“Wonderful place to stay”

Cottage Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just returned from a weekend stay at Cottage Lodge. We were in one of the smaller rooms, but it was cosy and comfortable. We enjoyed relaxing in our room and borrowing a few of the handy DVDs in the restaurant to watch in our room. I loved the importance placed on sustainability and using local products and produce - one of my reasons for choosing to stay there -- there were local wines and liquors in the cosy snug and always freshly made cake for nibbling on. The breakfasts were great with a choice of local hot english breakfasts and omellettes or a variety of cereals and fruits. I loved the breakfast room decor with the information about the new forest on the walls.

The location was great - we were cycling and it was very easy to get around Brockenhurst and to other areas of the new forest. The maps and cycle routes in the snug were really helpful.

Best of all - the service was fabulous. Everyone was very friendly and helpful - from the moment we arrived in the pouring rain to returning home to find I'd left behind something important! When I called up to ask if they had found it, they were incredibly helpful and even offerred to post it back to me free of charge. What a wonderful friendly place -- I hope we someday have a chance to come back and stay again. Thank you!

3  Thank Tammy C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Cottage Lodge Hotel

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Great room, probably best in the hotel. V helpful staff, great breakfast, right in the heart of Brockenhurst. Avoid the Forresters for food, try the Pig for dinner and the curry house is excellent, as is the Snakecatchers pub.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
NewForestFilly, Owner at Cottage Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

thank you so very much for your lovely review. The room you stayed in is beautiful but we have lots of beautiful rooms at the Cottage Lodge 5 star B&B. We hope you will come back again and try another room. The Rhinefield and the Mills have just been refurbished and are looking particularly wonderful at the moment. Take care Christina

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We recently stayed at this gorgeous B&B. It was our first time to Brockenhurst and to the New Forest.
The location is perfect with close access to the high street, great little restaurants and pubs it is in easy walking distance for horse riding and other activities and it is in great promixity to the train station.
The B&B itself well maintained and has lovely decor. We stayed in the Forresters Room which was well presented and very comfortable. The staff at Cottage Lodge are truly lovely. They make you feel very welcome and can offer some great ideas to do while you are staying there.

Breakfast had a great selection of choices from the traditional full english to omlettes to pastries to your cereals and fresh fruit all sourced from local suppliers.

They have a great little welcome pack if you are not familiar with the area which includes maps for walks / bike rides , restaurant guides, activities to do and general information for Brokenhurst and surrounding areas.

We will definitely return and we would highly reccommend this place for a visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

We very much appreciated your kindness in sharing your stay with other Trip Advisor readers. I know you particularly liked the donkeys and the ponies wandering freely in the village. I must just share with you that there are three cheeky donkeys sitting on the little green opposite. They are exhausted because they have spent the morning trying to get into the neighbours garden. My lovely neighbouy hasn't mowed his lawn yet and it is just looking too tempting for words.!! I very much hope we have the pleasure of your company for another visit. Take care Christina

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I travel on business to Brockenhurst in April and I stay overnight at the Cottage Lodge . My room was excellent and so was the friendly service I received . It was only one night stay, the place was full , I could easily stay another night or two .

The location is just perfect and easy to find from the station .Very good breakfast served at a very early hours of the morning .It was excellent, better than in most hotels . Generous display of fresh fruit beatifully displaid in the bufet and very well cooked hot breakfast served at my table .

I was extremely surprise . Very good standards I thought .

Alfredo Abad

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your lovely review. We do feel as if we are getting to a point where we are more than a B&B and we might just be a hotel. We have done so much refurbishment and work so hard at making everything lovely for our customers we do feel as if we are almost there. I have asked the AA inspector to come and have a look at the property to see what he thinks. I will let you know as soon as we have heard from him. Take care and than you for your kindess.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

This B&B was perfectly fine and the service was good. But I have to disagree with most of the reviews. It was incredibly expensive (£135) for one night's stay - for that I would expect stunning decor (not communal spaces that reminded me of a youth hostel), a room that overlooked a beautiful garden or field (not a main road), a soft, comfortable mattress and pillows, gourmet bath products (not Radox), and biscuits in the room.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
NewForestFilly, Owner at Cottage Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

I am delighted you thought we were fine and that the service was good. I have thought long and hard about what you have said about the price and I need to help customers reading this review to understand a little more about your stay.

This gentleman stayed at Easter for one night in a large, newly-built room made from local douglas fir. He had a king size, hand-carved, four poster bed with solid New Forest wood block side tables. He had a delightful romeo and juliette balcony which meant he could throw open the double balcony doors and let the fresh air in. There was also a 32inch LED tv and a freshly cooked, locally sourced breakfast. He was located in the centre of the New Forest village of Brockenhurst just a few minutes walk from lovely pubs and beautiful restaurants. He was just a few minutes walk from the New Forest National Park with 192 miles of off road tracks perfect for walking and cycling through 94,000 acres of open forest. He had WiFi, unlimited supply of cakes, fresh milk, a range of toilettries, parking, a new mattress, new pillows and the price included VAT.

The furniture in the communal spaces are made from a beautiful rare 500 year old black poplar tree that was taken down in a nearby school because its roots were rotting. The local tree surgeon turned it into tables for us. If you glanced quickly at the room it might look a little like a youth hostle but I think that once you sat at the tables you could see the beauty of the wood. We think we are bringing the beauty of the forest into the property.

There are a range of different priced rooms at the Cottage Lodge. In the winter prices start from as low as £60.00 but in the peak seasons prices do go up to £135 for two people including breakfast and VAT. This gentleman had a choice to opt for a cheaper room.

There are rooms similar to the ones that this gentleman described available in the forest but I am sorry to disappoint him - they will be at least £200 per night. VAT makes a big difference to the price, but so does the location. The New Forest National Park is a very exclusive destination. It is just 90 minutes from London by train. It has a beautiful coastline, acres of rolling forest and some amazing attractions such as Beaulieu Motor museum and Exbury Gardens.

If you are considering coming to stay at the Cottage Lodge I would just like to reassure you that we are not profiteering. We are a lovely friendly family business operating in a difficult economic climate. We charge VAT at 20%. We wish we didn't have to, but we do. We take fire, health and safety regulations very seriously. The property is located in one of the top ten most expensive places to live in the country. All these things have a knock on effect on the price we have to charge in order to keep in business.

What concerns me most about this review is that this gentleman didn't know what he was buying. For example he bought a village based location, when he really wanted a forest based one.

So, as a result of this gentleman's review I am going to see if I can increase the transparency of Cottage Lodge. To help you make a more informed choice. We do a page by page description of every room with a range of pictures but I would like to go a little further and do a video diary for each room. It will take a couple of months but I think it will be worth it so that lovely guests, like this gentleman, are not disappointed in the future.

I am sorry we didn't meet this gentlemans expectations, and I will be doing my best in the future to make sure we describe our offering better so we don't come across this difficulty again. But I would like to reassure any prospective customers that £135 for the room he stayed in during the Easter Weekend is a very reasonable price.

If you have any questions about this review please feel free to ring me on 01590 622296 and I will be delighted to chat it through with you. All the best Christina

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
6.0 km away
4.5 km away
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Cottage Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK