Lorton Meadows Conservation Centre & Nature Reserve
Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
A Wonderful Place

I took my five year old to the centre to build a ‘bug hotel’. Never been to Lorton before and... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Forbes83
Swanage
via mobile
Lovely and peaceful

My in-laws live just around the corner, so we took a short walk to the meadows and then enjoyed a... read more

Reviewed 29 August 2018
Bill H
via mobile

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Weymouth
from US$ 126.10
More Info
from US$ 115.50
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 December 2015

What a gem, after living in the area for over 10 years and often driving past the sign and turning for Lorton Meadows we finally made it here. A perfect spot, great views and varied walking, you can be in the woods and feel in the country even though you're so close to town. Great dog walking spot, just be aware it can get a bit muddy out of season and due to the long grass there can be ticks. The Dorset Wildlife Trust really have done something special here.

Reviewed 29 September 2015

I took my niece and great nephews to Lorton for a 'Pond Dipping' seesion and had a wonderful time with them examining the amazing selection of tiny creatures found in the pond. The boys were thoroughly engrossed in the activity and happily concentrated for 1.5 hours spotting strange animals with the magnifiers. There were drawing materials inside the information centre and a selection of books and gifts to buy. When we had a walk in the meadows, we spotted butterflies and lots of blackberries - yum!

Reviewed 25 June 2015 via mobile

Lorton Meadows is an absolutely stunning place to visit. I walk my dog here regularly and it is beautiful; a real hidden gem. The fields are absolutely stunning classical Meadows filled with butter cups, cornflowers and a variety of wildlife. Everything is clearly signposted and it really is a place to get away from the noise and pollution of every day life.
Be aware that this is not a day out so much as a place to walk so it's probably not recommended for very young children unless you're able to carry them or put them in a carry pack but it is a fantastic place to walk with the dog and the family!

Reviewed 30 May 2015

Lorton is a hidden gem - a peaceful oasis that you'd barely know is a stone's throw from the centre of Weymouth.

It's a vast patchwork of wildflower meadows and woodland, packed full with birds, bees and butterflies.

2  Thank Matt W
Reviewed 12 May 2015

Take a family out to visit an attraction and the chances are that your wallet will be seriously depleted, so in an age where everything seems to cost more and more it was a real pleasure to visit this nature reserve which is absolutely free.
The rough track down to the Centre gives advance warning that this is a truly rural setting.
The Centre itself offers numerous information boards dealing with the type of wildlife and habitat setting you are likely to come across as well as offering a a number of tables and benches, very useful if your day happens to be a wet one and you need somewhere to regroup over the sandwiches.
This is a true family attraction, so toilets have to be a major consideration for the little ones and not only does the Centre have both male and female but a special toilet for disabled people as well. All of them were clean and well kept.
My day was blazing sunshine so, before I went out on a walk, I took the time to stroll towards the picnic area, passing an open sided shed on the way which contains plank seating below more information boards, again to enable visitors to be informed under shelter if the weather turns.
Go through a little gate and the picnic area open out before you with a children play area complete with wooden equipment and wooden animal figures on poles.
The play area ends at the top where people can walk down towards a series of picnic tables not far from a pond with a small platform jutting out into it in case youngsters want to go pond dipping.
Back at the Centre, which has parking for 15-20 cars, I stood for a moment by an area which has several beehives and watched the industrious creatures come and go.
A nearby signpost set me on my way along a nature trail and I was soon striding over sward which rose slowly until I reached Green Hill where I was surrounded by an array of newly planted oak trees.
I like oaks and so was mentally congratulating Dorset Wildlife Trust for planting them when I saw a small notice which told me they'd had nothing to do with it.Instead, the oaks owed their existence to forgetful jays which had buried acorns for food in hard times and had then forgotten where they'd put them. Still a very effective way of creating new oaks.
My way continued on and I was soon plunging into dense woodland with paths going off in all directions.
I followed one until it crossed a small stream and then I doubled back to try another which I discovered eventually brought walkers back to the Centre.
Along the way I met a man out walking his dog who praised the reserve for its myriad birdlife and some very beautiful wild flowers including orchids.
Almost everywhere you go there are signs of habitat work be it carefully piled logs or simply some hazel hurdles put up to shield a bird feeding station so people can creep up and see them feeding without disturbing the birds.
Even the entry area to the side of the Centre has been put to good use and planted with apple trees which were in full blossom when I was there.
I spent a very happy two hours here and could have spent more, but I had not thought to bring a picnic with me. Next time I'll remember because Lorton Meadows is an ideal day out with perhaps the morning spent dramping trails and paths before lunch in the picnic area and an afternoon spent round the pond or in the Centre. A wonderful place to visit, enjoy and relax.

5  Thank singhasam