“Sadly it’s not open”

Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 66
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Due to a close family bereavement the restaurant has closed sorry for any inconvenience caused. On behalf of Fred and I thank you so much for the last 7 years
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Went to try the fish at Fatbellys but it’s closed. I don’t know if it’s a seasonal thing. Hope it’s open again soon.

3  Thank Johntrombone

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Today was the last day that the restaurant was open until next year. The food was fabulous and nothing was too much trouble. Very friendly and professional. If you want a great seafood restaurant in North Devon this is the place to go. Had halibut with a crispy potato topping with a cream sauce with mussels,, served with asparagus and samphire. All I can say Is YUM. Really shouldn't share this gem of a restaurant because it is tiny and I might not be able to get a table!!!!!

1  Thank Gina A
Reviewed 27 August 2017

The only fish I have ever eaten is cod, with chips :-) so I was somewhat apprehensive when my wife and I attended this restaurant for a family get-to-gether. We were a party of ten including two young children. We were seated upstairs in a lovely room which was bright and airy. The menu choice was vast and varied and we decided on the mixed platter, we had three of these for eight adults, they included paella, squid, chilli prawns, mouses, gratin potatoes and veg. I tried everything and must say I'm converted and will definitely be eating here again. Although fish fingers are not on the menu, they were made especially for one of the children and you have never seen anything like them, they were amazing as I also tried them. The wine list was excellent and I can recommend the Shiraz. The service was impeccable and the food well presented and tasty. This restaurant is a hidden gem. When it re opens walk to the small alley at the bottom of the high street and give it a try, even if you are not a sea food lover like me you will definitely be converted. Oh and they do other food as well, one of our party had lamb.

1  Thank Lynnnigel
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

After an exhausting day a Exmoor Zoo we rolled into Fatbelly Fred's early for our reservation to be greeted with warmth and smiles. The Seafood platter was a joy, tremendously generous in portion size and the Turbot perfectly cooked also. Attended by professional and knowledgeable staff.....Can't wait to return. Facilities are classic contemporary and spotlessly clean.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Although we had an enjoyable meal & the service was good,
two of our party who had the turbot were rather poorly the next morning, whereas the others were fine.
It just put a dampener on the evening.
I'm sure come February we'll be back...

FATBELLYFRED, Owner at Fatbelly Fred's, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

First of all i am massively disappointed that you feel that the most popular dish we have on our menu is the only cause for the 2 people in your party to feel poorly.
Why, if this is the case would you not contact us to let us know? Instead you feel that the Tripadvisor should be the platform to tell the world that we have possibly poisoned someone.
There are numerous viruses going around at the moment, you only need refer to your local surgeries and hospitals to see this.
The Turbot arrives daily and has been our most popular dish for some time and so turns over very quickly resulting in our diners getting the freshest possible produce, no one else on that day, previous days or after has come forward to notify us of any sort of problem.Without confirmation from a medical advisor i do not feel that the Turbot is to blame on this occasion.
I'm unsure as to whether this is a genuine review, to drop us in the rankings or so it would be there for everyone to see when we reopen next year, or even to perhaps effect the judging in various awards we've been entered into.
"Mixed Emotions indeed"