“Beyond disappointed - words actually fail me”
Review of Heritage Suites

Heritage Suites
Reviewed 4 May 2016

I found these apartments for my parents a couple of years ago as they were local for staying near Huddersfield whilst visiting family and convenient for getting about.

They have stayed 3 times since and I was really looking forward to finally staying here myself with my son (age 8) and my mum and dad for a week of visiting family.

What a disaster.

We booked about 2 months in advance. We thought we'd have to have 2 apartments to accommodate the 4 of us. The day before our visit they contacted us and advised that they had a two bed apartment available which might suit us better. We expected the same quality as my parents had previously experienced.

We arrived after hours and so the keys were in a lock box. There were 'directions' to our loft apartment. When we followed the directions it turned out the apartment was on the other side from where my parents usually stayed. And it was up 4 flights of concrete (uncarpeted, slippery) stairs........ The other apartments have lift access.

My mum and dad are both over 80 and last time they stayed (Sept 2015) was just before my dad had a full knee-replacement operation which he is now recuperating from. My dad is on first name terms with the staff and always goes into the office. The last twice he visited he was using a walking stick as he couldn't walk too far very steadily. My mum meanwhile is pretty frail and has had a number of strokes. Climbing concrete stairs for them was like completing an obstacle course.

If the office had been open I'd have gone and said something straight away, but it wasn't. So I carried a car full of cases up all the stairs, went and found the car parking space (eventually... it was quite secluded and I didn't really feel either the car or I were safe when I was parking it).

The apartment really needed work. The radiators were hanging off the walls, the bathroom fan had been switched off, there weren't enough glasses for 4 people. There was none of the luxury you see in the advertising pictures on their website. The bathroom was very small with a normal bath with shower over. Nowhere to hang towels for 4 people...(not even any hooks on the doors in bathroom or in bedrooms). Not enough room for 2 ladies toiletries.... When they serviced it whilst we were out on the Friday (we arrived on a weds) they took away the towels but didn't leave any new ones - and the office was closed all weekend, so no towels till Monday......

The stairs situation meant that none of our elderly relatives could come visit us and also meant that we had to plan our days so that my parents were climbing the stairs as few times as possible. Truly ridiculous.

In short - nothing like what we were expecting and certainly not worth the £800 (!!!) paid.

Room Tip: Don't get loft 22! or Loft 19 or 20 if you want lift access.....
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
HeritageYorkshire, Manager at Heritage Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2016

Hi Wickfordmum,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We take all feedback very seriously and are constantly aiming to improve our service and make sure guest happiness is at a maximum.

I'm very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with us. Your parents are regular guests of ours, and we have built a good relationship up with them over the years, so I am sorry to hear that you do not feel the same.

We rang your parents before their visit to explain that they had two options of accommodation when staying with us - either 2 inter locking studios to accommodate 4 people which lacked a living area and a bath, or our fully furnished 2 bedroom apartment with full kitchen, washing machine, dish washer etc, bathroom with bath and spacious living area.
Your parents decided that the 2nd option was best, as it would be nice to benefit from the living area when they had friends and family visiting over the course of the stay. We explicitly advised your parents that there was no lift access to this apartment and that there would be a significant amount of steps to climb. I even asked my colleague to ring them back and double check as I am aware that they are elderly and may struggle. After checking twice, your parents were still sure that they would prefer to stay in the 2 bedroom apartment and the steps would not hinder them in any way. We think about guest comfort and safety first and foremost and would never in any way think to hide the fact that an apartment was stair access only - it states that on our website and on all of our booking engines.

There is a number to ring if there are any issues, so despite the fact that reception wasn't open (8am-5pm Monday-Friday), there is a number given to you on the back of your key ring, in your booking confirmation email, on the back of your door and also in your welcome envelope. We have a member of staff working on site until midnight every night that could have assisted, and also a member of staff on call who lives on site.

I can assure you that parking your car in our private car park is safe and secure. We have CCTV in case it is ever needed, and full time residents on site that park their cars in the same car park and never have any issues. I am sorry that you felt unsafe, but as Lindley is a nice area, and the land is private we rarely have any issues. As I said before, we also have a member of staff on site until midnight who will walk around the property and do checks.

Please accept my apologies for the lack of wine glasses when you arrived, but I'm sure you will agree that this problem was rectified almost instantly as soon as we were told. I am disappointed that although you came into reception to let us know about the wine glasses, and ask for a second key (which was given to you for no extra charge), you never mentioned any of the problems that you have chosen to write in your review after your stay. If you had expressed your concerns earlier in your stay, we would have done all we could to move you to another apartment to allow you to feel more comfortable but unfortunately you didn't allow us the chance. If we are unaware of a problem, we cannot fix it and as your parents even popped in to see us and bought us a small gift to say thank you for everything - we would have assumed that they were happy the service.

We are a small independent business, and we strive to make sure that our guests are happy and our rooms are kept in the best condition. As a team, we are hurt that it has been suggested that we may not have considered the age and health of your parents, as we have a great relationship with them, and we would always make sure that our guests were comfortable with the room that they have been allocated. As I said earlier - we gave them a choice and they were more than happy with the apartment lay out.

I have since spoken to your parents, as they rang to book again for the Summer, and after asking them about any concerns they may have had, they reiterated that they were extremely happy with Heritage and continue to find no fault in it.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 April 2016 via mobile

My husband arranged for us to stay here with a group of friends for my 30th birthday.

Being rubbish at organising, he contacted heritage and asked if he could arrange anything special in the area? They helped him book spa treatments at the onsite spa (which were brilliant) and a meal at the on-site bistro (which was amazing; really tasty, excellent cocktails and great service).

We had the York suit, which was beautiful. There was a giant shower and freestanding bath, which were really luxurious. Wonderful little touches like chocolates on the bed and biscuits to go with the tea and coffee made it extra special.

The room was warm and the bed was so comfy. I would recommend this place to anyone and will certainly be staying there again.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
HeritageYorkshire, Guest Relations Manager at Heritage Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2016

Hi Laurajb86,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - we love to hear feedback of any kind, and it's even better when our guests share their positive experiences with us!
We love organising special weekends and occasions, and it's really easy to impress when we have such amazing facilities on site such as the spa and the bistro.
Other than the York Suite, there are 5 more suites to choose from, and they're all unique... so we'd love to see you again in the future!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 14 March 2016

This trip was for our wedding anniversary and the first holiday of the year for us. It was a bit disappointing. Firstly the booking in was confusing and the pin code didn't work so we had to ring the emergency number. The member of staff was very helpful and we were able to get our key. However we had to ring again because we couldn't get the lift to work and I am not good with lifts, again the member of staff was very helpful and gave me a fob to use the stairs.

The Plover suite was lovely with fantastic views, it was spacious, the kitchenette was well stocked and the bedroom was spacious. The bathroom was bigger than we expected, however there was a big issue with it. It had a really bad smell of poo. The smell was worst in the mornings and was so overpowering that it made us feel sick, we then thought we could smell it in the bedroom as well, in fact the smell seemed to permeate the entire flat We decided to leave early as the smell was just too bad.

Considering we were so far away from the town, parking was hit and miss.

I really think you need to sort out the drainage to Plover suite immediately as it is likely to be a health and safety risk.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple

Hi Jane P,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. All feedback is important and we take it very seriously. Customer satisfaction is our number one concern, and we are always working to ensure we are giving the best service we can give.

I'm sorry to hear that you found the self check in service confusing - we send out confirmation emails with the instructions upon booking, and a reminder text on the day of the arrival. With it being serviced apartments, rather than a hotel, we don't have a fully manned front desk after 5pm on an evening but we always have a member of staff on site, as well as a night porter. We find that a self check in system is the best method, as guests have the freedom to check in at any time. The pin code that was provided to you was the correct one, and I'm glad out member of staff on call was able to quickly assist you.

As Heritage is a multi-use building, the lift has a unique code for each floor for your own peace of mind. Again, the code is given to you in the booking confirmation and the text as a reminder. If you aren't comfortable with using lifts; the stairs are always an option.

Parking around the complex is free, and you are able to park anywhere in the main courtyard, on the two roads surrounding or in the overflow car park on Plover Road. I'm sorry you struggled to find a space.

Thank you for bringing my attention to the smell in the Plover bathroom - now we are aware of it we are able to find out what the issue is and find a solution to the problem. It's a shame that you didn't tell us whilst you were staying as we would have moved you to another room straight away and hopefully you would have been able to write a more positive review, but unfortunately we were unaware of the problem until after you checked out and nothing was mentioned to the team. There is also an on call number (written in your welcome envelope, in the email, the text & on the back of your key) you could have rang at any time to notify us of the problem.

