All reviewscastle viewchepstow castleopposite the castlegarden roomhonesty barpay and displaycharming placecar parkcreaking floorboardstourist informationold buildinglovely gardenseparate buildingsunday roasttown centreoriginal featurescooked breakfast
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Nice old building and staff very friendly, the breakfasts are good and location is excellent. There is no free parking but the car park directly opposite is only £4 for 24 hours. They have a bar which is very comfortable but sadly they don't make the most of it and is shut most of the time to none residents. However they have an "honesty pot" for residents whereby you can serve yourself and just mark down what you have had which is a really nice touch.
The room was spacious and clean enough but I don't really like the sheet under the duvet as I get a feeling that the cover on the duvet does not probably get changed after every guest, so I then spend the night trying to keep the sheet between myself and the duvet. The bathroom was looking a bit dated and in need of new decoration, the shower was adequate.

Our biggest concern was the way we were not put in the main building but instead we were in an annex type granny flat some 45m from the main building.
This wasn't made clear when booking and one of the main reasons for booking this hotel was because of its historic value. Our actual accommodation was a new build with very thin walls and creaking floorboards from the people in the room above us.
I feel this is slightly verging on false advertising as everything I read about the rooms and the premises is about the main building which is actually quite lovely and which is what I thought we were getting due to the description.
This should be made a lot clearer at time of booking as we simply would not have booked this hotel if we had known.
Don't get me wrong the annex is quite nice and set in lovely gardens and some people may prefer this but the choice should be with the guests. We personally don't like going outside of the main building to get to our room as it doesn't make you feel part of that hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main building, unless you don't mind being in an annex some 45m from the hotel itself.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Spent one night at this B&B. The staff were friendly and very welcoming. Sadly, we had to complain about our room within ten minutes of arrival because the carpet was absolutely covered in dog hair. This is a pet friendly hotel, but it's no excuse. When we asked for the room to be hovered whilst we were at dinner, they did so and it was much improved when we got back. The bed was comfy and we slept well. The bathroom needed some repairs but was clean and we had a lovely hot shower.
Slightly more worrying is the food hygiene rating sticker that is in their window. It's only a 1, which is the lowest standard that requires urgent improvement. Certainly not the best advert for any establishment. The nearest pub up the road also have a fairly low rating with a 3 so we kept walking until we found something better.
Breakfast was fine but our disappointment continued when the castle was shut for no apparent reason. Clearly this isn't the fault of the B&B but it was the only reason we were in the area!..

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2017

The castle was great, well worth exploring. Our room was adequate, although the furnishings were a bit dated. We came on a Monday night and most of the eating establishments in the neighborhood were closed on Mondays. We did find a good Indian restaurant a ways up the hill.
There was a problem with our reservations for what we thought would be our second night at this hotel. The manager went the extra mile to come up with a solution to house the six of us and get us to our bus to Heathrow in the morning. He is to be commended for showing us true Welsh hospitality.

Room Tip: Some noisy cars at night in the street out front; probably quieter in the back.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for one night following the Wales in a day bike ride (Caernarfon to Chepstow). The hotel is central Chepstow at the bottom of the hill opposite the castle.

There isn't a hotel car park but there's a large pay and display opposite the door which is free after 5pm and all day Sunday. It's £1 for a two hour stay so if you arrive Saturday afternoon it's a great place to park, plenty of room and there's a tourist information centre in the car park.

The B&B is really quaint inside, cosy bar, leather Chesterfield chairs and really nicely furnished. Prompt check in and the young chap showed me to the room (11) which was out of the back of the hotel and in one of the chalet type rooms in the garden, over looking the pond.

My first impressions of the garden rooms was not the best. I guess we had this room as we'd originally booked with a pet, who subsequently didn't travel with us. The corridor leading to the room smelt really musty and it was outdated with old pictures and tired walls. The room on the other hand was very nice. It was nicely furnished, had tea and coffee and biscuits, toiletries and a comfy bed.

A couple of negatives were the dark head hairs and dog hair I found in the bed, I'm really sick of arriving at hotels and inns and finding human hair, I cannot understand this. There were also holes in one of the pillows as pictured, the towels were very tatty and the tv signal was terrible, so I couldn't use it. The carpet was also a little tatty in places and there was quite a lot of dust everywhere (Venetian blinds, lamps etc.)

We had a few drinks in the bar on the Saturday night. The waiter stayed around I think a little later than planned asking if the cyclists had all the drinks they needed. After he left there was an honesty bar.

We had a really quiet night's sleep and woke to the small of bacon and coffee which was being prepared just below us in the kitchen.

Breakfast was included in the price and was a really tasty full cooked breakfast. There were also muffins, cereals and croissants on the continental table. The ladies at breakfast were all really helpful and lovely.

It's a nice little Inn to stay at. I think better for short stays. I think a room in the main hotel might be a little nice than the garden rooms.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zoe M
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Spent a night here as we were seeing Coldplay in Cardiff, train station a few minutes away and good links to Cardiff . Really welcoming staff, everywhere was spotlessly clean. The room was a good size, clean and decorating in keeping with age of the building. Breakfast was excellent, good choice and good quality.
Would happily return and recommend.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple