This is a small and extremely friendly hotel in a quiet and peaceful location. The rooms do not have numbers but names, and much of the furniture is hand made from local materials, giving the whole place a very homely feeling of a kind that is rare nowadays.
Located on a road where the wild New Forest ponies come along, the entrances to the car park are fitted with cattle grids, and it is not uncommon to see the ponies there.
On arrival we were met with a very warm welcome and the offer of a cup of tea and cake in the snug, and we very soon learned that it is the kind of place where one can get into a comfortable conversation with both staff and other residents, while reading material is also available to enjoy. There is no bar as such, rather drinks are available for self-service in the snug: you just fill out a slip of paper, put it into an honesty box and settle up when you check out - how much more friendly could you get?
My room, Verderers Rest, was very comfortable, and I enjoyed the luxury of a large bathtub, something that an ever-decreasing number of hotels offer nowadays. Just one thing: I was woken in the early hours by a funny noise. I later discovered that the window was open, and closing it would have resolved the problem!
Do not expect any kind of formal hotel and there is no reception desk, just a friendly chat in the snug.
This was a working visit, but should I be making a private visit to the New Forest, the Cottage Lodge will be my first choice of hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cottage Lodge has upgraded from a 5star B&B to a 2 star hotel over the last 12 months. So, if you decide to come to the Cottage Lodge in Brockenhurst you are choosing a clean and comfortable property, located in the heart of the New Forest National Park village of Brockenhurst. All the en-suite rooms are individually designed. They all come with flat screen tv's, new mattresses, recently painted walls, tea and coffee making facilities (with real milk), and an in-room safe. Cake is available free of charge in the Snug Bar. We have: romantic rooms with hand made four poster beds: a room with a wood burning stove; ground floor rooms with showers;dog friendly rooms; family friendly rooms; rooms in the original building(C1650);simple rooms perfect for single occupancy or for a couple looking for somewhere simple to stay. There is one parking space at the front of Cottage Lodge for each room. We have won lots of awards for various things: excellence, environmentally friendly, best use of local produce, outstanding breakfast etc. Cottage Lodge is located in the heart of the New Forest National Park village of Brockenhurst. Our very own Fallen Tree Restaurant is open six days a week (closed on Wednesdays). Book early because the restaurant is very popular. Our breakfast's are locally sourced. We assure you of a warm welcome. There are three lovely pubs, nine charming restaurants and tea shops, cycle hire, horse riding, open forest, mainline railway station, village shops, open forest all within ten minutes walk of Cottage Lodge. Twenty minutes drive to the coast, Beaulieu Motor Museum, Exbury Gardens and the Lymington Ferry to the Isle of Wight. We hope to have the pleasure of meeting you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Cottage Lodge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cottage Hotel Brockenhurst
- Cottage Lodge Hotel Brockenhurst, New Forest