Reviewed 1 March 2016

Heritage Lofts is in an old mill, a mile or so from the M62 junction and just off the main road into Huddersfield which is about a 10-15 minute drive to the centre.

I booked a studio apartment which was at the top of the mill and had exposed beams supported by steel RSJs, both horizontally and vertically like pit props! it had a double bed, small kitchenette and good sized bathroom. The bedroom area was around 13ft square, simply furnished with one bedside table, a wardrobe and dresser unit which had a small TV on. The room was pleasantly, but plainly decorated in lilac with co-ordinating bed linen. The kitchenette had a fridge, microwave, toaster and kettle and crockery/cutlery for two people. Complimentary Fair Trade tea and coffee sachets which was a nice touch. The bathroom was a good size, quite modernly decorated in beige. Overall a simple but pleasant studio.

A few little niggles, mainly the bathroom could do with a bit of attention. The fan didn't work so it got pretty steamy in there and the basin tap wasn't attached to anything except the water pipe so it was stupidly mobile and a bit scary to use as I kept thinking it was going to snap off! It was also pretty black at the bottom. And the back shelf badly needed painting. Only two coat hangers which was a pain and the rooms are only serviced every 3 days to be prepared to make your own bed!

Oh, and it gets pretty windy as the hotel is geographically quite high...and it's a tall mill too - it was a wild couple of nights and the noise really rattled the roof which made sleeping a tad difficult. It does have a view but it's not a spectacular one.

Value for money? I'd say so really - my apartment was £50 per night which I didn't think was bad and if you want the freedom of self-catering, then it's perfect. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank DaneQueen

Hi DaneQueen,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Heritage. We love to hear feedback - especially when there are areas that we can improve upon.

Since reading your review, I'm pleased to say that we have worked hard on improving the decor in the studios and suites. Studio 3 bathroom has now been re-painted, as well as the bedroom and we have added new soft furnishings to the room. We have also addressed the problem with the extractor fan and it is now working properly.
We have also added extra coat hangers to each room so rather than 2, there are now 8 in each room.

I really appreciate the positive things you've said about Heritage, as we have tried to sympathetically restore a beautiful old mill building, whilst keeping some of the original features.

We hope you would choose to stay again, and hopefully you will notice some improvements too.

Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

Stayed for 4 months because was on business trip. There were many annoyances. The seals on the windows in my flat were leaky, and when it rained (which it does a lot in Huddersfield) the water literally came pouring into the room. I complained, and their solution was a dirty towel to mop up the water. For 4 months. The cleaners were lackadaisical, and I felt they tried to do the minimum possible. The bathroom plugs smelt occasionally. I was there four months and they didn't offer the smallest hint of a discount, but the service I received was very much discounted. Met a couple in the lobby who were there for the weekend who also said their experience wasn't great. The bathroom in the Scarborough suite is also not suitable for anyone over 5ft 10inches.

The suites are really very nicely and tastefully decorated, and for short stays the little annoyances might not be so bothersome, but I would not recommend for longer stays.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo

Hi thisisLara,

Thank you for giving feedback on your long term stay with us at Heritage.

I am really sorry to hear about the problems with the windows in the Scarborough Suite. Unfortunately, as we are a very old converted mill building; sometimes the weather gets the better of it. It is very tricky to fix pointing and window seals on the outside of the building whilst the weather is still bad and the brick etc is still wet, so we usually do have to wait for better weather. I can assure you that we take these problems very seriously and we have worked hard to ensure that this leak does not reoccur. The towels were a short term option to stop water from getting on to any of your personal belongings and causing more damage - we would always replace the towels every service so they were fresh.

The Scarborough Suite has since been refurbished and is now known as the Castle Hill Suite, so I would hope that any problems you encountered have now been rectified.

The front desk and management team is on site from 8am to 5pm every Monday-Friday, and we have a night porter every night until midnight. In addition to this, we have a member of staff always on site and on call. There is a reception number, and a mobile number to ring at any time if you have any issues at all and we are always willing to help.

I'm sorry you felt that the cleaners were not doing their job properly - we do usually carry out a 15 minute service on every 3rd day to change the bedding and linen, and carry out a general clean. If you felt this was unsatisfactory, you could have spoken to any team member and asked for a deep clean which we would have been happy to arrange for you.