“The unroyal royal”

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Brighton, United Kingdom
“The unroyal royal”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Not a good start when the first thing you see in reception is a sign you can upgrade your room,basically it's saying you've got a crap room if you don't pay extra. To start with my room 309 was shabby but clean and in desperate need of a refurb. However the room didn't get hoovered for a whole week. Also there was a massive boulge in the ceiling when there must of been a flood on the floor above. On the other hand, we had great views from our windows and the hotel is probably in the best location you could ask for. What i found most annoying about the room was the TV. I could only get bbc1 and bbc2. I had to stare at a picture of a kitchen on itv and a picture of 2 fillets of cod on channel 4 ,for the whole week. Lastly the beds were quite uncomfortable as you could feel the springs. However you could tell they have done up the public areas of the hotel for the Olympics. The food was alright but very basic. I thought the breakfast was very nice. I thought the waiters and waitresses were very hardworking unlike the restaurant manager who didn't do anything. Also they seemed confused about how ordering the drinks worked. I liked the games room that had a snooker table. The hotel had 2 lifts i preferred the old fashioned lift with the two gates, like the one in the Titanic.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank emlouise4
ManagerOfRoyalHotel, General Manager at Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I completely agree that we are in an excellent location with great views. I can only apologise for the television in your room, this has been rectified. Our restaurant staff have now received additional training regarding drinks ordering. I look forward to seeing you again should you return.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We have just returned from a 3 day break, 15th - 18th June, at the Royal Hotel Weymouth.

The room we had, 108, was clean with a wonderful sea view, however there was only 1 bar of soap presented, no shower or bath gel, shower cap etc. The extractor fan in the Bathroom was extremely noisy and vibrating badly, damp patches on the wall spoiled the otherwise good decoration and the mattresses were uncomfortable with the springs being felt through the covers.
Room 106, which the remainder of our party had was also just acceptable, but the room further down the corridor was vacated on the day we arrived and the door to that room left open, with all lights blazing together with removed bed linen left outside the room in the corridor for the whole time we were there.
The dining experience was a nightmare. Queuing up for a table for 10 - 15 minutes, no bread rolls offered and when we asked for some we were handed rolls from an adjacent table that other people had not used. This happened each time we dined. A used wine glass was also handed to us when we asked for a replacement glass.

Food quality, presentation and choice was very poor, reminiscent of school dinners/ hospital food and obviously produced to a very tight budget.

There were far too many guests due to overnight tourers, and the dining room completely understaffed. We would have left after the first evening had it not been for our companions and the thought that it could not get worse, but unbelievably it did.
On the Saturday evening we were informed that there were 117, (or was it 170), guests for a dining room that catered for 85. The same few waitresses were taking orders, serving and clearing tables. One waitress in particular was quite rude and made it clear that we were outstaying our visit to the table even though we had to wait quite a long time to get that table and she wanted to clear up. Tea/Coffee was removed from the coffee bar before we had finished dining so that we were denied these facilities on all three nights that we were there. The hotel dining times state that evening meal was up to 19:30 and although we had to wait in line, we were there before 19:30. on each evening. It was patently obvious that the serving staff objected to us being one of the last to leave our table, and made a big fuss about clearing up around us whilst we were still eating.

Empty plates were removed from our table even though not all of us had finished, and menus were collected and dropped loudly in a heap by our table which was near the entrance, quite pointedly although were were still eating. We were made to feel very uncomfortable.

On our last evening we retired to the bar and tried to order cocktails, as advertised on the tables, but the barman did not seem able, or willing, to produce them.

On several occasions, the receptionists were to be seen eating their dinner whilst attending the desk, extremely unprofessional.

The final morning at breakfast was reasonably calm and efficient and it was noticeable that the waitress with the obvious chip on her shoulder was missing.

My wife and I recommended this Hotel following a very good experience with your Coast & Country Hotel breaks in Tenby last year and Bournemouth earlier this year. The difference between them and Weymouth is unbelievable.

All in all the worst dining experience all four of us have ever undergone, and we have travelled extensively around the World. The staff at the Royal Hotel Weymouth made " Fawlty Towers" look slick and professional.

You seriously need to get someone in there to observe what's going on. I would not recommend this Hotel, or Shearing Holidays to anyone based on this experience.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
19 Thank Robert C
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. Im pleased that you found your room clean and enjoyed the lovely sea view. Our number one priority is ensuring guests are comfortable and enjoy their stay, I’m sorry that on this occasion this was not met. Should you have bought the issues regarding your room to our attention then we would have rectified them immediately. I am extremely surprised about your report of bedding being left outside for your three day stay, as our housekeeping staff clean every room, everyday. In addition to this we have our maintenance man and management who are in the corridors at various points during the day. Our Hotel is frequently full and we have sufficient rooms for a large number of guests, we did not have too many guests. However we have noted the issues raised and are investigating them.

Travellers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

Leeds
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I returned yesterday from a week at this hotel. Since my last visit all the public rooms (except games room) seem to have been refurbished and it is nice. I had a single sea view room with balcony, with full bathroom. It was ok. the only fault was the carpet was badly stained and sticky and made me glad ihad taken my slippers ! I did not report this carpet till the day I went home cause I thought they may move me to another room which was not as nice. I had a flat screen tv but the first few days could only get one chanel (not the football one!) then mid week got all the digital ones. Now the food ! Breakfast was ok. I had first slot at 6 pm for dinner. The food was really not that good. For example a starter one day was ravioli. I got 4 and a half pieces on a tiny plate - bearing in mind each piece is as big as a postage stamp! The quality, choice and presentation of the food did not compare with Shearings Savoy Hotel at Bournemouth. Toast came on a side plate - the first time ever i had not had toast in the rack, but what I did notlike was the make/serve coffee yourself at the end of the meal. For the first few days you had to leave your table to go to the back of the dining room take a cup, sachet of coffee - open it (and to be fair old folks with rheumy hands had a problem) then fill the hot water into your cup from a flask then carry it back to your table. After a few days the coffee was made up into the flask but a few of the old folk still had trouble carrying the cups back. My deal was not so bad, £320 for one week half board and home connect taxi and single room supplement, but one old couple had paid the full price of £1,200 - not good considering last month we went to an all inclusive holiday in ibiza, modern hotel, two pools marvellous for £400 each !!! Now the big question would I go back ? If I got the same room (with clean carpet) if i paid the same price, I would consider it, but would not pay any more. The hotel has a fabulous position on the sea front, and transport to Monkey World is easy (that was the reason for my visit) Any questions i'll be happy to answer.

Room Tip: I had 311 but it had a french window to a balcony, which did not close! Pay extra for a sea facing...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
11 Thank terrierdog
Thank you for taking the time out to review your stay with us. I’m pleased you liked the refurbishments that the hotel has undergone. We have extremely high cleaning standards and I’m sorry that you felt this was not reached with your carpet. Should you have reported it, then one of our friendly housekeeping staff would have rectified it immediately. We work closely with our staff to continually improve our services and your comments regarding the food have been passed on to our Chef. I am extremely pleased you took advantage of the Hotels fantastic location. We hope that you do decide to return again.
Nontron, France
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stopped by for lunch in the functional dining room. It was unbelievably bad and just what gives English cooking such a bad name. We were unable to eat any of it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank 8291em
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We have extremely high standards of the food we serve. I’m so sorry on this occasion, these standards were not met. I’m sure that if you would have reported it to one of our friendly staff it would have rectified it immediately. Should you return I would recommend one of our extremely popular cream teas.
Bolton
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I first stayed at the Royal Hotel in 2007 with my husband and we both enjoyed our holiday immensely. Our only disappointment was the evening entertainment at that time.

I again stayed at the Royal with my sister 2 weeks ago. The hotel has been refurbished completely apart from some bedrooms, I think. We both had a single bedroom. Mine was the smaller room but was adequate for one person, really comfortable bed, enough storage space, small shower room. It was newly decorated and the furnishings were really nice. My sister's single room was furnished the same but she did have a side sea view.

The Reception area, lounge, bar and dining room had been beautifully refurbished (except the bar lounge was a little dark). All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was excellent. The evening meals were good. The service was excellent. We chose 6.15 as a evening meal time and I am glad we did as guests did queue after 7.00pm. (We had to chose a time slot for our evening meal). We kept the same table all week.

I have to say that the entertainment had not improved at all since 2007 and was actually not as good. However, my sister and I spent our days either out on the coach tours, touring by ourselves or walking and we also walked in the evenings and preferred to just chat in the lounge bar when we got back.

On return to the Hotel from a trip out one day we found a bucket in the corridor between our bedrooms. There had been a leak from the floor above and the bucket was catching the drips. The problem was dealt with and did not affect us in any way, except to make us laugh.

All in all we had a very enjoyable stay at the Royal Hotel and can recommend it to others. All I can say is that if evening entertainment is on the top of your holiday list then this is not the Hotel for you but the Royal is a very comfortable and pleasant Hotel. We also enjoyed a heatwave for the whole of our stay which was a bonus!

I must add that the holiday was a Shearings coach tour and would like to say that Lorraine was an excellent coach driver and guide as was her husband/partner Rory who took us out on the coach on our half day trip to West Bay.

The Royal Hotel is in a prime spot on the promenade and Weymouth is an excellent location for sight seeing in Dorset.

Room Tip: Book well in advance.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sandra I
Thank you for being our guests (again). I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your lovely comments to Rory and Lorraine. Our fantastic location makes us extremely popular all year round. I look forward to welcoming you back!