3,445 results
All reviews sauna and steam room grand old hotel grand staircase groupon deal course meal buffet style bit dated opera house short break lovely view full english grandeur chandeliers character derbyshire
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is not a 4 star hotel and I do not know how they get away with charging £100 a night. One of the main reasons we booked the room was because it had a bath, complete false advertisement!!! My partner and I was put in room 13 (please stay clear) it can only be described as a very odd set up and was clearly the old servant quarters. Our room was also the main root for fire escape for the main part of the hotel above. The decoration in the room was far from luxury more like uni dorm rooms. We complained to lady on reception who did not care! We was offered a very small dirty room with a bath. (Not enough room to swing a cat let alone put a cot up for our baby) so we had to stay in room 13. We tried to make a coffee and there was no milk, tried to phone reception.... No phone in room went back to reception
Massive queue so we bought our own. We had to have dinner at hotel due having baby, we was dreading this however this was the only bit of the hotel experience we found good. Staff was friendly there and food off of the set menu was nice. We did not have breakfast as we decided to listen to reviews this time. We will not be staying there again. Please please please do not stay here there is a lot more grand hotels to stay in. The palace hotel and most of the staff should hang there heads in shame what a joke!!! Complete and utter waste of money! And to top it off they charge you £4.50 a day for parking. The spa rooms are dirty, the pool seemed ok but the sauna and steam rooms can only be described as grimy! So disappointed wish we had listened to the reviews!

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Amy L
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was a lovely birthday gift at a beautiful old hotel. On a cold, wet, very windy October afternoon the conservatory was not the best place to be but enjoyable just the same. More than enough food and superb service made me feel quite grand! Thank you.

Stayed: October 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Why didn’t I read these reviews beforehand.

Please believe the bad reviews - this place is a bit of a dump but could be lovely. My room was an ok size and cost £70 plus breakfast. Including parking it was £84.50 a night. This seems a typical price for Buxton although admittedly cheap if you look more widely in the Peak District.

When I first arrived I loved seeing the dogs in reception and thought how lovely it was that people could stay with their pets. Then I went in my room. It still stank of wet dog. Pretty much the same smell as a kennel. Hotels don’t let you stay with your animals normally for a reason I suppose! There is a nagging feeling at the back of my brain that it is not wet dog but something more to do with humans....but I am choosing to ignore this.

I did complain and to their credit they sent up a very polite guy with a plug in air freshener who promised they don’t let dogs up to the rooms and it could just be it wasn’t used in a while....yeah right. By the morning I had worked out the smell was coming from the bathroom. Keeping this door shut helped. Maybe it wasn’t wet dogs but the drains??

Now for the rest of my complaints. In no order of importance.

No free wifi.

Numerous cracked tiles in the bathroom.

The bed sheet isn’t fitted

Rotten window frames

Half the plugs sockets are not like I have ever come across in the UK - and I am British and have lived here all my life!!!!
Googling them it seems they do exist but are very rare and old fashioned . Needless to say this means you can’t use any of your appliances in them. Forget charging phones or laptops. There are two modern sockets in the room. Used for the tv and kettle. This is 2018 - don’t get me wrong I like old fashioned but old fashioned plug sockets????

Check in took 20 minutes although the girl was nice. Another guy faffing around behind the reception and just ignored the queue.

I wasn’t the only one disappointed. Everyone was complaining about the unreliable lift, being given the wrong room and walking in on someone, awful access for the elderly and disabled.......

On the plus side, superficially the room appeared clean. Unfortunately because of the smell it never really felt it. Spare pillows in the wardrobe were appreciated. Also all the staff I talked to were friendly. They appeared inexperienced and a bit lost. Breakfast was better than I expected. Would be nice to have a proper pot of tea available. It was odd it finished at 9.30am on a weekday when it is obviously a tourist and not a business hotel.

Hotel management (not the staff) should be ashamed of themselves. The building is beautiful - what a shame you can’t fine owners for letting it get so shabby. It’s amazing to think this place calls itself 4*. It seemed to be pretty busy for a wet weekend in October so they must be making money. Vote with your feet and make the owners invest in their hotel. Don’t stay here.

Stayed: October 2018
3  Thank AWels
Reviewed 9 October 2018

What an interesting and stunning building, but it needs some attention. I think it has had its day and needs some serious investment to bring it back to what it once was. We stayed here about 12 years ago and had a fabulous stay, but seems to have been neglected. What a shame

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank H6551XH
Reviewed 9 October 2018

This was a very disappointing place to stay. The do say you get what you pay for! It was one of the cheapest places I have stayed with the whole decor looking tired and worn out. There were cracked ceilings, chipped tiles in the very small shower room and a very dirty stainless steel bin. The staff were friendly and helpful but didn’t make up for the poor presentation of the room. We did have dinner which was ok. We didn’t stay for breakfast.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple