“Dinner ”

Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 39
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

Friendly staff and good choice of menu and great food. Would definitely visit again.
Easy to access from either Lyndhurst or Brockenhurst.

Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

Popped in for a meal and it was so much more than expected. The two family dogs Hector and Sexby are so friendly and I am not usually a dog lover! The salmon was exceptional and the staff were helpful and friendly. Topped off by the chef popping out to see how the meal was and a little birthday treat ( in the picture). Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

Ten of us went for lunch. We had booked a table and it was set up when we arrived at about 12:15.

Orders for drinks were taken first then a bit later food orders.

Food was a bit slow in coming but when it arrived the portions were huge and everyone really enjoyed their food - very fresh and tasty.

I had a half of Razorback bitter which was very tasty

Payment was efficient

There were two dogs that barked at us on arrival but were friendly once we got through the door. Probably not for you if you don’t like dogs.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

We had phoned ahead to book a table for two on Saturday evening, we couldn’t get in anywhere else round about, but no such problem at the Hobler. We had a table booked for 7pm, we had eaten and left by 8pm, so we can’t complain about the service time. When we arrived the first thing that we noticed was the strong dog smell, we probably should have left then. The young chaps behind the bar told us to choose a table, in fairness they came and spray cleaned the table. They didn’t clean the seats which under closer inspection were covered in dirty dog paw marks. In fairness, it’s isn’t their fault we had gone dressed for a evening meal out rather than dog walking. At this bit I feel I should point out we have two dogs of our own, which we adore, however, time and place apply. Neither of us feel an evening meal is necessarily the time or the place. The young men behind the bar gave very good service, polite and attentive. I’m afraid we struggled with the excessive smell of dog, whilst we were there about nine dogs came and went, several just wondered around independently. The place feels and looks dirty, I can honestly say I’ve never before been out for a meal and felt dirty after. The food was of average standard, although we didn’t stop for any more than a main course, we couldn’t get out quickly enough. The dog odour and atmosphere is so strong my husband was sneezing, with running eyes. Bearing in mind we have dogs, that’s quite a doggy environment. It was very clear people with their dogs love the place but if you are planning a regular meal out, avoid at all costs. Surely loving dogs doesn’t have to equate to smelly and dirty?

DJP1991, Owner at The Hobler, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2018

I'm glad that you found the service to your liking and that the food did not take long to get to you. I'm sorry that you thought there was a dog smell, however we had a busy day with lots of dogs and as you said there were 9 dogs in the pub in the evening. I can assure you everything is cleaned daily but again we can't get the vacuum out during service as it would disturb our customers. We believe a country pub in the middle of the New Forest full of animals is an ideal place to have dogs welcome. The two dogs wandering around our pub are the pub dogs which 99% of customers enjoy having around, especially the children. I surprised you said the food was average considering when we did a check back and asked before you paid you told us the food was great. If you want to eat somewhere posh I'd suggest a restaurant! At the end of the day, if it was so bad that you felt 'dirty' and it smelled bad, why did you stay? On top of this if you had sat away from the dogs then there wouldn't have been any smell. But again you chose to sit next to dogs instead of in our restaurant area where there were no dogs. If you would like to discuss anything please feel free to phone and ask for me.

Kind regards,
Danny

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

Very friendly staff and accommodating to us as a family with a dog. The food was wonderful. I recommend this place.