“Don't accept room 117”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Only stayed for one night on Friday 10th august
Reception was good but as stated elsewhere in these reviews you are expected to pay up front for the room
Room 117 was a decent enough room but the window is half cut off by a flat roof and a load of pipes running across it. they are constantly vibrating and making noise and this is all day and night asked to be moved but no other rooms were available
The room is very hot with the only way to cool it down is to leave the window open which then left us to the mercy of the seagulls waking us at 4am
The worst nights sleep ever in any hotel
Had drinks from the bar with good service don't think the prices are anything to complain about
We are going to give it another chance but please be sure you are not booked in room 117

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Thank you for your review. Room 117 as you state doesn’t have the nicest of view which is reflected in the price. I do look forward to you returning to the Crown and would recommend booking a feature room or a penthouse room which I am sure you will be delighted with.

Unfortunately until the mornings become a little darker I can’t guarantee that the seagulls wont disturb you as this is one of the issues of living by the seaside.

Thank you for your comments regarding service and yes I too agree that the bar prices are reasonable.

In will pass on your comments to the staff and look forward to you visiting the Crown in the future.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

My partner & I stayed here for 2 nights to have a much earned break from our children, we decided on the Crown Spa as we don't often get chance to go away just the 2 of us and we wanted a bit of luxury. While the hotel is nice & the room was nice we both felt there was nothing special about it and it definitely lacked the 4 star feel. There was no air con in our room which was a total nightmare, the room was like a sauna even with the windows left open all day...it was so bad I could hardly get ready, my make up was melting as soon as I put it on! The shower, although looked lovely kept going cold. Next time we come to Scarborough we will definitely stay in one of the cheaper hotels, we wished we had booked at The Cresent instead!

• Stayed: August 2012

I am extremely disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your recent stay, we have had some extremely hot weather over the last few weeks and the hotel has been warm. We unfortunately don’t have air conditioning as the cost of installing it into 115 rooms along with the running costs for a few weeks a year are outweighed by the fact we are able to reduce our carbon footprint enabling us to achieve a Gold Green Tourism award.

I am sorry to hear that you won’t be visiting the Crown again but do hope that you enjoy your stay in whichever hotel you choose.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

I spent a four night break here last weekend and thought the hotel, although in a great location, was a 3 star at best masquerading as a 4 star. My room was only cleaned once in four days, if you are in when the cleaner comes, they don't come back like maids in other hotels do, they just forget it. Breakfast is supposedly "cooked to order, please be patient etc etc"..it arrived two minutes after i placed my order and was bland and tasteless. I wanted to have my hair cut in the salon with my daughter but the salon had no record of my appointment when i turned up despite telling me over the phone a few days before that it was all booked in.
I have e mailed the manager, twice, but had no reply yet and it has been five days since I sent them...this just sums up why the hotel is complacent from top to bottom...avoid if you can, its not a four star quality hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel at a fraction of the cost
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank williamYork

May I first of all apologise for not responding to your email it was unfortunately caught in junk mail which we filter through once a week. I have spoken to the spa manager with regards to your complaint and he has explained that he couldn’t find any reference with regards to your hair appointment but did have a reservation for nails. This may have been a mistake on our behalf and for that I am sorry.

I am a little confused with your comment regarding the bedroom not been cleaned by the housekeepers as there is no mention of this in your email or on the management log from during your stay. I do worry that in frustration at not receiving a response things may have been exaggerated.

I do know that guests read both the reviews and comments made by myself and hope that anyone will see from other reviews that we are not complacent at the hotel and do value our customers.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

The hotel is nicely decorated, the food from the bar was lovely and i would probably return on this basis alone. It was the staff, however, that made our stay so special. I wish i'd taken more care to remember everyone's name, but the man behind the bar was lovely, a member of staff went to great lengths to hold the lift for us, and to offer dining suggestions... the girl behind the front desk we dealt with was great.. I didn't meet one member of the team who didn't go above and beyond to be friendly.. they not only seemed dedicated to their jobs, but also very talented at their individual roles, especially Gemma, who gave us our massages... I have stayed at quite a few spas and had lots of massages and treatments, and the people working here are by far some of the best i've ever come across. I hope they continue to take such care in the people they offer jobs to, and continue to enable their employees to work with such cheer and passion.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Thank you for such a positive review I do agree that we have some wonderful staff at the Crown and our one main goal is customer satisfaction. On occasion we unfortunately have customers that will hone in on one small negative and be more interested in recompense rather than resolve.

I do hope that you visit the crown again in the not too distant future and will pass your positive comments on to both the management and staff who will be delighted that we have another satisfied customer.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed at the Crown Spa Hotel for two nights as a short break after our daughter was born 8 weeks ago. I was a little nervous about our first trip away however the staff couldn't have been nicer. Nothing seems too much trouble for them.
We stayed on the 5th floor and the room was great. It was a good size with all the facilities that you need. The beds were very comfortable, bathroom very clean and modern with a tv on the wall (which my husband thought was brilliant, watching the Olympics in the shower) and ample storage for clothes etc. The room was quite warm due to the weather however their was a ceiling fan and a small standing fan that kept the room cool.
The hotel food was very nice. We had the continental breakfast in our room on both mornings which was excellent.
We were given a parking permit on check in to allow us to park in the street around the hotel which we found easy enough. You can pay £6 a night to park in the hotel car park if you wish. There is a good sized area at the front of the hotel where you can stop to unload and load your car.
The hotel provides fantastic views of the bay especially at night. We easily walked down into the town and along the sea front however there is a bit of steep climb on the walk back up.
Overall we had a lovely time and would definitely return to the hotel if going back to Scarborough. A huge thank you to all staff but especially the girls on reception for being so nice and putting our botlte steriliser in the microwave.

Room Tip: Top floor sea view room is a must if you like a view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Congratulations of the birth of your daughter and I am delighted that you enjoyed a deserved break at the Crown stay and do hope that a return visit to Scarborough will bring you back to see us.

I will pass your positive comments on to both the management and staff who will be delighted that we have another satisfied customer.