All reviews golf course golf club golf weekend coach party round of golf bowling green bowls club great golf golf society forest of dean coach trip three courses christmas lunch self service the cottages family room an overnight stay
Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Probably the best condition I’ve seen this course in for a long time, bunkers still need work. Grass cut to a better lengths just off the fairways, greens in good condition just slightly hard could do with watering but made it more challenging

Stayed: June 2018
Tom E, Public Relations Manager at Bells Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your comments. We have begun work on the bunkers with new sand distributed around each bunker on the course.

With the flush of grass season the green keepers have now managed to cut through and set a clearly defined first cut.. Just in time for your next visit?

Reviewed 5 June 2018

Well we went for a golf weekend,it rained and there is nothing !!!! to do hear wait around for the evening meal witch was very poor veg not cooked meat was dry think it all came out of a bag in to a micowave .From there we went to the bar the beer in bottles was warm and most on the pump was grim so we all went in to Coleford very grim looked like it had come out of a zombie movie! very strange place we went in to a pub called the feathers the beer hear was worse then the Bells on to the next just around the corner sorry forgot the name beer was ok but very run down so had a 2 drinks and went back to hotel. In the morning it was bright and we played golf witch was fine,when we come in we where ask to pick a meal for that night witch i did not any of it so i ask to opt out the face on reception was a picture not pleased at all! that evening you could watch football in the bar go in to Coleford with the zombies or back to your room to watch tv not great......for a country club? we left in the morning as it rained again a when i went to get the bill the reception did not know about the meal the night before and the refund had not been taken off she seem to get the right hump ? but sorted it when she spoke to some else in charge. also i filled in a form i found in my room a handed it in with my observations on the hotel ,she seem to think this and my conversation with her was ok to discuss with any one in my party and god knows who else ? NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN ALL IT WAS A VERY POOR WEEKEND I WOULD NOT RETURN ,THERE MUTCH BETTER PLACES THEN THIS TO PLAY GOLF ........

Stayed: May 2018
Reviewed 22 May 2018

The hotel is set in a beautiful location with stunning views. Receptionist was very helpful, a young lad with impecable manners. The club house was small but adequate quick bite menu perfect for what we needed. The views from the clubhouse veranda were amazing. We stayed in room 13 the long DARK corridors had activated lighting and were pitch black, emergency lighting should be added, I could not even see my hand in front of my face, it did not feel welcoming at all. The room was a family room, spacious but dated clean, towels and linen spotless. The cups on the dresser were very badly stained, quick swill with bleach would resolve this. We stopped over for a wedding in Clearwell Castle so cannot complain much, would hev been nice to have had a bit more luxury for £70 room only.

Room Tip: Room next to reception disturbed by doors closing
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HappyTravelling1977
Reviewed 5 May 2018

We were staying at a local property managed by the hotel. Stupidly, we arrived a day earlier than our booking so turned to the hotel for help. The lady on the desk (Maxine W) was absolutely fantastic and unbelievably helpful. She sorted us a couple of rooms for the night, organised a hefty discount, stored our food shopping and generally made a right cock up bearable. The hotel itself was basic but fine, a clean comfortable room and a decent breakfast. Nothing to write home about but we’d recommend it and stay again because it was fine, reasonably priced, well located and had brilliant customer service. Someone give that woman a pay rise!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2018

In total 25 of us went to the Bells Hotel for 5 days, 4 nights, and arrived by coach. The group was made up of retired couples from a Probus club. We all loved the Forest of Dean and the attractions in the area we visited every day, returning to the hotel in the mid afternoon. The comments below are on the experiences my wife and I had at the Bells hotel.
On arrival our cases were immediately taken to our room - no problems there. Our room, 11, was quite large with 2 double beds, good bathroom, TV, coffee and tea etc. My first reaction looking out of the widow was a bit disappointing as we looked directly on to the car park and the start of the golf course. We soon got used to this and did not feel we had any invasion on privacy,
The staff at the hotel were courteous and helpful and provided good service. As a large group we had to make a dinner selection from a menu limited to 3 or 4 selections per course. This was not a problem as the food supplied was of a good standard and everyone enjoyed each dinner we had. What did come as a real, and welcome, surprise was the entertainment provided by the hotel after each dinner - bingo, a quiz, a very good magician and on the last night an artist ( a good entertainer) singing songs from the 60's - he got many of us going and dancing on the floor! We were well looked after at breakfast and again the food was of a good quality
One thing we did not like was having the restaurant in a separate building - particularly as it was quite cold,and sometimes raining, on the short walk between the buildings.
I took a walk around the golf course (I do not play the game) and liked the scenic views and the large pond. I do play bowls (crown green) but did not have the time to try the hotel 'flat' green.
In conclusion, we had excellent value for money for the group holiday - the hotel surprised me with the good room, food and entertainment given just to our group. As always there were some issues raised by a few of the group members ( but not by my wife and I) and hence the rating given is our personal view.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends