1,383 results
All reviews sauna and jacuzzi bit dated breakfast was buffet style lick of paint new owners weekend break view of the lake leisure facilities tea and coffee couldn't do enough full english lakes
Reviewed 1 July 2016

Like others have said the hotel could do with a full refurb which I believe is on the cards. Once this has been done it could be a grand place. It's got great views of the lake and a central position.
However at the moment it looks very tired and run down. Didn't use the hotel pool but it's situated in what looks like a old outhouse. Our room was very dated. The TV was a tiny portable, stained carpets, rust around the plug hole and strange blue stains in the bath. The grout could also do with a good steam clean.
When I go away I expect to stay in a place that is as good as my own home if not better.
After traveling down from Scotland where we stayed in a Hilton Spa hotel with dinner bed and breakfast I feel this hotel is rather overpriced.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Joe P, Hotel Manager at The Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2016

Dear fourstar2016

Thank you for posting a review. Since purchasing the hotel, we have identified a number of areas for improvement and are just finalising plans for a significant investment into the hotel including the full refurbishment of rooms and the front of house areas which will be commencing within the next few months. This is an exciting time for the hotel for as well as a refurbishment we will be adding new services to enhance your experience during your stay. We will be announcing our plans soon and we do hope you feel able to return and can experience first-hand the exciting changes we have made.

Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

Bitterly disappointed with this hotel.

My room was dirty (ie Dust in the folds of the curtains and when I moved the TV if you could call it that,it was obvious that under it hadn't been cleaned for a while) the decor was a throw back from the 60's, the bath room was tiny and my dog wouldn't have fitted in the bath if that's what it was supposed to be.

Staff were great and always happy to help.

Can't comment on the food as I skipped breakfast simply because of the cleanliness of the room,God only knows what state that the kitchen was in.

In serious need of a makeover

Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business

Dear daviebpoth

Thank you for posting a review.

I am sorry to read that your recent stay was spoilt by a housekeeping problem. Please accept my apology for the failure on our part to make your stay enjoyable. We pride ourselves on maintaining extremely high standards of hygiene and all our housekeeping staff undertake extensive training to ensure that all areas of the hotel are clean and safe for use by guests and staff. Please rest assured our kitchens are spotless, we have a food hygiene rating of 5.

The issues you have raised are being looked into as it is clear that the high standards that we set ourselves at The Hydro have not been met.

Thank you for mentioning our friendly and helpful staff.

Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

Stayed in March for one night. Very nice hotel big spacious and hotel has a lot of character. Dog friendly and a nice big bar. Staff friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was fantastic. Yes it might need a bit updating as people on here have said but for the price it can stay how it is for me. I will be back. :)

Stayed: March 2016

Dear Trev B

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for sharing your experience. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

We stayed for 3 days at the Hydro Hotel during a short stay in Windermere. The location is great, the lake is just a few minutes walk. Some decent restaurants in the area as well. Could use some renovation but overall had no complaints. We quite liked the overall ambience. Staff really helpful as well.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Spopalzai

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for mentioning our helpful staff. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

I stayed here for several nights on a group tour. My room was adequate, but as previous reviewers noted greatly in need of an update. Upon opening the door I found a bird in the room as someone had left the window open wide. Fortunately it flew out without leaving any gifts behind. THere was a faded bedspread that should have been in a jumble sale 10 years ago. Upon first using the sink I discovered it did not drain. Reported it to reception two days in a row. Hotel supposedly was full so I could not move. Sink was not fixed until five days passed. My fellow travelers compared it to Faulty Towers!
On the upside the hotel staff were all friendly and helpful, even in the face of adversity. Food was generally good and our group was rather amused by breakfast yogurt being parsed out one container at a time. Finally after several days someone brought yogurt and fruit salad to the room we used for breakfast which was separated from the room used by the big bus tours that arrived most every night for one night only.
My room was generally quiet. Perhaps because to get there required climbing three flights of increasingly narrow stairs. While considered historic I would not want to be in this building if there was a need for emergency evacuation.
I can only hope that the promised renovation of this property goes ahead soon. It could be a grand dame, but now is just sad.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Joe P, Hotel Manager at The Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2016

Dear SCalif

I am sorry that your recent stay was a disappointment. Please rest assured that all your comments and concerns have been fully noted, we always welcome guest feedback as it helps us to improve the goods and services that we offer our guests.

As you mention in your review, having identified a number of areas for improvement we are just finalising plans for a significant investment into the hotel including the full refurbishment of rooms and the front of house areas. Due to the size and age of the hotel a refurbishment on this scale takes a great deal of planning and organisation. The refurbishment will be carried out once the plans have been finalised and at a time when it will cause minimum inconvenience to our guests.