“amazing food yum yum yum” 5 of 5 bubbles

Three Tuns
Ranked #4 of 30 Restaurants in Hay-on-Wye
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 49
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Three Tuns dates back to the early 16th Century - although some records make even earlier reference to this, the oldest pub in Hay on Wye.Famous for its unique charm and character, Three Tuns became a popular haunt with local characters and well known personalities such as Jools Holland, Marianne Faithful, Neil Kinnock, Huw Edwards and some as infamous as the Great Train Robbers!Unfortunately the Three Tuns suffered a devastating fire in 2005, but a sympathetic restoration has brought life to the old building once again.Enjoy the huge inglenook fires, 16th century beams and the sympathetic new additions such as the garden room and large beer garden
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“amazing food yum yum yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

amazing,amazing food yum yum went on the 3march with my wife, had the scolps, they was amazing, mouth water. and the rib-eye was to die for, with chunkey chip(nice). the staff was lovely and friendly. the customers sat next to us was not very nice, and given the staff a lot of stick. value was ok for a resaurant and the cheapest around. so i would come again.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank cristle27
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

wrexham
“Overall, a complete disaster!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed in Hay on Wye for a romantic break in March. Hoping for a really nice meal on the Friday night, we'd pre booked a table earlier in the week. The reviews sounded good and we'd peeked at the menu the last time we were in Hay in the summer, so we we're really looking forward to it. What looked like a cosy restaurant (through the street windows) was not quite as it seemed, there is a large brightly lit and roughly furnished cafe room at the back which adjoins all the eating areas. Unfortunately a rowdy table of young local lads were having a whale of a time in there, no problem with that but the language was too osbscene to be repeated on Trip Advisor and none of the staff seemed to take a blind bit of notice. We're not easily offended and just laughed it off, but I was glad we didnt take the mother in law with us. The waitress arrived and took our order, presenting our ordered bottle of red with the assumption "Youll be Ok to pour that yourselves..". We picked two 'salmon and poached egg' starters with 'Bouillabaisse' and the 'Rib Eye steak' as mains. Twenty minutes later our main courses turned up. Somehow the waitress had forgotten to take the order for starters and only realised when we told her. The Bouillabaisse didnt look as it should. Stodgy and dense rather than a rich broth. The waitress apologised for the mix up and was clearly very embarrassed, she told us that the bottle of red was therefore 'on the house'.
Having glimpsed the main course I changed my choice to a rare Rib Eye steak.
The starters followed in good time, my salmon/hollandaise/poached egg was good but my girlfriends egg was cold. The waitress by now was pretty stressed and by this time we didnt want to complain to make things even worse. The mains arrived, very nice chips and vegetables. My partners steak was a perfectly cooked 'medium' but my 'rare' steak was actually cooked 'blue' and had only been shown the pan, hence a bit chewy. We left dissapointed, without leaving a tip, which is unusual for us. We certainly won't recommend the place nor visit again.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jossWrexham
ThreeTuns, Owner at Three Tuns, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
On the whole a fair review of a series of one off's that I can understand ruined this couples enjoyment of their night at the Three Tuns. Please be assured that this is far from typical of the service that we strive to offer and do offer in 99.9% of cases. I have been in communication with the reviewer, apologised, discussed the matter at quite some length, taken actions to avoid a repeat and made an offer to make them happy customers again.

Iain Burgess
Owner
North East
“yummy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

crackling log fire, good service and excellent food, have chips!

Visited December 2011
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Lovely birthday dinner for my fiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

We used to drink cider with Lucy at the Three Tuns before the awful fire. It's a completely different place now, but still lovely with a cost atmosphere despite the modernisation.

When I called to book a table (during the Hay winter festival so I was concerned about space) the woman who took my call was great and incredibly helpful. This continued when we arrived, when they swapped our table without a murmur when we preferred to sit in the main bar, and also when we ordered. Nothing was too much trouble - the mushroom risotto for starter instead of main course? Certainly, no problem. The meatballs-of-a-type-whose-name-I-can't-mention-on-tripadvisor-which-is-also-a-derogatory-term-for-the-gay-fraternity with chips instead of mash? Yes, that's fine. The staff even gave us advice on parking outside on the road, as the wine was so lovely I decided to leave the car and walk back. In short, we had a lovely meal with great service and great food. We'll be back.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank nicnjim
United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Avoid at all costs - over-priced and over-rated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Went for a meal with friends for a special occassion. Hoped for a nice night and a good meal as with my wife being 7 months pregnant (and two more at home) we don't get out that often.

First of all they served up a salmon meal for my wife which was almost entirely raw. Not just a little - scrape off the sauce and this looked like it had come straight from the chilled shelf at Tesco. Unpleasant at best, but potentially dangerous for an unborn baby. It was sent back (no word of apology) and came back re-heated, but still raw in the middle. 'Looks alright to me' said the waitress, basically ignoring our concerns and walking off. Since the others in the group had virtually finished their meals by now my wife gave up, picked at what she could but left most of it and got some crisps from the bar.

My meal on the other hand was forgotten completely - the waitress had made a hash of the order and I simply didn't get any food. I kept asking but to no avail, and by the time it finally arrived not only had the others in the group finished theirs but their plates had even been cleared away. I sat there, the only one eating while the rest of the group socialised. Again, no apology.

When it came time to pay the bill I recounted all the problems and suggested that they couldn't possibly charge us the full amount for the cr*p they'd served up (or not served up as the case may be). Whilst they didn't deny any of what had happened, the response from the chef was 'you eat some of the food so you pay for it'.

This is just another mediocre pub thinking it can label itself a 'gastropub' and double it's prices, while still serving up below-average fodder. And customer service is not a concept they seem to understand.

Our group of around 20 who meet like this from time to time (and spend a lot of money on food and drink in the process) now meet elsewhere. Never again. Many pubs are falling in the recession, but this is one that really deserves to.

• Visited December 2010
1 Thank Padai234
ThreeTuns, Owner at Three Tuns, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
David,

I was alarmed to read your review and to learn that your experience at the Three Tuns was anything short of perfect. As you know I have contacted you under separate cover to personally apologise, ensure that you are suitably compensated and to identify the staff member involved to ensure that this never happens again. I hope that the other reviews on this site add weight to the fact that this was a rare but very serious lapse in our exceptionally high standards. Once agin my sincere apologies

All the best