We are just back from the Christmas holiday at the Cumbria Grand Hotel and enjoyed our time in this old-world hotel. It really is old-world having been built in the 1880's and it still have a Victorian theatre in the basement!
One can imagine the dining room when people dressed in white-tie-and-tales for dinner,
Now there is no dress code and only a handful of visitors bother to appear properly dressed in the evening.
The menus have changed too. It is a self-service breakfast with lunch and dinner partly buffet style. The food is plain but well cooked with more than ample portions. The staff are young and mainly foreign workers with the excellent head waiter, Thomas from Hungary, in charge of the dining room ensuring that nothing was a problem!
The bedrooms are small but comfortable with modern bathrooms, tv, tea and cofee making facilities.
Live music was provided for each of the four evenings we stayed at the hotel and there is a full programme of entertainment.
Many of the guests have been coming back to this hotel for Christmas for up to five years and bring family with them. It is disappointing that the management fails to take note of this and they might wish to consider a Welcome Party for their regular guests.
Our only disappointment was check-out where the Reception staff failed to ask if we had enjoyerd our stay and would we be coming back again next year?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the picturesque English Lake District, by the popular tourist town of Grange over Sands, the Cumbria Grand Hotel is a perfect base for a relaxing break away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Cumbria Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cumbria Grand Hotel Grange-Over-Sands
- Cumbria Grand Grange Over Sands
- Cumbria Grand Hotel Grange-Over-Sands