“Great food at Leftbank”

The Runnymede on Thames
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Egham
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We had lunch here and got lost on the way so rang to say we would be late but the hotel couldn't have been more accommodating, the staff are helpful and friendly. The restaurant was full on a Friday lunchtime but there was plenty of choice as it is a 'eat all you want' buffet. There was lovely soup to start with, a large cold salad buffet with cheeses and breads, hot food counter with over 5 choices of different foods, rotisserie garlic and lemon chicken, turkey, beef stew, fish medley,pizza plus vegetables and then a lovely selection of hot and cold desserts. All together a lovely restaurant with views over Thames.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank popeadventure
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent lunch in Leftbank. I am delighted that our team took care of you so well and that you were spoilt for choice. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

This was a pre-birthday lunch for for daughter who was staying with us with her son. There were 8 of us, and because the 4 four younger people can eat for England, we thought they would like the buffet rather than the new Lock and Kitchen.
As usual the food was excellent, and our waitress Lucia was also excellent, nothing was too much trouble, and she joined in with our high spirits. Everything was very good, and we were all very happy.
We had a couple of bottles of champagne in the bar first, and it was a bit chilly there, so we kept our coats on, but it was a very cold weekend.
Only half of the restaurant was being used. Not surprising as it was February, but all the guests were crammed into the 'river' side of the restaurant.
What I couldn't understand was the performance I had just to reserve the table.
I tried to book online, but as I could only book for 6 I did so, but typed in that I really wanted to book for 8 people.
Five minutes later, there was a phone call saying we could not book for 12.30 as requested, but for 1.15pm and I had to pay a £10 deposit per person as it was for 8 people.
So my husband said he would get back to them with an answer. Then I had a confirmation online from the Hotel, saying my reservation for 12.30 was accepted.
So I then emailed back saying about the phone call, and the hotel got back to me.....etc etc....this went on for some time, and I was beginning to lose the will to live, but perservered as my grandson likes the buffet at the Runnymede Hotel. So, I paid the deposit and we went on 4th.
The email did say they would provide a 'birthday plate' (whatever that is) for my daughter, but it didnt happen. Never mind, we enjoyed our pre-birthday lunch despite the aggro beforehand.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank barbara10
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at this spa hotel for a Valentine's treat and we were not disappointed. It was easy to get to. ALL staff were friendly, helpful, polite and attentive. The buffet breakfast is something to be experienced, there was so much choice and the staff in the kitchen are happy to cook your eggs just how you want them. We had a room with a view which looked out over the Thames. The room was clean and well stocked with toiletries etc. We also ate out in the town which is a 6 min drive away (or a 10 - 15 mins walk) and at Hugo's (meditarranean). The spa is complemenatary to guests (which my husband made full use of) and I had a couple of treatments too. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 242, which was quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawnybec
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I am writing this sat in my room before check out.

I was looking forward to staying at the Runnymead however it has been a real let down.

My room 253 is small overlooking a dirty roof top and aircon outlets.Nothing they can do but it should be cleaned.The carpets in the room are just filthy ,sticky and black in places,stains and it ha s not been hoovered ..

The internet both wireless and plug in did not work despite a really nice guy coming up to try and get me logged on .He said it was beacause of the location of the room. Reception said they could get someone in the "morning" to re look at it but as it was 6 pm they had no one last night. I ended up using my dongle and am not happy as I could not get the work I had planned to do competed . .

The food in the buffet restaurant was very good however room serivce breakfast was not .I did not get what I asked for,the tea was cold and instead of jam they put ketchup on my tray!

This is so sad as the setting is wonderful and it makes a nice change to be somewhere away from the hotels at Heathrow when you have a business meeting however with no internet (free or otherwise) these days is just not acceptable for business people,the poor room does not warrant the star rating this place has .Such a shame

Room Tip: Ask to see it first!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Droopydrawrs52
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We take all feedback very seriously and I believe our Marketing Manager has been corresponding with you regarding your disappointing stay since initially speaking to you on departure from the hotel.
To try and prevent the re-occurrence of these events we have revisited the training given to our team on the wireless connections to the internet as we do have coverage throughout the hotel with no black spots.
I am truly sorry that you experienced lapses in our room service and housekeeping standards. The carpets in this room along with all the others in the section of the hotel where you were staying are being replaced on our rolling maintenance programme, but nevertheless they should still be clean.
I am sorry that on this occasion we did not afford you the standards on which we normally pride ourselves and I do hope that you will return so that we have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stayed here last July, booked it for my wedding anniversary. What a great choice, this is probably the best hotel we have stayed at, could not fault anything, restaurant excellent, bar good, rooms good. And service was good too.

Room Tip: Guessing all the rooms are good
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It is really good to see that you enjoyed your anniversary stay and found every element of the hotel to be good.
We look forward to seeing you soon
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
2.3 km away
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking
17.0 km away
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK