Upside: Wonderful setting right on Lake Windermere. We requested a lake view and stayed in a lovely room (145) for 2 nights to attend a family wedding. Our family stayed in 2 other rooms, which did not have a lake view but were large and well furnished. All our rooms were clean and very comfortable. High quality bathroom products. Bed and pillows very comfortable. Lovely breakfast. All staff polite and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
Downside: Expensive. Expect London prices for rooms, food and drink. The shower, although good would have been difficult for less able people to access. High step up and narrow door, which opened outwards and dripped water all over the floor.
Poor choice for dinner. We are not fussy eaters, but found it difficult to find something we wanted. Steaks tough. There was Internet access in the rooms, but no wifi. This is a major minus for such an expensive hotel. Wifi is an expectation these days in all rooms, in quality hotels. Our bill for 3 rooms for 2 nights was £1100+, although this included some drinks and dinner. Yet, I was expected to pay a £2 charge for using a credit card. I stay in many major hotels around the world and have never been asked to pay this before. I know it's petty, but I disputed this and the receptionist agreed to waive the charge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District