Like other reviewers I was expecting amazing things after reading the very favourable press The Pig has been getting recently. All of the elements of an excellent restaurant are there: the location just outside Brockenhurst is perfect; the hotel/restaurant is really nicely decorated; the welcome was warm and the service good even though the restaurant was packed. We did have a very nice meal overall but it just didn't quite live up to the rave reviews. The selection of wines was impressive, lots by the glass, and whilst the food was good overall, there was just something lacking which it needs to take it from pleasant to the excellent I had been expecting. The piggy bits to start were nice enough, the cottage pie was well cooked but nothing out of the ordinary, the icecream desserts again were good but not amazing. The stand out was the Dorset crab and chips, the crab was massive, a meal in itself with the choice of having it hot or cold, and it was really tasty with loads of meat although the chips were a little soggy. At the end of the meal, we were left to fend for ourselves and had to wander around trying to find our coats. I would definitely return and with a few minor tweaks the Pig really could be excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pig is a bang up to date take on a new style of home grown, 26 bedroom country house hotel and what that needs to be today - original, relaxed and sitting comfortably within its environment. It's really a restaurant with rooms. This is a place that is all about the walled garden and everything is driven by the gardener/forager and chef - they grow and find the food - the chef then makes the menu. The style is home grown in every way - breaking the mold of designed hotels, daring to be comfortable in its own skin, working with what it has and recognising what is good about that. It won't be perfect, it will be warm, relaxed, comfy, interesting, and homely with muted colours, a bit shabby chic and evolved rather than interior designed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your The Pig reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pig Hotel Brockenhurst
- Hotel Whitley Ridge
- Whitley Ridge Brockenhurst
- The Pig Brockenhurst, New Forest