Booked two nights B&B,first night dinner with Superbreak.Was not looking forward to the valet parking,but it was fine.The car park we used was no more than 150 yards away.Our room overlooked the lake and can best be described as excellent.Dinner was not. There was a choice of four starters,plus soup.I am allergic to fish/seafood and hate squash with a passion.That left a choice of two.Likewise dessert,a choice of three plus cheese. The restaurant is huge with no shortage of diners;I fail to understand why the menu is so small.
Breakfast rated as among the best we have been served anywhere.Without exception,the staff were cheerful and gave the impression that they enjoyed their job.Particular mention must go to Paul on reception,who without asking changed our room as the one allocated was less suitable for those with mobility issues.(I walk with a stick)
Two minor niggles.On ordering gin&tonic,I do not expect premium gin and certainly not to be charged without being asked.
We were charged an excess for additional cost over that allowed for dinner.This was minimal but nowhere was it stated that there was an allowance.
All in all my wife and I were very happy with our stay and would certainly return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District