“Bland!”

The WineGlass Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The WineGlass Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 462 Restaurants in Bedford
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Was given a £50 meal voucher for this restaurant, so thought we should visit before it expired. Chose a Friday lunchtime. Nicely kept garden at the front of the hotel, and beautiful old buildings form the hotel rooms by the looks of it. Arrived promptly at 12:30, and greeted by inexperienced but friendly waitress. We were the only people in the restaurant, so seated by the windows overlooking the River Ouse, which was good. The restaurant is clearly part of a wedding venue, and must be excellent for functions, but without other patrons, it was soulless and flat. Ordered from the lunch menu. A shared sea platter was nicely arranged on a wooden platter for a starter: large prawn each and a few shreds of smoked salmon acceptable, Thai crab cake some distance from Thailand, definitely closer to Iceland (not the country!) as were the goujons, and breaded prawns. A pot of warm samphire a rather odd accompaniment to this frozen food selection, but nice to have something fresh on the plate. Mains of fish and chips and chicken/chorizo on a skewer. Fish the standard version eaten daily at half the price at pubs all over the country, but acceptable with thick freezer chips, a smear of peas and pot of tartar. The kebab spectacular on arrival, but truthfully overcooked and tasteless, with a limp red cabbage slaw also tasteless, thin chips straight from the freezer, and some undressed salad from a bag. Two glasses of average Pinot Grigio and a bottle of sparkling mineral water. £60 before service charge is very poor value for 3 plates of processed food, and will not return..

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Having seen a review of the Sunday lunch in a local magazine some time ago, I thought it was about time to try it, so I booked for my Husbands birthday. We arrived and were promptly seated and our drinks order was quickly taken. The Sunday lunch is 3 courses for £24.50pp with buffet starters and desserts and table service for the main course. We were impressed with the starters available, although we did have a short wait for bread as the baskets were empty. Unfortunately, the main course was a complete letdown. We opted for a beef sharing board for 2 and whilst there was sufficient food, and the vegetables were tasty, 2 of the most important parts of a Sunday roast were probably the worst I have been served in a restaurant. The Yorkshire puddings were cold and had an unpleasant flavour, and the roast potatoes were a horrible texture and not crisp or flavoursome. I suspect the potatoes had been cooked previously and then reheated. The beef was fine but very thinly sliced. As for the dessert, this was uninspiring and there was nothing to help redeem the main. We could have had a much better Sunday roast at pretty much any pub. The atmosphere and service was good but I wouldn't return with such a poor food offering.

1  Thank zoefox565B
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Over the last ten years or so, I have attended various functions here and found the food to be ok but not particularly outstanding. I believe too that the ownership has changed several times. However visiting there for dinner, I was pleasantly surprised to find my meal very good, this feeling also being expressed by my fellow diners. The service was satisfactory despite my earlier worries about the possible level of service when I arrived and discovered a wedding reception being held at the hotel. So, in conclusion, must acknowledge the fact that certainly food-wise, the restaurant has upped its game.

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

Ridiculous wait, appalling service and food very mediocre.

Our table was booked for 19.45. It took us 20mins to even get a menu and have a drinks order taken and things only went downhill from there. It was eventually 22.45 before we'd finished being served, by which time the restaurant was empty and we were tired and frustrated.

The menu was extremely limited and there were still items that were unavailable. The food was edible but was uninspiring and represented nothing I couldn't have personally put on a plate. My pigeon salad wasn't at all as advertised (no pine nuts no coulis), the best I can say of my £24 steak was that it was edible, and my cheesecake (by the duty manager's own admission) was mass produced rather than prepared on the premises.

The one saving grace was the Rioja, but I could have picked that up for quarter of the price from Tescos.

Unsurprisingly we won't be returning.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

We had a superb dinner at this restaurant recently (four adults and a 12yr old ) From start to finish we were looked after really well. The food was extremely well cooked and presented (especially my husband's starter of Arbroath Smokies which we all sampled as it looked and smelt so good ! ) Between us we had dishes containing steak/chicken/fish/beef and enjoyed everything.
The service was great. Alec, Hubert and his team were very friendly and professional ensuring that we had a relaxing time. All in all we had a very good evening and couldn't find fault with anything.