“DO NOT BOOK THIS PLACE”
Review of Carlton Residence

Carlton Residence
Ranked #177 of 184 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 September 2015

My friend booked this place so that three of us could meet up in Scarborough to watch the motorcycle racing. When he booked via booking.com he was unable to indicate that the three rooms were each for single occupancy so, although he didn't need to, he phoned and checked this was OK and received email confirmation back, direct from the hotel. My friends arrived before I did on Saturday and tried to check in. They were told the actual room numbers allocated to each of us but advised to come back later as the rooms were not yet prepared. When we all arrived later to check in we were told our booking did not exist (even though we have a booking reference from booking.com and an email from the hotel!!). They offered us one room with 3 beds and that was it. And the price was about the same as for the three single occupancy rooms we had originally booked. Looks like they saw an opportunity to capitalise on a busy weekend due to the bike racing and didn't give a stuff about customer service. Scarborough was booked up so reluctantly I had to get the return train home the same day. So, I paid for a wasted train journey, didn't get my night out with my friends and missed the racing. The receptionist who had a basic grasp of English said the double booking situation is not uncommon. Avoid this place like the plague. Only scored it as a 1 as I cannot give it zero. Booking.com should withdraw this place as reading other reviews I see that their brand has been damaged by the same situation with bookings generated via their site.

Room Tip: Don't book. Go somewhere where they care about their customers.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
6  Thank DandE2014
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 September 2015 via mobile

Do not visit this hotel if you have the choice. My husband and I wanted a hotel near to the Scarborough Cricket ground as he cannot walk far. It was dirty the staff not existent and did even consider getting in touch with health and safety. The carpet door plate was a good inch higher than the carpet. Resulting in catching your toes underneath. The room was damp. The toilet made horrendous noises and on and on

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Auntiegaga
Reviewed 4 September 2015 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel after a 3 hour drive to be told we didn't have a room , when I had booked a room on booking.com , as we walked in the hotel it stonk of wee badly , I was told there was a room , so I looked at this room after walking up 7 flights of stairs , to a dump in the loft, wallpaper hanging off the wall and could go on but refused to stay was itching , tried booking some where else for 2 hours but was no where so took me another 3 hours to get home , I wouldn't recommend anyone to say in this hotel

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Gingerdonna
Reviewed 31 August 2015

We stayed just one night thank goodness as we could not shower the bathroom was disgusting. Black mold and water droplets hung from the ceiling and walls, the wall paper had been torn off, the side of the shower cubicle was propped against the frame not fixed it was unbelievable, the damp dank smell was unbearable, which probably explained the reason why a candle had been burning in the room, prior to our arrival. This hotel should come with a health warning!

Room Tip: Stay clear of Room 17
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Rob T
Reviewed 31 August 2015

absolutely awful ..4 of us went for 1 night for my birthday..£70 per room ..total waste of money ..rooms not fit to sleep in ..the bathroom wall n ceiling wer abs blk with mould n dripping with water the smell was overpowering ..mould ...shower n cubicle wer broken..no customer service ..we couldnt get out fast enough in the morning ...we got to the so called desk which is manned by a non english speaking lady ..she never said good morning or anything .....we just gave her the keys .....we feel totally ripped off ..it was my birthday treat ..29th of august ...to save spoiling my birthday we didnt make any commplaints ....but we spoke to other guests in the car park n they said the same ....they would never go back there again .....this hotel needs shutting down asap .......pls dont go there u will be disapointed ........

Room Tip: there are no good rooms here
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple