“Good Saturday night”

The Five Bells at Cople
Ranked #45 of 453 Restaurants in Bedford
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 26
Cuisines: Bar
Description: The Five Bells is a beautiful 400-year-old pub in the village of Cople. Traditional English and Spanish food is served. Open fire, patio area and garden
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We booked at the last minute and were fitted in, even with the dog who was provided with treats. We had an excellent soup to start and then rib eye steak which was a bit thinly cut but very nicely cooked. There was live music from 9.00 pm and generally a good atmosphere with friendly and efficient staff.

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

I booked a table at the five bells as I have friends in Cople who have been raving about how good the five bells are after it has been recently taken over.

The original pub had a pool table at the back and the new landlords have cleared this out and put a separate dining area. This was good as before you would be eating your dinner as some bloke drinking a pint was staring at you.

The owners are Spanish and very friendly but English is poor so make sure you speak clearly - I asked for a Barcadi and coke and nearly ended up with a pint of lemonade.

Anyway after showing us to our table it was looking good, but took ages to get served drinks. After about 15 minutes we were brought plates of meat. We’d been asked if we want Turkey Beef or Pork. This is where things went down hill. One of my guests ordered pork, there was a bit of crackling which I pinched which was gorgeous. Another of my friends had Turkey - looked lovely. Myself and my other friend had beef - it was wafer thin and looked like something you would have from a preformed factory made joint. We cut into it and we couldn’t even cut it, let alone chew it. It was awful.

We then went up to get vegetables- the serving area was just short of any space with pots precariously balanced. The roast potatoes were hard and not very nice, clearly they’d been out a while.

When we sat back down my friend just cracked and started kicking off and you couldn’t blame them. To be fair the hostess offered replacement meat but the comment “I’ve never had complaints before” was a bit lame.

The Australian red wine served was lovely (but not cheap) and was the only glint on the horizon.

Considering we got there at 130, one of the deserts we requested had already sold out (?!)

One of my friends went up to get more veg and apparently they brought out new hot and properly cooked stuff. Shame it wasn’t 20 mins ago...

I asked for a Irish coffee and said to my friend the only thing they could do now as a last nail in the coffin would be to put squirty cream on top. Guess what? (Hand motion nail into coffin...)

Anyway clearly the landlady saw we weren’t going to be fobbed off so she gave us all the deserts for free (possibly hoping I wouldn’t go onto trip advisor! Especially as there is apparently a trip advisor sign outside the pub now!)

I’m sure if they brush up their game this could be a really nice restaurant but if you do go there avoid the beef and the Irish coffee !!

1  Thank Justin S
Reviewed 7 December 2017

We went here with a group of around 15 for a Christmas meal and it was absolutely lovely!
I will definitely go again.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

We have been here before with some friends and had the tapas. This time we were here with other friends who had not been to the Five Bells. They and us, inluding our teenage daughters, all loved it. It has a lovely atmosphere and even had a nice warm welcome from the locals as we walked in and even got chstying to snothrr couple in the restaurant, before our friends arrived, which is testament to the feel of the pub. Both of us men went for the chorizo scoth egg starter, which was delicious and light. The ladies both had the goats cheese and salad, which was equally as good as ours. Our dwughters had the haloumi fries, which were also lovely and perfectly cooked! My wife and I shared a paella which we both agreed was the best we had ever tasted, even better than any we had when we have been to Spain. All our meals were fabulous and we had such a lovely relaxed evening. Our young hosts were a delight. We are very much lookimg forwsrd to our hext visit! Thank you all at the Five Bells.

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

First time we have eaten here and today we ordered a selection of tapas and wow it was excellent.
Good selection on the menu and the wine choice was good too.
We probably ordered one dish too many but it all sounded so nice...it was authentic and delicious .

Will definitely return and try more!