“Nice area to walk through”

Lorton Meadows Conservation Centre & Nature Reserve
Ranked #37 of 50 things to do in Weymouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Lorton Meadows Conservation Centre & Nature Reserve, owned and run by Dorset Wildlife Trust. The Centre includes: displays, wildlife webcams, wildlife books & gifts, Dorset coffees, teas and flapjacks (all major cards accepted), toilets, parking (inc disabled facilities) & bike racks. Please phone for opening times. Situated on the edge of Weymouth the nature reserve covers 75 hectares of wildflower meadows, woodland copses and mature hedges, which attract a variety of bird & butterfly species. You're welcome to explore on our 5 nature trails, including a short wheelchair & buggy accessible path around Withy Woods & the picnic area. Throughout the year we run a programme of events & activities for children, adults & families - please see our website events lists. We also run regular Volunteer Conservation Tasks and offer school educational visits. Lorton Meadows is part of the Lorton Valley Nature Park, which also includes Lodmoor (RSPB) & Two Mile Coppice (Woodland Trust) reserves.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed 9 September 2017

I think the main focus is oriented to schools. It took us less than an hour to go round the trail. Nevertheless, these conservation sites are important and need to be supported.

Date of experience: September 2017
Patrick_Jefferies, Volunteer at Lorton Meadows Conservation Centre & Nature Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Hi John and thank you for your comments, may I add that we have acquired extra land and will be updating routes but even still there are a lot to explore and in the centre all information, toilets and refreshments await. We also do guided walks with different themes which can be found on Dorset Wildlife's trust website.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"stroll"
"children"

Reviewed 16 July 2017

We took our little granddaughter down to centre and she really enjoyed herself looking at the things on display, walking through the wood trails and looking at the carvings

Date of experience: July 2017

Many thanks for you review Tony and I do hope to see you all revisiting the site soon. Don't forget all the events the adults and children are available on Dorset Wildlife Trust website.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

The woodland walk I ventured on yesterday was a true gem. Vicky, the excellent leader of the walk, informed the participants of the geology and the flora and fauna as we encountered it. She was very knowledgeable. She also gave us the opportunity to identify things ourselves to improve our knowledge as we walked through the beautiful meadows and woodland with the other participants. I shall be definitely coming to other events here. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Date of experience: May 2017

Thank you Christopher and we are so glad you enjoyed your visit and we all look forward to your returning visits.

Reviewed 4 December 2016

THANKYOU TO STEPH AND VICKY, WITH HELPERS DAVE AND CHRIS ( PERFECT ELF VOLUNTEERS ) you made a wonderful afternoon, with your skills and enthusiasm to all of us, every age and aims and abilities. I loved my decoartaion which is already admired on the door at home. It was great to be outside and collect the foliage then be inside to create the wreaths....with coffee and mince pies and juice with a lovely group of people. I enjoyed learning of the Group activities and your work.....hence joined as family membership that day. See you again soon "

Date of experience: December 2016
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 December 2015

I took my son's dog down here for walk after being recommended by a friend.
Be careful of the drive down to the car park, once you pass the new housing development, the track becomes single lane, with probably one passing place.
When I visited it raining, and a little miserable weather wise.
Still I found one of the conveniently placed maps for walkers etc. We set off on the Ewe Leaze trail, about 1- 1 1/2 hrs walk. The map is easy to follow, and the route is interesting. On the way down to the reserve you cross a railway line and the by pass. Surprisingly, there is little intrusive noise.
At my time of visiting the centre was actually shut, or I would have bought a hot drink to support the Dorset Wildlife Trust who run the reserve.
Now I know where this reserve is, I will return on a day with better weather.

Date of experience: December 2015