We visited the Old England on the 25/6/7 January. We had been visitors some years previously and were very pleased with the standards now been set.
We booked an executive double and upon arrival we were upgraded. The room was large clean and well fitted and had a lake view. The colour scheme was muted brown and gold and did not in our opinion enhance the rooms quality.
The bathroom was excellent and all the fittings modern and well maintained.
The room was well serviced throughout our stay.
The public rooms particularly the lounge was well decorated and offered excellent views of the lake.
The dining room was of a similar high standard. Dinner was haute cuisine (very good] with an option of steaks at a surcharge. The cheese board offered an excellent raange of English cheeses.
The continental breakfast was very good and we were never tempted by a cooked breakfast which carried a surcharge.
The reception and concierge service always provided service with a smile
The car parking was good [important in Windermere] though not adjacent to the hotel. A valet parking service was offered and I would suggest taking it up at least for the first visit as the car park though is only two hundred yards away when walking, pedestrianization calls for a short drive with two not obvious turns.
The staff were always helpful and always had a smile.
We shall be returning in the near future for another stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District