“Magical house in Westgate, weardale”
other travellers have booked this property
Split Wood - 5 mins walk Kitchen with all add ons
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Split Wood - 5 mins walk
Kitchen with all add ons
Comfy Sitting Room with large log fire
Sleigh bed master bedroom - 17 Seconds
Twin room facing North to the hills and church
The hill behind - 10 mins
Attic for all the smalls
The hill over the other side - 15 minutes - rainbow not guaranteed
Westgate from the north
High Force Waterfall - 25 minuts
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Jenny H
Saint-Front-sur-Lemance, France
“Magical house in Westgate, weardale”
Reviewed 19 December 2014 for a stay in December 2014

Black Dog House is a welcoming,cosy, comfortable quality home from home providing ideal accommodation for large party.We spent a magical December weekend with a family Chrissy dinner and snow falling to add atmosphere,enhanced by blazing log fire and woodburner. Children's playground opposite for Xmas treasure hunt.Super walks from Cottage door.15 mins to the Weardale Railway Polar Express trip and Stanhope Christmas Market.(06.12.2014) Pub across road.What more could one ask for!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The comfortable furnishings and homely feel.
Liked least: Pub closed at 9pm on Sunday in December.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
19 Dec 2014
Thank you so much for such a good review and also for taking the time to be informative. Good to know we are an alternative early Christmas venue as well! Hope to see you back another time with a juicy discount that isn't a turkey...
Andrew B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not quite what we expected”
Reviewed 5 November 2014 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

My wife has already submitted a review of the premises, (ScotlandGalaxy) and we attended together with her parents. I fully support my wife's review, and confirm that everything she said was accurate and honest. I felt her review was fair and more positive than negative, and was surprised that the owner suggested that any one interested in hiring the cottage only read the positive reviews ..... I absolutely don't agree with that. As he said - you can't please everyone all of the time, but it is only fair that all views be allowed to be voiced. I would point out that we did have initial problems when making the booking, but it was all sorted in the end, which is what my wife said. The facilities were pretty good but very dated. The seats in the sitting room were VERY uncomfortable. The dust and dog hairs was pretty ridiculous. Cleaning of lower surfaces definitely needs to be addressed.
We ended up leaving a day prior to expected because we really couldn't find anything else to do ..... Disappointing if you don't plan your stay, or can't walk very far.

Liked best: Nothing really
Liked least: The dirty condition of the premises
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
19 Dec 2014
Good to see you supporting your wife's view, as this is very important in life!

We'd love to see you back again to show that it is indeed a lovely place to stay and that you don't really need to plan. We have a number of options, maps and suggestions in our comprehensive folders at the House so with a bit of imagination one can easily enjoy the wonderful and unspoilt countryside.

I did refer to other good reviews, because thankfully those are the only ones that I presently have. That said, many thanks for your extra input, and I will surely pay attention to you and your wife's points and approach.

All the best in any case,

Martin
ScotlandG...
Scotland
“Sigh ......”
Reviewed 30 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014

I am always honest when it comes to these reviews, so going to put in all the information, as I believe it is relevant.
When I booked the cottage, I requested 4 nights - but I had put in the wrong dates which indicated only 3 nights. All emails referred to 4 nights.
When I put the information into the website, it gave me a price of £315.08 but was sent an invoice for £480. When I queried this, it was blamed on a 'glitch' on the website.
I paid the deposit immediately and returned the required documents. A few months later I received an email asking if I still wanted to hire the cottage as there were other people who had enquired. I confirmed I still wished to rent the accommodation..... It later transpired that the reason for the email was because my payment hadn't been recorded against my booking and I was required to confirm that payment had been made - despite me having an email from the owner confirming payment had been received.
A few weeks prior to the holiday, I messaged to confirm the 4 night booking, to be told I was only booked in for 3 nights, and there would be an additional payment of £150 for one more night accommodation. I was absolutely horrified by this!!!!! The owner agreed to allow us to stay the extra night at no extra charge as I has requested to cancel the holiday.
SIGH!!!!
So when making a booking, please ensure you keep all your paper work and confirmation of everything.

Now for the actual cottage.
Good Points:
Kitchen very well stocked with electrical equipment
Plenty crockery and cutlery and other small items - except for kitchen towels.
Some crockery had chips out of them so should really be disposed of.
The cottage was warm and well heated, and easy to use.
Bedrooms were a good size.
All beds on the first floor were comfortable and bed linen was clean.
A good variety of pillows to choose from.
The selection of extra jackets was very useful and appreciated.

Bad points:
No parking outside the premises. Had to park across the drive, unload, then move the vehicle to the layby.
The outside areas are very very small, lots of weeks and quite untidy.
The carpets in the sitting room were dirty and lots of marks.
The furniture in the sitting room is disappointing, dated, very uncomfortable and dirty. Lots of dog hairs on a lot of the furniture. My husband has hay fever and struggled a bit.
The floor in the dining area was filthy - particularly under the units. Again, lots of animal fur floating around.
Towels are not very good quality. Found it difficult to get dry with them. Also very small so suggest you take your own.

My dad walks with a walking stick. The stairs are very narrow and he found them difficult to navigate. Ended up having to come down the stairs backwards to keep his stability. My mum also found the stairs quite steep.

We were so disappointed we ended up leaving a day before we should have .......
Sigh ......

Liked best: Nothing
Liked least: Dirty house, uncomfortable chairs
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
4 Nov 2014
It is a sadness to me that you cannot please everyone all the time, and that whatever you do in a positive way is forgotten. I obviously welcome genuine feedback and there are some valuable points here for which I shall of course pay attention. That said, the facts of the matter were quite different in many instances from that portrayed, and I genuinely tried my very hardest to look after the group that stayed. I therefore would only ask that any visitors read all the other reviews here, or the only positive reviews (4 and five stars and over 25 of them) on other sites, before jumping to any conclusions. Do ask in your dealings with me if you would like the background to this case.
In frustration, Martin
Peter S
Durham, United Kingdom
“A beautiful environment to be in!”
Reviewed 20 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014

A very beautiful old country cottage in beautiful peaceful surroundings.
Inside is lovely and spacious, with everything you could possibly need
for a great weekend. Beds are fantastic - as are the bedrooms!

It's very difficult to find any faults - if you want a good base for Weardale,
going walking or otherwise, then this is the place!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Inside is full of character!
Liked least: The neighbours
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
20 Jul 2018
I love the 'difficult to find fault' bit!! Many thanks and see you again.
libby m
“Great cottage in a superb location !”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 for a stay in April 2014

An excellent base to explore the surrounding countryside, from a massive open fire to a dinner table big enough to seat 8 Black Dog has it all. Fantastic river walks just across the road by the park and just round the corner from the pub.
The house has limited outside space but this is more than made up with the space inside, we were two families with eight bikes and four kids aged from 5-8.
If you're looking for boutique style accommodation then this is not for you but, if you're after excellent period accommodation geographically located to take advantage of all the area has to offer then this will be right up your street

20 Jul 2018
Thank you for a lovely review Libby, and boutique doesn't really suit Weardale, and I love it for that. Hope to see you again, and all the best, Martin
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing