All reviewsfantastic hotelmy muma lovely stayretreatkathbreak
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I recently stayed at the Fountains Court Hotel. I found it small rather in the style of a Bed and Breakfast. The bedroom was not particularly inviting being rather cluttered and the shower room and tiny hand basin positively awful it was so small.

The food was basic vegetarian and the breakfast portions, which did not include vegetarian sausages or bacon were on the skinny side.

I found the dining room depressing as there was no view from the window. I did not get a holiday feel about this hotel.

The Zen garden was poor and not as I had imagined from the reviews. I think it's hardly worth a mention. It is accessed via steep steps, quite tiny and in need of sprucing up. As a base for treatments, which of course are at extra cost, for convenience this "hotel" may suit some people, but if you are a vegetarian/vegan looking for such dietary requirements, for the money you could do better elsewhere. I certainly would not stay here again!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
15  Thank MCW86
Reviewed 2 October 2011

The hot-tub and sauna were a relaxing bonus after a days walking.
Reception was friendly and engaging every time.
Breakfast was home-made, interesting and fresh.
Evening meals were imaginative, tasty and my own wine was chilled.
The room was scrupulously clean, quiet and relaxing.
I only had 1 therapy session - but it was excellent - Helen knows her stuff.

Room Tip: garden rooms will have less morning traffic noise.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephen C
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I stayed at Fountains Court for five nights with my mother and overall we were both disappointed wth this hotel. The staff are very friendly. However, the bedroom was very cramped, three single beds in one room accompanied by an extremely small en suite shower room, so small there was only a a hand basin and one direction in the room you could stretch both arms outwards! We didn't get the impression we were staying in a hotel room, it certainly felt more like a guest house. On a positive note the bedding was nice, clean, and the room was serviced to a good standard, As regarding the zen garden, this is accessed via steep steps. It looked rather tired, perhaps due to the time of year. Regardless, it didn't appear anything special and it is a small area. The food was tasty but on the whole very basic, No tofu, quorn, soya. A variation of a pasta meal was served twice within the five night period. Undoubtedly the best meal was the homemade vegetable korma and the two home made soups. All other meals were very basic and not what you would expect from a chef creating his/her idea or demonstating much expertise in the kitchen. Meals were simple, much as you would prepare at home. If you are looking for a traditional cooked breakfast you would be disappointed at this hotel. There are no vegetarian sausages or bacon! Following a basic selection of cereals/yogurt/ fruit you can order a choice of egg, beans, mushroom, fresh tomato. These options are served on one slice of toast. Portions are so small , when not on the toast they look lost on the plate. I really can"t understand why a mainly vegetarian hotel omits vegetarian sausages. These are commonly available at meat eating hotels and seemingly you are getting much less at this hotel! Unfortunately apart from the friendly and polite staff, there is nothing positive I can say about this hotel, It might be alright if you are looking for holistic treatments but for a vegetarian looking for a holiday base you would be better to research other hotels.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Aries0
Reviewed 25 September 2011

My family and I stayed here for my 60th birthday, Helen and the staff made us so welcome. The rooms were comfortable, the food excellent and you can bring your own wine too. The treatments were very affordable and extremely relaxing. It was lovely to have a bit of pampering for a change. I was a bit unsure of staying in a holistic hotel for my birthday but everything was great and we all look forward to returning in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ted715
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of a 200-mile coast-to-coast bike ride, for some pampering at the end of the tour. We could not have chosen better. Helen was so friendly and welcoming, both on the phone and in person. She clearly works incredibly hard but is unfailingly friendly and warm. Our room was quiet, beautifully decorated in calm, tranquil colours and the bedding was luxuriously soft. We instantly felt at home, making full use of the sauna, outdoor hot tub and studio - and the free fruit bowl! The whole ambience was one of serenity, and the treatments were sensational - especially Helen's full body Swedish massage, and Hadim's African massage. The weather was rainy most of the time we were there, or we would have made more use of the zen garden which has been expertly and imaginatively created. Breakfasts were delicious, and there were plenty of areas to sit and relax, with no feeling whatsoever that you had to get out of there during the day. Really excellent value in terms of both accommodation and treatments. We just feel lucky to have found Fountains Court, and hope to return.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple