“Lovely food and atmosphere. Great staff.”

Old Gate Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 25 Nightlife in Halifax
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely food. Good prices spacious pub. Well trained and gracious staff in a very interesting part of old Yorkshire. Dig friendly too downstairs. Ideal place for lunch.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"yorkshire"
"round"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Six of us ate here on Good Friday, I booked easily online.... I’m a silver surfer... the staff were accommodating, I really enjoyed my meal.... salmon with squid, prawns and green veg, superb, others had the fish and chips, it looked good and the plates were emptied, the other two had a beef burger with huge chips and salad. I would like to come again and have Sunday lunch.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Popped into the Old Gate yesterday for a pint of black real ale (Porters preferred). Sadly considering the amazing number of pumps only one black ale and it was a stout, hey ho one must make do. However the stout was well kept and very nice indeed. I was told that another black ale was going to be put on but sadly during the process of being put on it must have been worried by the cellarman because it turned into, yes you got it yet another blonde. Ok rant over. Now to the mind blowing bit. My partner and I were hungry so we scanned the menu. My partner is a veggie, I am not. She went for the veggie burger which I am reliably informed was excellent, high praise indeed from my partner. I bizarrely chose the veggie dish 'Yorkshire parcel' and I made that choice purely from what the description of the contents were on the menu. It was divine, an orgiastic explosion on the taste buds, food to die for. whilst in the bar I saw a breakfast delivered to a nearby table and thought God I need to get some of that, sadly only sold till 12.00 noon but all this gorgeous food well merits a return visit. Only gave you 4 stars due to the lack of porters otherwise I would have been petitioning Tripadvisor to create a 6 star bracket to cater for your establishment.

1  Thank johnson260
Reviewed 30 January 2018

Every once in a while the Old Gate can serve up a stinker, pies with no gravy inside, burnt meat, raw chicken etc. However when it gets it right it is very nice indeed. Any lamb they do is always good and I suggest the salt and pepper squid and king prawns as they are always perfect. Always better to go here when it is a little quieter as this is when the best food comes out.