“Great B&B”

and 1 more site!
The Lysander
Ranked #56 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 June 2017

We needed a hotel at very late notice and found this one on Expedia. We wouldn’t normally stop in a B&B but we were impressed with the comments by other people on this hotel. If you book this hotel you will get a better rate booking with the hotel directly.

We arrived around 6 pm and had a very warm welcome. We had booked a Superior room which was on the top floor. The room was spacious and had plenty of amenities to keep us happy – 2 small bottles of wine, cakes and biscuits and real milk in the mini fridge. Very comfy bed and free view on the television.

Breakfast was not included in out rate but was only cost £14 for both of us. The breakfast selection was very good and the Full English was very tasty, however I think the sausage should be changed as I found the skin tough to cut through and lacked flavour (for me).

The only let down was the water pressure in the shower, we weren’t sure if this was we were on the top floor or if a lot of people were having showers at the same time.

The main question is “Would we stop here again?” - we would stop here again if we found ourselves needing somewhere to stop in Scarborough.

Room Tip: Go for a Superior Room if you can
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

Stayed here on our anniversay, and really glad we did.

The property is immaculate, the staff friendly and will go out of their way to help. This was my first visit to Scarborough since I was young & not really sure what to expect but I needn't have worried. From booking our rooms to leaving I can't fault anything.

The room we were in was spotless and the bed comfortable. We didn't plan to stay indoors all weekend, so that's all we'd want anyway.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. During our stay, I booked for later in the year, this time with family.

I can't recommend The Lysander highly enough. A big thank you to all the staff for making our stay so wonderful.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Lysander for a night ...wow! Excellent quality towels, bed linen, breakfast was amazing, superb choice and served by Julie, the owner, who was so helpful and friendly.....highly recommended!! L

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

Made a last minute decision to stay a night in Scarborough, booked here as good reviews and reasonable price.
Rooms very clean, everything you need - small but not too small, still plenty of storage and space for the case etc. Tea/coffee making facilities well stocked (with biscuits!).
Breakfast was a £7 per person add on, which is reasonable given the room price.
Good choice at breakfast - including something lighter - full English was a good size, not too big like some! Quality food used and attentive hosts.
Overall a good stay, if we have another weekend in Scarborough we'll be back!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2016

Somewhat belated but no less sincere review of three night stay during the summer.

Wasn't easy tracking down availability during a peak time, so especially pleased to come across the Lysander. I was accommodated in a spacious, well equipped bedroom at the front of the property, with a pleasant view as far as the castle. (Apart from the last morning when mist intervened!) The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had everything I needed. Tea and coffee making facilities are of course provided. The room was well maintained and, like the public areas, spotlessly clean. Only limited noise from the road in front, disturbed just once by a rogue motor cyclist in the early hours, and generally had a good night's sleep.

Breakfast, served in a bright, nicely decorated breakfast room, was excellent, all prepared to order, and options include smoked salmon and scambled eggs if you fancy a change to the traditional fry up. The service provided by a very pleasant lady helped to get the mornings off to a good start.

Evening meals are not served, but the owners can recommend some good local restaurants, some of which offer Lysander customers a discount.

I travelled by train, the Lysander is some way from the station so I took a bus for part of the way, I'd suggest a taxi unless like me, you have a limited amount of luggage. For drivers there appears to be a reasonable amount of parking space, and you might be able to grab a slot on the road outside but that depends on availability.

On a hill set back from the sea, it is located in one of the most pleasant areas of Scarborough (sadly some other parts of the town are looking a bit run down) and the neighbourhood is very safe. Both the North Bay front and Peasholme Park are close by. It was also ideal for the main purpose of our stay which was to attend the Yorks v Notts cricket match. The ground is a pleasant 15 minute walk via the Park from the Lysander.

This is one of the best guest house/B & Bs that I've stayed in. It is efficiently run by its owners, who are excellent hosts and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: I suspect the quietest rooms are at the rear, but I did not experience any major issues with noise f...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends