“Great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 184 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Doncaster
“Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

Had a very lovely weekend away here. Very clean and lovely owners.Will definitely be visiting again soon.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend a sea view room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank frankie L
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Barnsley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

I stayed at the Derwent House Hotel January 2012, and had a fantastic new years break. The owners were lovely and went out of their way to accommodate my needs. I am looking forward to returning next month and would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
12 Thank Angela S
Wakefield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

I have never been treated and spoken to in my life how these people treat there customers it was horrible it spoilt my new years break all I asked for was a heater cos the room was cold got heater 12 hours later along with her drunken husband shouting insults at me in end had to leave was scared of him it's just been a horrible experience I have my own company I would never treat my customers this way I would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank ladytracy
ScarboroughJimmy, Owner at Derwent House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
As the owner of Derwent House i would like to say that I have never been spoken to by a guest in such a disgusting and derogatary manner. When these guests arrived they were obviously heavily under the influence of alcohol but as it was New years eve, having a drink is expected.
Within an hour of the guests arriving I had, had numerous complaints from other residents about the noise from their room. I myself went up and asked them to keep the noise down and this seemed to calm the situation.
The following morning the gentleman from the party came and requested some extra coffee, I obliged and he claimed to myself and another passing guest how rough he was , in his own words "I'm absolutely hammered". The guests came for breakfast and nothing else was said.It was never mentioned that they would like another heater and had it been I would of happily provided them with one.
At 6pm on the second night I had more guests complain about the noise from the room and the strong smell of cigarette smoke. I went to ask the guests to leave the hotel as we a totally NON SMOKING establishment and this contravenes our policies. The gentleman in question told me they were not leaving and started to hurl abuse at myself, warning me that he had been in the "paras" for 3 years to be carefull! I said that i was going to call the police and they started to pack their bags.
They refused to pay the second nights payment and had taken numerous items from our honesy bar with out paying. My partner (who had definately not been drinking) came upstairs to calm the situation but was also subjected to a barrage of abuse from both guests.
Even as these guests left they were shouting appaling profanitys at myself and my parter and our 4 young children. No person should have to be subjected to behaviour like this.
Obviously both guests had been drinking heavily that day and were not coherant enough to understand that their behaviour was totally unacceptable.
We are very sorry that this may have upset other guests stay and apologise to them for any disturbance they may have encountered through no fault of our own.
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

I had just bought a car locally and to save a 12 hour round trip, myself, my wife and best friends decided on a short road trip. It was last minute overnight stay, so we book based on price and I have to say, I was uncertain of what to expect. I couldn’t have been more happy. Very friendly, very clean, great rooms and great Breakfast.

Great idea with the Honesty Bar with nice louge. Only thing if I really tried to knock, would be the "Strength" of the shower. Maybe an upgrade could be installed :-)

But 99%, just how all B & B's Should be, you will not be disappointed. Not that I will be passing for a while, but I would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
27 Thank James C
bradford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel 27.11.11 with my wife last night ,arrived late as expected ,was greeted with a warm welcome ,our room was functional but in need of up dating.
Nothing great to write home about ,bed was uncomfortable ,and electric shower either boiling hot or freezing cold ,breakfast was full English ,but lacked taste, a lot more could be done to improve peoples stay here .

Room Tip: ask for a sea view room on booking
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple