Our reason for visiting Grantham/Lincoln was two fold.Christmas shopping and a visit to a Ghurka Restaurant that my husabnd had been to earlier in the year. As I had been to Nepal a couple of years ago he knew I was nostaligic for Momos' (see review for the Everest Resturant) and the Nepalese hospitality.
Parking for the Ancient & Royal is very easy in a dedicated car park at the rear of the hotel and not too far to walk with bags etc. Originally the hotel had booked us into a third floor room and as there are no lifts at the hotel my husband asked if there was any chance of being moved to the first floor as he was suffering from a knee injury. Although the hotel was very busy this was achieved with the minimum of fuss and with good humour.
On arrival the first thing that struck me was the obvious history of the buildings, parts of which date back to the 12th & 13th century, some lovely Victorian features mingling happily with medieval, Georgian, Tudor and more! The second was the lovely aroma of real fires that permeat throughout the ground floor.
Our arrival meant that the lunch time service was only minutes away from closing (last orders taken at 2.15p.m.) but we were served although there seemed to be a very long wait for the few people wanting to be served and it all appeared to be a little disorganised. At the end of the meal we were scouting around for a good 15 minutes looking/waiting for someone to present us with the bill. I had ordered a roast beef and horseradish sandwich which came with salad and French fries. There was plenty on the plate - a huge doorstep of a sandwich - and it was "o.k" but the beef was very very pink and very very chewy. My husband fared better with his Ham off the bone and mustard.
Our room was spotlessly clean and we liked the layout of a small lounge, bathroom and corridor separating it from the bedroom which was furnished with a huge four poster bed and 32" flat screen tv. In the lounge there was a small two seater settee, wardrobe, kettle with tea/coffee etc and bottles of water, a small dresser and a small flat screen tv on the wall. Bed linen was pristine white and comfortable.
The bathroom was a decent size but the tiles were dated and alongside the bath a whole section of them were coming away from the wall. Otherwise it was, like the rest of the "apartment" spotlessly clean, complete with complimentary toiletries.
The small hotel bar was cosy, again with a real fire in a huge stone fireplace and some interesting features. The young lady on duty in the bar was friendly, helpful and chatty.
Our room overlooked the rear courtyard and faced the rooms on the adjacent block of the hotel. On opening our blinds in the morning we were a little taken aback to see a couple in the facing room giving a somewhat full and naked amorous display in full view of the window and with their bedroom lights hiding nothing. On hastily closing our blind we wondered if Best Western might want to consider installing some heavy net curtains in facing rooms!
Breakfast (full English) and help yourself to juice/cereal etc; was good but the tables for two are so small there really isn't room to accommodate pots of tea and all the associate plates and condiments comfortably.
All in all though - a very pleasant stay at a hotel steeped in history and atmosphere,but we could have lived without the early morning entertainment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Idyllically situated in the ancient market town of Grantham in the south-west corner of Lincolnshire - The Angel and Royal Hotel is an historic hotel - in fact the oldest inn in Britain - and has hosted seven Kings over 800 years - Today the Angel and Royal features an award winning restaurant - cosy fire-lit nooks and bars and modern conference facilities - The individually designed rooms feature modern interiors and colours which complement the magnificent original features of the building - They all offer the facilities required for a comfortable stay including en-suite bathrooms - Freeview TV - phone - internet access - All rooms are no smoking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Angel And Royal Hotel
- Angel Royal Hotel
- Angel Royal Grantham
- Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel Grantham, England