All reviews reading room overlooking the harbour dining room was full traditional hotel crab bit dated old fashioned lamb pleasant stay full scottish breakfast and dinner great room orkney isles kippers three nights shower room lovely view
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

Faded shabby grand hotel but definately not chic. Far too pricey for what it was. Some well thought through and intelligent management would sort out most of problems.Shame really, it could be outstanding. My father had an amazing room overlooking the harbour but the chair leg was broken, clearly no one checks.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank graememcvittie
Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

I came here for a meal to celebrate my friends birthday. I ordered the pasta kirkwall which I have had plenty of times before, when it came and I cut into a piece of chicken and it was pink, I told the waitress and she took it back to the kitchen, and then brought it back out and said the restraunt manager and the chef said that is how it's meant to be, and it is thoroughly cooked. Both me and my friend agreed it was pink, so I did not eat anymore of it . No apologise were given, only argued that it wasn't. Will not be returning. The "restraunt manager was not welcoming at all. I don't think I saw her smile once, the waitress who served us was lovely and I couldn't fault her, but as for the manager, she was very rude and I only saw her talk to one customer, the other waitress dealt with the rest of the restraunt. Very poor. Not happy customers.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Linda G
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Having never visited Kirkwall before I didn’t know what I was in for...
This was the highest rated hotel at the time of booking....
The staff were friendly and did what they could when asked.
The food was average.
The decor is OLD apart from the up to date shower I had which was weird and lacked any pressure to wash the shampoo out my hair.
The temperature of the room was colder than it was outside I could see my own breath up until I couldn’t go any longer and asked if I could have a portable heater.
Watch your fingers on the lift and don’t attempt the stairs if alchemy has been consumed because the aren’t level.
The price should be reduced for what you’re getting.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Rachael P
Reviewed 16 August 2018

I've never stayed in such a dull, drab, depressing outdated room that I've had the pleasure of paying a fortune for!! I was charged £114 for a room in a 3* hotel with the most awful view of a dirty wall, the shower head was blocked with dirt so it didn't work very well, there was poo or blood down the wall next to the toilet roll holder, large patch of damp/mould on the ceiling, the light shade was on upside down because it was actually a lampshade, the hairdryer was the size of a teaspoon, I kid you not!!! The décor was so outdated I felt like I was back in the 70's-80's when chip board wallpaper was all the rage!

I asked where to park as the bays outside say you can only stay 30 minutes, and the website says there is Free Parking. I was told to leave it in the 30 minute bay it'll be ok, it'll only get towed away hahaha. So how can I then leave a hire car there not knowing if it might get towed or not, so in the pouring rain I had to find somewhere else I could trust!! This room was worth no more than £55. The money isn't the issue here as my company were paying, it was how depressing the room was, with its stains on the floors and the pillows as flat as a pancake. Never again will I stay here when I am on business, unless its given a makeover. A little tip to the hotel, add some pictures of the true rooms you are putting people in as well as the couple you have decorated!!

Room Tip: No room is the best room!!!
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Teresah44
Reviewed 10 August 2018

The initial impression is - darkness - as the front lobby is very poorly lit. There is also a permanent sign warning to be careful with the doors when the wind is blowing - after 100 years years and this is still an issue! We arrived at noon and were promptly told "check in is at 2.30pm" but we were permitted to leave our bags at reception. We had room 328 on the third floor, west side of the building - there is a lift but it is awkward to use (manual double closing doors) and we were warned about this too. The sunsets visible from the room were lovely but as the hotel is close to the harbour it does pick up noise from the boats.The cooked breakfasts were good, with an attentive staff taking orders and serving.

Room Tip: A view of the harbour will mean a slightly noisier room.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple