“A chilled out relaxing holiday for all the family - make your own mind up.”

Moonfleet Manor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
London
“A chilled out relaxing holiday for all the family - make your own mind up.”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We booked to come and spend the August bank holiday at Moonfleet Manor after reading the Sunday Times review. As the weekend drew closer, we read all the latest Tripadvisor reviews and almost cancelled our trip here as the reviews seemed so bad. I'm so glad we didn't.

Yes the hotel does need a little work. It could do with a gym for example and the Verandah which houses the huge kids area could do with some updating and the pool could do with some refreshing. But the crèche is brilliant for the kids. Ours absolutely loved it. There are lots of activities both inside and out to keep kids occupied. The nannies are fantastic. I felt our children were completely safe and happy in their hands. For us as adults, there was a spa, a huge snooker room, lots of lounges where we could just chill and relax. Previous reviews have said that there weren't enough staff around but personally I don't want to be pestered by a lot of bored waiters. I just wanted to chill out and that's what we did. It was heavenly. We had time for ourselves and time with the kids.

The food was lovely. In fact I ate way too much and our kids devoured everything they were given. Yes breakfast was not cordon bleu but so what, I didn't have to cook it. The rooms were not superstar luxurious and could do with a bit of updating but there were clean and frankly if you want hotel du vin luxury, go to hotel du vin but what can you do with the kids there?

Lastly the staff were really friendly and made our stay so enjoyable. They looked after our kids extremely well and didn't bug us. They left us to relax but were there when they needed us.

This was the perfect hotel for parents with young children: beautiful countryside, lovely food and plenty of time to relax. Worth it's weight in gold! Don't take the trip advisor reviews at face value, come here and judge for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

4 Thank Farringford
Neil C, General Manager at Moonfleet Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear Farringford,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post a review. We are delighted that you had such a good time and the whole team thank you for your comments.
We have lots of exciting plans going on over the next few months, so please do keep up to date on our facebook page and we look forward to welcoming you back to Moonfleet very soon!
Kind regards
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

i have been to moonfleet 4 times in the last 10 years and can honestly say that there is no other place like it. my first visit was during a storm and as i drove down a narrow windy road a beautiful house emerged - that kind of set the magic in place for me. So much so I honeymooned there. We have just returned from a 4 night stay and had a wonderful, relaxing time.

The house has the feel of a country home - the decor is qwerky and relaxed and very comfortable. There are some areas earmarked for updates (the pool being one) but this does not detract from the experience.

This trip we had a family set of rooms - samson & pollock - beautiful, large rooms.

The pleasures to be had at moonfleet are simple - food, spending time with family, long walks, swims and games such as tennis, bowling etc. My kids loved every minute - managing to keep a 5 and 13 year old equally entertained - not an easy task. Snoopy (the hotel dog) is adorable - he loves a fuss and will take anyone for a walk - a hit with my kids.

Please dont judge based on some of the negative reviews - try it out for yourself

We will be back as soon as the piggy bank allows!

Room Tip: Quite simply you get what you pay for. The luxury rooms are just that. We have stayed in deluxe doub...
1 Thank citygirl2810
Neil C, General Manager at Moonfleet Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear citygirl2810,
Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review of your recent experience at Moonfleet. We are absolutely delighted that you had such a good time and the team will be chuffed that their efforts are appreciated. I is great to know that we get a lot of key things right for families, but we will not get complacent and I promise that we will keep on getting better, so keep an eye on our facebook page for updates on our refurbishment!
Hope to see you again soon!
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I have real mixed emotions about this place. This is my fourth visit and I feel things have progressively gotten worse. That being said, I will return in the hope of seeing improvement.
I don't know what it is exactly but this place seems to draw me in. It's location is great and the hotel has so much potential that it's a crying shame it isn't maximised.
You are left to your own devices by the staff which is unfortunate. For a hotel purporting to be "luxurious" they should be a bit more attentive. That being said, for the first time in all our visits, two staff members actually took the time to speak to us (and they were English!) and very friendly.
Many people think the hotel is scruffy but personally the decor and furniture is responsible for that. It's a quirky mix of what appears to be re-upholstered antique or repro pieces. Quite eccentric with a colonial feel in some rooms. And I happen to like it personally.
We stayed in a different room this time which was quite grand - bedroom was fine but I think the bathroom needs an overhaul. Generally the cleanliness was ok save for the fact that whilst laying in bed I happened to look up and noticed a couple of small (what appeared to be) blood spatters on the inside of the bedside lampshade?
The common parts of the hotel are needy of renovation and it is evident in several aspects where cost cutting has come into play.
Personally I believe they are understaffed. There is a nice terrace outside where you can sit and enjoy drinks and more often than not you need to go find somebody to serve you. Surely this is a loss of revenue? Imagine how much they could make if they were more pro-active - that would cover the cost of another person.
The room charge is way too steep for the quality - this hotel should no longer be classed as luxury. The owners have let things slide here. Whilst they have added a spa (which I'm guessing was an addition of the last owners before they went into administration), there are many more factors such as dilapidations and remedial works requiring urgent attention.
The hotel has an indoor pool which is absolutely filthy. There is also a sauna which again looks pretty unhygienic. It was so bad that I didn't dare venture in. Unfortunately my children had already gone swimming but I didn't let them use the pool again. It was so bad that my son commented that he couldn't see underwater as it was so cloudy. Again no staff were present anywhere which I guess is another cost cutting exercise.
One helpful thing is the fact that the hotel pushes a Newsletter under your door every morning giving info on the hotel, vacinity, things to do etc. We were also given a welcome letter and on the reverse was a map of the hotel. This was the first time we had received anything like this in all our visits. Imagine our surprise when we discovered there was a den for the kids to play in! There are no signs anywhere and this had never been brought to our attention in the past. The door to the den was locked so we went exploring round the other side. We could not believe it. What we saw was a huge corrugated building and beside it two tennis courts which looked recently renovated! We also found a squash court inside, a child's eating area, a bar (ok so it was totally empty and unstaffed), three computer gaming chairs and a locked snooker room. The place was really eerie and spooky. Inside the vast empty hall was a fenced off area for toddlers, a pool table, three table tennis tables, trampolines, a tennis court, basketball set up and two goals. Ball, bats, racquets etc were strewn all over the floor amid children's trikes and scooters. The sight had to be seen to be believed. It was almost as if we had travelled into a village where the inhabitants had been eradicated by some deadly virus and this was the only trace left of their seemingly recent existence!
When we returned to the hotel, we asked how long the hall had been there and we're told "always"!
One notable advantage has to be head chef and his brigade (evening) - will come on to breakfast farce in a minute.
The food he creates is fabulous and well priced. What an asset to the hotel - have to say I'm surprised he bothers to stay as the restaurant itself is naff in the highest 80s era degree. Definitely in need of urgent modernisation. What I do find laughable however is that whilst they encourage you to eat "en famille" or, in laymans, "as a family", it's ok to do so as long as its in your room. They have a policy precluding children from being in the restaurant after 7:30. Given that the a la carte only starts at 7:00, that gives you a measly 30 minutes to wolf down a delectable three course meal. For the privilege of eating in your room you have to pay a £10 tray service!
Why on earth put yourselves out as a "luxury family hotel" if children cannot eat with you? I wondered why they might have implemented this policy as every table at breakfast has children sat it. I didn't notice any couples only at the hotel either. Surely when you holiday with your family you do everything together? I know I do. If you want to go for a romantic meal, book yourself a dirty weekend without the kids.
I soon came to the conclusion that the owners don't want children eating in the restaurant as they market it to the public also. What a swizz - surely you should put your hotel paying customers first here rather than Joe Public?
Lastly breakfast - improvement required here. Not luxurious and incompetent cooking. The selection is greasy and disgusting. I therefore ordered from the menu which you pay separately for. I pointed out that as I am pregnant I would like egg and soldiers but the eggs need to be cooked properly. Not too hard to cook eggs I thought. What I was given were two eggs which were snotty and must have been dunked into boiling water for a max of two minutes. I didn't bother to ask them to cook them again.
Need to lastly mention Snoopy the hotel's spaniel. How delightful he is. The children wanted to take him home.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear joanne d,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post a review of your most recent stay with us at Moonfleet. We are delighted that you keep coming back - its the magic you know(!), because Moonfleet is like no other Hotel.
Between 2006 and 2012, Moonfleet was owned by von Essen Hotels. During that time, the Hotel had not one pennies investment and many of the reviews you see reflect this. Imagine a luxuriously plump pillow in 2006, now bereft of its stuffing! The task to re-plump the pillow is certainly under way with bedrooms and bathrooms being refurbished throughout the year. A brand new Treatment Zone has been added this year, with great reviews recieved (yours included!), along with a Cinema Room, a family "snug" and lots of new kids toys and equipment being added to our indoor play area. We recognise that we still have a significant journey to undertake, but we will get there, it just can't be done overnight though!
Our plans also include building a brand new, state of the art pool and spa, so keep your eyes out for updates on our facebook page. Until that time, the changing rooms and showers will get a really nice update.
We are delighted that you enjoyed our food, the team work hard to deliver a treat on a plate and we know how important to your stay it is. Our food service team are a little inexperienced at the moment, so I do apologise if you experienced any inconsistencies, but please do be aware that we are continually training and our aim is to be better every week.
With regard to family dining - we actively encourage it and provide a suggested meal time of between 6pm and 7.30. This does not mean that all children have to be out of the Restraurant by 7.30. Each family is different, so there are families that like to dine together and other parents who would like a bit of grown up time at dinner. Our aim is to provide both treats, but it is not always easy to separate the two dining experiences. It is something we are working on.
We very much look forward to your fifth visit soon and thank you once again for the feedback.
London putney
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Amazing location, great for kids. Loads to do nearby for kids. Food was excellent. Staff lovely and helpful. Rooms nothing special but the place itself is just so relaxing like nowhere else I've stayed in Uk.

