All reviews beach suite class room dragon room boutique hotel juliet balcony sea view underfloor heating french doors tides reach dog friendly hotel lovely hotel salcombe town stunning location roll top bath bolt head out of season crab
Reviewed 21 August 2018

I stayed here with my mother for 4 nights at the beginning of the month as we had heard very good things from others. Unfortunately we got off to a bad start as, upon arrival, our room was set up as a double. We had called up in advance of booking to confirm that the room would be arranged as a twin yet it wasn't. A helpful man from reception came up with a member of housekeeping relatively quickly to separate the double bed frame for us however we did feel that this delay should not have been necessary given our express request and the fact that it was possible. Once we slept in the twin beds we realised that they had probably been hoping we simply wouldn't notice as the beds were very narrow when separated. I am a female and size 8-10 so I would certainly not recommend staying in a twin bed at South Sands if you are any bigger, it was a battle every night not to fall out of the bed. I also found myself inexplicably sneezing throughout my time in the room - potentially a result of leftover animal hair from previous guests' dogs? Another thing to fully realise is just how difficult it is to move about once at South Sands, the walk to Salcombe is manageable but by no means convenient and all of the roads are very difficult driving. I also had an issue on our penultimate day when the tin juice cup provided had somebody else's lipstick stains on... I took it to reception so as not to disturb the waiters and waitresses who were very busy and was assured they would handle it. Unfortunately the next day the same thing happened!!! Nobody was at all apologetic on that occasion and there was a group of staff in reception when I took it to complain who simply stopped and stared, said nothing, and left it for one junior man to deal with it alone. Having stayed in hotels across the globe I very much doubt that there would be no compensation for such an unhygienic situation especially when repeated the next day anywhere else!

Those complaints made, there were touches we loved. Jonny the driver was very warm and friendly and available whenever we needed him on the days he worked (he doesn't work every day which is worth remembering since nobody told us which days he did!) The food is extremely costly (£70 for two for a meal eating off your knees in the bar) but it was delicious. I had the best fish I have eaten in their fish and chips. Similarly the breakfast has lots to offer and a beautiful view to enjoy.

In future we would stay elsewhere and visit only for an evening meal!

Room tip: Don't get a twin!!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank rhiannav2014
Freya102, Front Office Manager at South Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Dear 'Rhianna V'
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry you were unhappy with aspects of your stay, even if we do not entirely agree with some of your comments. I am glad Johnny looked after you whilst on shift & hope you will return for an evening meal.
Best Wishes, Freya

Reviewed 18 August 2018

Living in Salcombe, I tend to avoid writing local restaurant reviews, partly because quality tends to fluctuate depending upon who is cheffing and who is serving. However I have eaten at The South Sands Hotel three or four times over the past year and on all occasions have had good experiences.

We ate last night as part of a group of ten, and enjoyed a couple of rounds of sundowners on the terrace overlooking South Sands beach, while placing our orders to extremely amiable and attentive waiter, who’s name escapes me.

I had Ham Hock Terrine, followed by a Hake dish, followed by Summer Pudding. We stuck to the house wines which were most agreeable. Portions were spot on, neither minuscule nor overwhelming. Quality was excellent.

At around £65 a head, including service, this actually represents better value and quality than several other Salcombe establishments ... for 2018 this is my choice for “Salcombe fine dining”.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Freya102, Front Office Manager at South Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2018

Dear 'Blueyacht'

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us (even if you prefer not to normally) - it really is incredibly pleasing to read. Often people don't realise we are open to everyone, all year round, not just for hotel guests.
I am glad everything was to your satisfaction including food, wine, service and pricing! Thank you for your 'Salcombe fine dining' vote!
I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit which I have no doubts will be equally enjoyable (and hopefully the weather will be kind so you can enjoy the terrace again!).

Reviewed 10 August 2018

Visited midweek in August to eat and drink only. We popped into the bar at lunchtime to look at the evening menu as we had booked a table with friends that evening and wanted to check the menu prices. We decided to have a lunchtime drink in the bar and chose the special gin cocktail made with hibiscus syrup. A great ceremony was made of making these by the delightful barman whose name I didn't catch (he told us it was his girlfriend that prompted him to make hibiscus syrup with which the cocktails were made). They were beautifully presented and it honestly made such a difference being served by such a charming and pleasant member of staff.
We returned in the evening with friends for our booked table but unfortunately the same barman was not on duty. Evening staff were perfectly pleasant however and very attentive. We all enjoyed our meal but the whole place lacks the 'wow' factor you might expect for the prices and the brochure. The restaurant is trying to look casual and 'beachy' but it somewhow doesn't work. So the food - starters were ok - nothing special. We ordered something crabby with a watermelon jus - it was too mayonnaisy and the jus just tasted like liquid watermelon although to be fair it was beautifully presented with little pansies on it. Main course was unmemorable - something fishy that sounded promising but the portions were sized 'small' and 'smaller' - how hard can it be to accurately cut up pieces of fish to be of similar size? Puds were similarly unremarkable and the service by this point (only 9.30pm but we were asked for our pudding order three times in 5 minutes by 3 different members of staff - by this point the restaurant was empty and obviously the kitchen staff were keen to pack up and go home) - anyway the puddings were sadly lacking - polenta cake and apricot baba both very crumbly and dry. The worst bit about the entire experience was a visit to the toilets to discover no hand towels left and a heap of dirty ones on the floor (the linen basket was full of dirty handtowels). On our return the next day the toilets clearly hadn't been touched by a cleaner as the pile of towels was still there. Oh dear.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank narcissiyellow

Dear 'narcissiyellow'

Thank you for your kind words about Marius - he is our bar manager here and always takes such care when preparing cocktails, putting in so much thought and preparation - he claims all cocktails are made with love! I will ensure I pass your feedback to him.
I am sorry to hear your experience did not match that of your first visit. It really is disappointing to read you were not left with lasting memories.I can also only apologise in regards to the hand towels this shouldn't have happened, procedures with these are usually to perfection. I do hope you will visit us again soon and you experience the great 1st impressions you had here.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Managed to get a reservation for 1 night when returning to Bedfordshire from Cornwall. Not exactly en route but well worth the detour. Room was spotless, well appointed but pricey.
Dinner was delicious featuring local fish and the bar bill was reasonable.
Breakfast was a highlight taken on the veranda overlooking the beach. Well worth a visit.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank HIBOXY
Freya102, Front Office Manager at South Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

Dear 'HIBOXY'

I'm glad we managed to squeeze you in for a last minute extra night away! I'm glad you enjoyed the offering in the restaurant especially the local fish. Thank you for writing a review.

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Impromptu cream tea on a trip to Salcombe. It was the best cream tea we have ever had. Beautiful warm scones (2 each!) homemade fresh strawberry jam with whole strawberries and tonnes of cream! Lovely pot of tea alongside gorgeous sea views. High recommend.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear 'Nadine H'

Great last minute choice! Thank you for writing a review, I'm glad you enjoyed our offering... the question is what went on the scone first, the jam or the cream!? Thanks again!