“Quirky apartment in a central location”
other travellers have booked this property
Upstairs stylish twin bedroom of Moonlight Apartment, Durham Fully equipped Kitchen in Moonlight Apartment, Durham
Check Availability
Historic Street View from Moonlight Apartment, Durham
Upstairs Lounging Area in Moonlight Apartment, Durham
Ultimate 5-sytar relaxation in Moonlight Apartment, Durham
Recline on the Drift Chair in Moonlight Apartment, Durham
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Condo/Apartment -
2 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 4
Durham, Durham, England

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 99 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Any
Wormple
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Quirky apartment in a central location”
Reviewed 26 June 2015 for a stay in April 2015

That's quirky in a good way – if you want standardised accommodation where you know exactly what to expect then stay in a Premier Inn. If you want to pay the same price but have an apartment in the heart of Durham then this is a great option. Ray was very accommodating and fitted us in for a one-night stop-over. He was also very helpful with advice on restaurants (Zen was great) and with additional arrangements. If we’d been staying longer this would have been perfect – on-site parking, much more space than a hotel room, and a moment’s walk from the heart of the city. Moonlight gets my five stars not for being five star hotel quality but for being a five star alternative to blandness.

Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway
Celeste F
Singapore, Singapore
“A Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 26 June 2015 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

I live in Singapore but travel to England at least once a year to visit my sons who have been studying at Durham University. Moonlight is amazing - very central and comfortable. From there it is only a 5 min walk to my favourite coffee shop - Flat White and 6 minutes to the High Street. I don't like eating out all the time when I am travelling but at Moonlight (or Oasis - I have stayed there too) I can cook for my sons and their friends. My sons love coming to the apartment as it is a welcome change from university accommodation. I am usually there in the colder months and the heating is excellent. My sons have even been known to bring their washing over to the apartment for me to do for them on occasion! Moonlight is a wonderful, relaxing place to stay in a very central location. I love it!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The beautiful kitchen windows which let the sunlight come streaming in in the colder months!
Liked least: That other people like it too and I have to be super organised to be able to book it when I need it.
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
Esther992...
France
“Perfect if you need to stay in the Center of Durham”
Reviewed 25 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

We loved everything. The immediate access to the city center within a few seconds. The comfort of the flat itself and the space. We parked our car for free in the underground car park. We were received with a bottle and some goodies and Ray had planned our breakfast also. Thank you Ray! We loved it.
I would stay there again!

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Claribell...
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Over hyped, then let down by the detail”
Reviewed 31 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015
person found this review helpful

I booked this apartment because it looked so lovely on its website – and at first glance, it is stylish and a bit quirky, but it's in the detail where there are problems. I'll try to be brief; after all, no one needs to know about every little niggle!

First, the parking. Great to have your own parking space so close to Durham city centre, but the garage light wasn't working all 5 days we were there and we were underground, manoeuvring into a very tight space between concrete columns.

Next, the entrance and public staircases & corridors. Stained carpets and a strange smell of fish. Suffice to say that student accommodation springs to mind. Just awful! I know it's not the responsibility of just one owner, but someone needs to get it sorted!

The apartment:

Entrance Hall – Very attractive and welcoming.

Sitting room/ Dining area – large and light, stylish touches, but we found the furniture uncomfortable. It was dusty and we found several bits of glass on the carpet which obviously hadn't been hoovered up. Also, it's very noisy from early in the morning until late at night. You are overlooking a very busy main road with lots of emergency vehicles screaming past!

Kitchen – equipped as you'd expect in a holiday home, but done “on the cheap” with basic makes of white goods and equipment, which is not really what you would expect at this price, but the main problem was that everything was dirty, from a sticky floor to crumbs left in the bread bin and remains of food in the cupboard, dishwasher, fridge and pans. Much of the crockery was chipped and scratched and the pans were worn out.

In fairness, Ray the owner came and had a clean around when we brought these issues to his attention and had I not read other reviews later, I would have thought this was an unfortunate “one-off” oversight. However, I note that in at least 3 recent reviews cleaning (or lack of it!) and basic maintenance has been a problem which has obviously not been addressed. Also, I feel a bit insulted after being fobbed off with the story that new crockery etc is on order from Habitat – everything we used was labelled Tesco, Argos, Ikea or Lidl!

