“Valentine lunch ”

Ranked #16 of 160 Restaurants in Barnstaple
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 39
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Claytons & The Glasshouse offer some of the finest food and drink experiences available in North Devon. We stock a wide range of spirits, beers, wines and ciders to suit every taste, whilst our Head Chef rustles up some truly special dishes in the kitchen. Perfect for a special occasion, party or just a quiet dinner under the beautiful glass ceiling of The Glasshouse upstairs. We're also the favourite haunt for numerous after-work and weekend evening drinkers, offering sumptuous cocktails, unique gin experiences and the chance to sample something completely new.
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Really loved our lunch at Claytons. Because it was Valentines Day, my partner booked this morning. Absolutely stunning, relaxed atmosphere, food delicious and service professional. Got to see an old friend too, which was a bonus. Thank you Claytons, you done us proud xx

Reviewed 10 February 2018

Had checked out the menu prior to ordering. 1 vegan starter, 2 vegan mains and a handful of vegan sides - happy to book. When we arrived and looked at the menu, there was only 1 vegan main and this contained mozzarella. When I asked the waiter about this he advised that the menus had been printed with errors, stating dishes were vegan when they were not. I then asked for some help choosing and ordered the only vegan items on the menu (other than a starter salad which was pretty pricey at £9) - chips, olives, houmous and flatbreads. It was all very nice, but I was very disappointed at not being able to order the more 'normal'/fuller meal I'd seen advertised on their website. Information needs to be updated and correct as did feel that I'd booked under false pretences really. Would be very unlikely to return.

Reviewed 4 February 2018

Although I've eaten at Claytons before, it was years ago although I do recall it as an excellent experience. This was no exception.

My best man had a burger and unusually for me I went for their beetroot vegetarian burger. It was absolutely excellent.

Throughout our dining experience staff were attentive and it just as it was years ago, it remains one of the best in Barnstaple.

Highly recommended and will undoubtedly return the next time I visit Barnstaple.

Reviewed 14 January 2018

Had a meal for two downstairs in the bar area as the restaurant was hosting a private party and we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food under it's new owners.
My partner had scallops to start which were lovely but unfortunately tepid by the time they reached the table. I had the heritage beetroot salad which was delicious and I would definitely have it again when we return.
I had the cod and my partner the sea bass which were both delicious but again not as hot as we would have liked.
Loved the redecoration of the bathrooms but they were freezing cold and the heater in the ladies not actually turned on which in January in not a pleasant experience.
So to summarise we loved it here and would recommend it but please try and get the food to the table hot and try and make the whole establishment warmer!

Reviewed 5 January 2018

We was lucky enough to be able to celebrate New Years Eve at Claytons what a fantastic night we had.Nothing was too much bother and let us change some food even though we had a set menu. Well done to all staff for all the hard work you put in to make this a memorable night for us (Our first in Barnstaple)Happy new year to you all and see you soon .