“Beautifully presented afternoon tea.”
Review of New Hall Hotel Spa

New Hall Hotel Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Please use B76 1PH for directions to the hotel. The spa at New Hall Hotel & Spa, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, is designed to create the perfect space for wellbeing and relaxation. You can create and customise the ultimate spa break or spa day in Birmingham by combining treatments and other treats. Our guests can also take full advantage of all the hotel facilities while enjoying their spa day or break
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

We were treated to an afternoon tea at this local hotel. Its definately a place where ladies meet up to chat being either locals guests or just recovering from a session at the adjoining health club. The afternoon tea is as you would expect. Raised cake stands, a selection of sandwiches all nicely trimmed and plenty of cakes that are just a mouthful. On a downside the room was small and our table was by the door and we didn't enjoy staff continually wafting past our ears with trays and while the food was very nice the tea itself was tepid and weak. We made rhe staff aware of this and the first pot was replaced but we found it was replaced by an equally weak brew. May be we don't have a refined enough taste. I think that overall it might be better suited as a treat for an ageing aunt and could be conceived as a treat for snobs.

Date of experience: April 2018
All reviews
"neck and shoulder massage"
"spa team"
in 2 reviews
"health and safety reasons"
"relaxing spa day"
"scrub"
"breakfast"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

After booking this treat for our friend we were all so disappointed. I have visited and stayed at New Hall a few times and felt sure this would be a lovely treat.
After booking and having to confirm details in advance the group arrived at the hotel. We were sadly put in a conference room complete with TV and a pile of chairs. Part of the experience is to visit this beautiful hotel and enjoy the view or at least the rooms. If I had been aware we would be allocated a room used for meetings I would not have booked. For this we were also made to pay an extra £5pp. The staff were under pressure and the duty manager did move our room after I searched for a better room. He also committed the very worse error in customer service, saying I did not book this so there is nothing I can do. Great. He then left us to it. I did not see him again until I had to ask for tea as over 1 hour into our visit we had only been served coffee. He walked into the kitchen and never returned. No apology, no return or follow up. I asked another gentleman waiter for some tea 10 mins later. He replied you gave us 1 minute to move your room!!! I walked away. Eventually I walked into the main hotel where a young girl was clearly glasses and asked as now we were all desperate for some tea!!!
The staff left us with one waitress Sian. She rose to the occasion and we were grateful for her tremendous hardwork. No other staff helped so this did mean our food was late, not enough plates,my friend ate from a saucer!!! One of the group had to leave as she could no longer wait. Just awful.
Food was satisfactory. Nothing particularly special. Really, really disappointed. Having been for such a lovely afternoon tea before and bridesmaid at a wedding here this wasn't the New Hall I remembered.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank Jelleybaby2015
Reviewed 28 March 2018

On Monday 26th March 2018, I took my friend Jackie out for a ‘Spa Day’ as her Birthday Gift from my husband and Myself. It was Jackie’s actual Birthday today and she was 60 years young. We went to the ‘New Hall Hotel & Spa’ in Sutton Coldfield here in Birmingham.

We arrived at 9.00 am and were greeted by the Spa Receptionist Natasha who showed us to the spa and explained the details of our day to us. Natasha also gave us the lunch menu so we could select our food for our lunch, and she gave us complementary bath robes, and lovely soft white fluffy towels for us to use throughout our day at the spa.

The New Hall Hotels Spa Facilities included an indoor pool, Hydrotherapy Spa bath, Sauna, Steam Room, Experience Shower, poolside loungers, Treatment rooms, Fitness Studio and Nail Studio.

Jackie and I went into the well appointed changing rooms with lockers to keep our clothes and toiletries in and changed into our swimming gear. We came out into the indoor heated swimming pool area; the decor was light and spacious with soft mellow lighting and a lovely large pool with steps leading down into the warm water.

We were having facials and Jackie’s treatment was at 10.00 am and my treatment was at 10.30 am. Becky the therapist came for me for my ‘Comfort Zone’ Skin Solutions Facial treatment, she took me to a soft low lighted room with soft peaceful music and the scents of the oils in the air were wonderful.

Becky, the therapist gave me the most wonderful facial, which meant my skin was exfoliated, cleaned, face masked, toned and moisturised with warm oil and included the use of warm scrub mitts on my face – this was a nice experience.

Afterwards, we decided to relax on the sun loungers around the pool soaking up the lovely sunshine. The poolside gardens were lovely and overlooked a moated bridge and lily pond; it was such a relaxing place to be. We then went swimming in the pool and I managed to do 15 lengths before my muscles decided enough was enough, not bad for not having been in a swimming pool for over four months.

Jackie and I then headed for the bubbling Jacuzzi Spa pool, to ease our tired muscles. The pool was really hot and very relaxing and the bubbles bashed all the remaining tension out of our tired muscles. We had the whole spa pool to ourselves which was lovely. We wallowed in here for thirty minutes. I then went for a sauna and then we both had a quick shower before we went to lunch.

Twelve Thirty, Jackie and I went to lunch, which was included in our spa day. We walked over to ‘The Bridge Restaurant’ situated in the medieval part of the hotel. The restaurant was lovely with beautiful stained glass windows and wonderful original fireplace and was decorated in a rich imperial purple. The tables were laid in fine white cloths with crisp napkins, shiny silver tableware and had fresh flowers on all tables. The décor of the restaurant was very elegant.

We were served by Jessica to a wonderful two course lunch. We sipped latte coffees with our meal, the food was excellent. Jackie for her main course had haddock with mussels served with samphire and saffron potatoes, which she said, was delicious. I had a small Poisson chicken served with fondant potato, bacon, mushrooms and leeks and served with a lovely jus for my main course and it was delicious.

Jackie and I for our dessert had the warm almond and coffee tart served with crème fraiche, it was a lovely light dessert and the perfect finish to our meal. We both then had a liquored coffee; Jackie had an Irish coffee and I had one with Contreau, we sipped these away and talked and chatted for a while and rested before we went back to the spa.

After lunch Jackie and I went for a swim again in the lovely indoor pool. Jackie did leisurely swimming and played in the pool like a big kid, but I managed to do another 5 lengths. Jackie and I then again then headed for the bubbling Jacuzzi Spa pool, to ease our tired muscles. The pool was really hot and very relaxing and the bubbles bashed all the remaining tension out of our tired muscles. We wallowed in here for fifteen minutes. I then went for a sauna and then we both had a quick shower before we were called in for our second treatment a back, neck and shoulder massage by our Spa Therapists at 4.30 pm.

Becky, my therapist came for me for my Back, Neck and Shoulder Massage, again she took me to a soft low lighted room with soft peaceful music and the scents of the oils in the air were wonderful.

Becky chose the ‘Comfort Zone’ sweet orange and cedarwood oil for my back, neck and shoulder massage. Becky did me a wonderfully relaxing massage and eased all the tension out of my shoulders. The massage was lovely although I did have one or two tight spots in my shoulder and lower back muscles, which Becky worked on until they eased.

We completed our day with coffee and biscuits in the lovely Terrace Bar, where we sat on a lovely comfortable sofa and enjoyed our end of day refreshments. At the end of our time Jackie and I felt truly pampered and very well cared for and very spoilt and very much new women.

Special Thanks to Natasha, Becky and Stephanie and to the Spa Team for making our day so special. Thanks too to Jessica for her lovely professional service in the restaurant.

4  Thank Carol B
Reviewed 14 November 2017

My friend won a spa day for 2 - thanks New Hall. Had a lovely day, in particular all the staff were lovely. Paige was very professional in the dining room, Eisha did my treatments and was lovely, my friend said that Becky from the Spa was lovely too, and Joe from maintenance drove my friend & myself (& my wheelchair) up from the spa to the hotel twice and was very friendly and approachable. Thanks for a great day, please pass our thanks on to the staff.

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

I went with my sister and Mum for a spa day, masssage and afternoon tea.
The place itself is absolutely beautiful, stunning building and grounds. The spa is small, a small hotel pool with a sauna, steam room & jacuzzi. It wasn’t overly busy so didn’t really matter it was small. The staff were extremely kind and friendly, I dealt with Natasha mostly as we had to cancel and rearrange a couple of times - very professional, friendly and welcoming. I had a full body massage with Elesha who was AMAZING! Fully recommend.
The facilities were clean and in ok condition, lockers available with a key pad lock system - took us ages to figure them out though. Tea, coffee and water is available free of charge during your time in the spa.

We then went over to the hotel part (you have to go back outside) for our afternoon tea!!! WOW. I was super impressed with the afternoon tea - again extremely friendly staff and very attentive. We had Champagne afternoon tea, and they offer a traditional and savoury one, both so delicious. Lots of choice of teas and coffee and soft drinks included.

Overall I highly recommend a visit for the afternoon tea.
The spa is nice, I like the bigger spas personally as they often include more pools and relaxation rooms. But saying that I would definitely go to New Hall again.