Bathroom – Not a great design; the bath is positioned so that you can't open (or clean!) the window without climbing into the bath and again there are basic maintenance issues, like a bath with no overflow plumbed in, a piece of cardboard instead of a proper flush, nowhere near enough toiletries for a 4 night stay (as promised on the website) and another sticky floor.

Bedroom – Comfortable bed, but again, it blocks access to the window so you can't open or clean it.

Upstairs sleeping area – I am just glad that I wasn't sleeping here! Basic single beds with very soft, thin mattresses, an amazingly uncomfortable day bed and the only good point, a fire escape. Perhaps a couple of teenagers or children would appreciate their own space up here, but it's advertised as being suitable for 2 adults!

This isn't to say we didn't enjoy our time in Durham, because we did, but it wasn't enhanced by staying in the Moonlight Apartment. It could be lovely with a bit of TLC, but as it was, we consider it poor value for what we paid and wouldn't stay here again.

Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: Easy access to city centre
Liked least: Cleaning and maintenance issues
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
1 Jun 2015
Clearly we didn't meet your expectations, and I share your disappointment in that respect.
The car park lighting was being rewired; we can only agree it made parking a bit of a challenge.
As with the other matters affecting the public areas of this shared building containing 40 apartments, (although maybe not the cooking preferences of other residents), we do have a residents' association which keeps pressure on the landlords to maintain standards. It's a continual battle in any such property, I suppose.
The situation of the apartment overlooking the streets of Durham inevitably incurs some noise from outside, although this is suppressed to some extent by the double glazing; our Oasis apartment, nearer the rear of the building, is perhaps a better bet for those who are light sleepers.
Kitchen - following your helpful feedback when you were in the apartment, we have just replaced everything in the kitchen which was getting a bit tired. A bit late for your visit, but that includes a nice new Nespresso coffee machine, if you find that more impressive than a Tesco kettle!
There was no excuse for the crumbs, and of course we have sat down with our cleaner and reminded her what a 5-star rating means. Incidentally, we have just been re-assessed and inspected by Visit Britain, who award these star ratings, and we did demonstrate a five-star standard again to their satisfaction. It turns out she was using some foolishly inappropriate cleaner on the floors which made them sticky.
I'm talking to the plumber about the bath overflow, of course; but I can't agree the lavatory flush is cardboard - although I know the mechanism is 'spongy', it's well engineered behind the flush plate with quite solid plastics.
The upstairs beds were deliberately set up with different mattresses (one harder than the other) to give guests a choice. Perhaps we went a bit too far with the softer one! I can't say I've ever spent a lot of time on the day-bed, but others seem to find it comfortable enough to watch the TV and have a snooze I believe.
Finally, at £ 120 per night, I'm interested to learn you thought this was less than good value; and if you'd remembered to ask me when I came in to remedy the cleaning problems [and deliver your bottle of Champagne in compensation for them], I would certainly have produced some additional toiletries. Sorry...
Michael C
London, United Kingdom
“Great base from which to explore Durham City and surrounding area”
Reviewed 14 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015

I took my two grandchildren aged 9 and 6 years to Durham intending to introduce them to the area. My mother was born and raised in Hetton-Le-Hole and I wanted them to see some of their heritage. Moonlight Apartment is in an excellent position from which to explore the City centre on foot leaving the car in the secure car park. The Cathedral, The Castle, The DLI Museum are all in walking distance as were a great selection of places to eat. Beamish is less than a 30 minute drive away as was the Coast and outlying villages.
Moonlight apartment was well equipped and a much better option and value than a hotel for the three of us. There were some minor issues if you want to find fault but nothing that detracted from a great stay. Yes the bedrooms on second and third floors face out onto a main road and there is some noise but nothing significant. We stayed during the Easter holiday period and the University was closed so not many students about.
All in all a great apartment in a great city centre location.
The Grandchildren voted it the best break yet and are pestering me for a return visit.

Liked best: Spacious accommodation, Secure parking, Location
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing