“What a welcome!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hill House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ross-on-Wye
The Hill House
Ranked #9 of 40 Ross-on-Wye B&B and Inns
Leek, United Kingdom
“What a welcome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I recently had a 'chill out' couple of days at Hill House, by myself...and on leaving can honestly say my batteries were well and truly charged. As a bit of a 'veteran' of 'Hill House, I had no qualms about a solo visit, as I knew I would be made to feel part of the family. I stayed in the North Suite....rather extravigant for one, and Duncan kept the stove burning and the room warm and cosy. Duncan cooked a delicious feast for me the first night, as I was the only guest at the time, the effort was much appreciated, then I retired to the bar to chat to the hosts. After breakfast the following day, I asked him not to bother cooking for me the following evening, as I knew I wouldn't have space. Alex very kindly offered me a bowl of delicious home made vegi soup, which was just enough, then back to the bar once more for Druid fluid and a chat!
I have stayed at Hill House many times, with my kids, with hubbie and with various friends. I can honestly say I have never had a bad experience, (apart from once in The White Lady room, when spirits kept me awake most of the night...and I'm not talking the alcoholic variety!!!). I would strongly recommend it to anyone who likes things a little 'quirky', friendly full of character and none-sterile.
Thanks, chaps, for another lovely stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank debwitch
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Rugeley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

NO HOT WATER!! (JOKE) We'd seen Hill House B&B on "The hotel Inspector", and my wife and I both thought, "That's the kind of place we want to stay!" We had a couple of days spare and booked into 'Old Mrs Thomas' room" for an overnight stay. Parking in the car park, and being led to the front door by a small back and white cat, the B&B itself looks like its a work in progress, with some building work going on and various building vehicles in place (see photo), but the place is big, quirky and boasts a large outside hot tub, so don't forget your swimming costumes! A very warm welcome was given to us on our arrival, and we were shown our room. A very clean and nicely decorated suite with a large square japanese en-suite bath! Duncan told us the hot water would be ready in a couple of hours, so we had a couple of drinks in the bar. Normally I don't drink bottled lager (Pint bottle of Beck's, and a bottle of wine), as it is usually very expensive, but Duncan charges probably slightly higher than supermarkets, so we never felt I was being ripped off in any way. The bar was very comfortable, with three full sized sofas, and a piano (wish I could play), and a roaring log fire. After a leisurely bath, we went down for supper. The evening four-course meal was something called "Gristin"?? very nice pork steaks on a white sauce with carrots; and [--], with jacket potato, broccoli and asparagus. I have never liked asparagus, but Duncan has converted me! They were gorgeous - cooked to perfection in butter MMmhhhhh!!!! There was far too much to eat, and I only had the ice cream, and my wife plumped for the very nice cheese and biscuit range, including one called "Stinking Bishop" which she actually enjoyed very much! We then finished with a very enjoyable evening in the bar with duncan and some of his old friends (Andrew and Anette) who were visiting. We were made very welcome, and we all chatted until past midnight. Breakfast was what we expected a very nicely cooked full English Breakfast, including fresh eggs from Duncan's hens, all expertly conceived by master [--] "Richard the Chicken-heart" - After breakfast, we never felt we were being rushed to get out. All in all, a fantastic short break for romantic couples in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Thank you Duncan and Alex! We will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AndyCowley17
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Well if quirky isn't for you don't bother going to Hill House you wouldn't appreciate it !!!!!
Would like to say a great big thank you to Duncan and Alex for such a wonderful welcome and a fantastic weekend.
My husband and I stayed in the north suite and felt lost in the amount of space we had, the lovely log burning fire,the lovely comfy bed and abundance of hot water.
The food was above and beyond what we were expecting, Duncan is a fantastic chef!!!!!!!
We decided to jump in the hot tub and found it to be fantastic sitting under the stars with the snow coming down around us.
Please Duncan and Alex, don't change anything about Hill House we thought it to be perfect and had such a relaxing weekend.
Hubby actually saw a ghost to which made his weekend.
Can't wait until march when we are going back for my 40th birthday and our wedding anniversary.....couldn't think of a better place to spend them !!!!!
Once again thank you Duncan and Alex.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Zanypanther72
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

Duncan and Alex were lovely hosts. You felt like you were just hanging out with friends by the end of the weekend. They were very kind to accept us with our 10 month old baby and dog, too!

The breakfasts will keep you going all day.

Room Tip: Can't remember the name of our room, Old Mrs "Someone's" room - but it was nice, b...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank scootaboi
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Just returned from a wonderful cycling weekend with our dear friends Janey and Dave, their 10 month old and Molly the dog. We (myself, husband, our 14 month old daughter and lab cross rescue dog Joey) stayed at Hill House for 3 nights, would have stayed longer if only work didn't interupt our fun.(Our 2nd family visit) Duncan, the owner, cooked the most delicious meal for 8 guests on the Friday evening. If only i could cook half as well. (He'll cater for you what ever your preference - carnivor, veggie or vegan) massive portions as always! For people that like the outdoors, Hill House is really well located. A brief commute takes you direct into the heart of the Forest of Dean where there's tons of choice for activities. Anyway, back to Hill House. It's a really relaxing place to stay. Duncan, his wife Alex and their children are all just such wonderful people. They truely care about animal wellfare, the environment and supporting local business, I really respect this!! Duncan has recently decided to accept well behaved, clean dogs at the house. This isn't currently featured on their web site. Can't wait for our next family visit!!!!!

Room Tip: I really like Old Mrs Thomas's room - It's cozy in Winter and has a cool bath. The North Sui...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family