“We couldn't have wished for a better day”
Review of Jurassic Safari

Jurassic Safari
Ranked #16 of 74 things to do in Weymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Sit back, relax and enjoy Dorset's spectacular scenery and wildlife on a Land Rover safari, venturing into areas only accessible with a 4x4 vehicle. Your guide will share some fascinating local history and a few quirky Dorset tales along the way. Refreshments, including homemade baked goods, are offered on every safari. Our aim is to leave you with unforgettable memories of the countryside and coast line which makes Dorset so special.
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We booked the Purbeck Safari and took two friends. Before the trip, I made my original enquiry via email. Carol was extremely quick to respond and friendly. She helped me to make a decision on which safari would suit us best. The day before the Safari, Carol got in touch to confirm the arrangements.

The safari itself was lovely. We were very lucky with the weather, it was cold but dry and clear so we saw some amazing views. We also learnt loads of interesting things. Gary was a wealth of knowledge on local history, wildlife and farming. He also regaled us with stories of family connections and events in the area, which gave an added dimension and meaning to the trip. My husband and I have lived in Dorset for two years and really enjoyed learning more about the county we now live in. Our visitors were not from Dorset, but said they enjoyed the trip just as much.

We ordered the picnic lunch, which was home made and plentiful. The men in the party spoke particularly highly of Carol's mince pies!

We couldn’t have wished for a better day. I certainly hope to do the Hardy safari one day.

2  Thank Bomanda

Reviewed 8 October 2011

I booked this safari for me and hubby when we were in Dorset in August 2011. Unfortunately I had to cancel as the weather was appalling on the morning on the safari - and no, I'm not a 'fair weather tourist' - this was the day Bournemouth flooded !! Anyway, I called Gary up and he was ok about this - he really was. He suggested that we re-schedule the safari for the Saturday as he was fully booked until then - even though he doesn't work on Saturdays !!! Hubby and I had Gary all to ourselves and it was amazing, magical and something we will never forget. I loved the Purbeck hills before - I love them even more now that I know all the 'secret' places to go....thanks so much to you both for being so patient and accommodating. Loved it, loved it, loved it !!!!

1  Thank zany_janey
Reviewed 17 September 2011

A well worth trip through the heartland of Dorset. Gary shared his his knowledge of the history and wild life of the area and kept up our interest throughout the morning even though the weather was not kind to us. . A mid morning tea break with Carol's delicious fruit cake is something else to look forard to.
John and Tess Danbury

3  Thank JOHN V
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We were staying in Weymouth for a week on holiday and, having read reviews about the Jurassic Safari tours, I booked the all day South Dorset Safari for my wife, son and myself several weeks ago. Communications were always polite and friendly and emails promply responded to. A few days before the tour Carol emailed to confirm pick up arrangements and then Gary duly picked us up at the appointed time and we headed off on our safari!!

The unique feature of these tours which set them apart from any other day tours is that they are bespoke tours using a landrover. This enables Gary and Carol to take you totally off the beaten track to places that you would never ever see on a coach or a car.

The simply stunning coastline view from Heaven's Gate for example, over the Jurassic coastline will live long in our memories. It is not on any road and you could only reach this beauty spot in a landrover or on foot/bicycle. It is a beautiful place where we ate a delicious picnic provided by Carol which also included homemade fruitcake and flapjacks...mmmmmm!

The views over Corfe Castle and Studland Bay towards the Isle of Wight were equally memorable too. We stopped at Studland for homemade flapjack and refreshments.

As for the safari aspect of the tour, Gary drove us over heaths and hills, slowing down to point out the type of wildlife which lived there. His knowledge was immense...we saw deer, buzzards and, at the request of my son (not me), we took a little walk across a heath nr Corfe Castle in search of snakes and sand lizards taking in the sun on some rocks.....much to my relief we did not come across any as it was a bit too cool for them.

Gary's historic knowledge was also immense, going into detail about Corfe Castle and numerous churches that we passd by.

If you want to see Dorset then this is an absolutely wonderful way to do it. From the moment you are picked up you are made to feel like part of their family and they even provide you with homemade cakes and tea/coffee etc! Their knowledge of the area is of the highest standard and you will simply not want the tour to end.

I have no hesitation in giving the Jurassic Safari and Gary/Carol 5 stars for providing us with a most memorable day out and we will definitely book another tour next time we visit Weymouth for a holiday.

4  Thank Boro_Steve
Reviewed 24 August 2011

we booked up the purbeck hills safari and can say that this was the best thing we could have done as it opened up a whole new side to dorset that we would never have seen.We were lucky enough to have the services of gary and his extensive knowledge all to ourselves.Gary has great enthusiasm for the dorset countryside and his well informed commentary really brought the area to life,among the many highlights was having a cuppa and a slice of homemade cake at the breathtaking heavens gate,a place my wife and i would never have found on our own.........we will be sure to do another one next year!!!!!!

2  Thank Jason C