Room Tip: Go for extra large rooms with kids
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Nick G
Neil C, General Manager at Moonfleet Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Nick G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. The team and I are delighted that you had such a good time at Moonfleet. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

kind regards
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We decided last minute to take part in the Olympics and decided on Weymouth for the sailing. Many places were booked and we didn't want self-catering or B&B and settled on Moonfleet Manor. I've been in the industry a long time and new about Luxury Family Hotels but had never tried them; having two boy aged 12 and 4 I thought it was worth a shot and booked BEFORE reading the reviews here.

And boy are we glad we ignored what had been written earlier otherwise we would never have experienced this magical family holiday with great facilities, some of the best food we've eaten and breathtaking views over The Fleet.

It isn't a 'Farrow & Ball' type trendy hotel - and thank goodness for that! It is unique with it's colonial style, giant beds, Edwardian photos on the walls and even animal pieces! Our eldest was kept entertained with the pool and the games room and our youngest in The Den - we couldn't keep him out of there! The pool was warm and clean and friendly to use - the changing facilities immaculate. The games room is in a very quirky part of the grounds and we were rewarded with the fabulous views and bowling alley - once we found it!

The food was excellent - the pork fillet was superb as was the Bailey's cheesecake. The service was very attentive and plenty of choice on the wine list.

No it isn't cheap but providing the extent of facilities they do in such a location isn't. It is like staying in someone's house rather than a hotel and I appreciate it may not be everyone's choice but any hotel that can keep two boys aged 12 and 4 happy, give us time to be a couple and leave us ALL wanting to come back again soon deserves a decent review!!

Room Tip: As for a room in the main house.
Hi Nick G,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. My team and I are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us - this really is what makes it all worthwile for us.
We hope to see you all again soon!
Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weymouth
6.3 km away
6.6 km away
Alexandra Hotel
Alexandra Hotel
#15 of 22 in Weymouth

Been to Moonfleet Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK