Review Highlights
Tour and stay at cottage in grounds

Reviewed 13 August 2018
Caitlin H
Liverpool, United Kingdom
via mobile
An amazing experience

Reviewed 5 October 2018
jlynda860
Nottingham, United Kingdom

All reviews guided tour the owner afternoon tea four poster bed one night games room first impression grand hall full english walk round the grounds the cottages relaxing stay extensive knowledge course meal main hall sandwiches and cakes interesting history
Reviewed 1 week ago

Beware that not even the grounds are open after October. There's not much else to see in Appleby although the river bridge is quite pretty.

Reviewed 5 October 2018

When our daughter booked my husband and me into Appleby Castle has a treat to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary we didn’t know what to expect but we needn’t have worried, from walking through the door we were made very welcome. The Castle is full of history and the bedrooms are individual furnished, it was lovely to have a walk-in shower. The food was excellent thanks to the Chef Chris who is very passionate about the food he cooks, the food tasted as good as it looked.
We both enjoy the guided tour of the Castle the guide brought the history of the Castle to life.
We were very lucky to be introduced to the owner Mrs Nightingale whom we found a very warm and friendly Lady.
Our Stay was made very Special Thanks to Chris, James, Jack and Peter, thank you for 3 wonderful days.
If your looking for a special treat we would highly recommend a night in this beautiful historic Castle.

Joe & Lynda

4  Thank jlynda860
Reviewed 20 September 2018

My friend and I recently visited the castle for a short break. It is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited and is certainly on my list to visit again. The bedrooms were all individual and very well maintained. The bathrooms are across the corridor which to some people would be inconvenient, to us were an adventure. We met the owner of the castle who is very unassuming and was a really fun person to be around. We walked around the parkland which is very well maintained and has the added attraction of red squirrels. Our dinner was exceptional, the quality of the food excellent and the ambience in the dining room was simply breathtaking. If anyone is looking for a different type of holiday, no TV in the bedroom, but an abundance of history then this is the place for you to go.

3  Thank AnnN1050
Reviewed 14 September 2018

We stayed in a local Hotel spa in Appleby, and decided to dine at the Castle on the Sunday night.
We planned our weekend to a tee so we had plenty to do and see, especially with Appleby not being very big.

So you can imagine our disappointment when we received an e-mail on the day we arrived telling me our reservation was cancelled and they would not be serving any food at all on Sunday due to the chef having personal issues....
I don't know much about running a hotel kitchen, but I would assume they would have a back up plan if the chef wasn't in...?

We visited the castle just to walk around on the Sunday to discover it was closed..

All in all disappointed with Appleby Castle and the fact we didn't even get to set foot passed the gates!

3  Thank Carrie T
Reviewed 11 September 2018

We visited Appleby on a recent train excursion and were looking forward to walking in the castle grounds, as the website suggested. (We didn't have time to book a tour or tea.) It looked very interesting from the main gate but, even at lunchtime on a Heritage Open Day, there was a sign up saying 'Grounds closed'. This seems a little short-sighted, as there doesn't seem much point in preserving a wonderful historic estate and not letting people in to see it/help pay to maintain it.

2  Thank L5162TIhelen
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

On a day trip arriving just before 1pm and catching the train back shortly after 5pm. Had a spot of lunch and noted on the website that the grounds are open daily from 11:45am (no mention easily evident regarding closing times).

Trekked up the hill arriving at 3:15 pm to discover that the grounds are closed. Disappointed doesn't go far enough, particularly when the sign inside the gates says grounds close at 4:30pm.

If this is a regular thing the website needs to state this clearly to avoid others suffering the same fate.

2  Thank motorman1959
Reviewed 17 August 2018

It's lovely to see Appleby Castle accessible again- it really is a beautiful place. The restoration and renovations are interesting and it'll be great to see how they progress. The walk along the river is very pretty.
My advice is to pay to see the grounds only- in fact, we were left with the impression that the business doesn't particularly want visitors to the house and grounds, however fabulous the place may be for weddings and hotel stays.
We arrived with three quarters of an hour to spare before our tour to get a coffee and use the loos. But where was the tea room which purported to open at midday? After wandering about and finding no-one to help us we eventually rang at hotel reception...which eventually found someone to come and make us a coffee...which took some time as nothing was turned on or ready. Coffee finally ready with 5 minutes to spare before the tour. I hasten to add that the staff member looking after the tea room was lovely and very apologetic. He also showed us where the loos were- again you had to ask at the hotel reception to get access to these!
The tour was interesting from a history point of view although I'm not sure how much replica helmets and weapons have to do with Appleby!!
The big disappointment was that the tour allowed access to one room only of the castle and at £33 for three of us, that's daylight robbery!! Check out the costs for similar places like Raby Castle or Hutton-in the Forest, Dalemain where you see lots of the house and the fabulous grounds and gardens, too. And they all have great tea rooms...and loos you can find...

1  Thank Bob190736
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

Great place to visit. Full of history and quite beautiful. Tour was a bit date focussed for the boys - needed to be more theatrical and bring history to life.
Essentially we were very happy - the only thing that got our attention was overpriced drinks during the tour £12 for two soft drinks and a beer and the accommodation while lovely - needs more to justify the costs
The grounds are wonderful and you can walk easily into the town and down to the river.

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

I did a tour of the castle one afternoon, if I’m honest it was all a bit brief and ultimately disappointing. The castle itself is magnificent in a spectacular setting above the town dominated by the Norman keep. The tour lasts fifty five minutes and points out the main features of the castle and gives a potted history concentrating mainly on Lady Ann Clifford. The only room we got to see was the new great hall and the keep was pretty much off limits. In hindsight it would be better to walk round the grounds on your own and read the notice boards. I understand from the guide the keep us being restored and maybe open at some future date.

2  Thank 149stuartc
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

Visited the lovely town of Appleby and decided to visit the castle. Upon passing through the gates into the castle grounds a lady appeared from her shed and we paid £13.50, £5.00 for adults £3.50 for a child.
We then proceeded up to the castle, which really does look impressive, only to find that there is no public access to anywhere other than the tearoom. So we basically paid £13.50 to walk up the path to the castle!
When leaving I expressed our disappointment to the woman who took our money, but to no avail. Perhaps I should have asked for a guided tour of her shed.

2  Thank JimG2871