1,385 results
All reviews bridge restaurant handpicked hotels hand picked hotels great chamber afternoon tea beautiful hotel cream tea beautiful grounds historic building wonderful weekend the main house lots of character evening meal lounge area fine dining sandwiches poached eggs
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We visited for a lunchtime birthday celebration. The dining room was most inviting.We chose sandwiches from the menu which were very well presented and delicious and complimented by a glass of fine champagne. We finished with coffee.The waiting staff were very attentive and provided an excellent service. It was a lovely afternoon spent with good friends,lovely food in delightful surrounds. Would definitely recommend this establishment for a great dining experience.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Jonathan S, General Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit for lunch. Thank you for all your kind words about the staff and the food; I know they will be delighted.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Went to New Hall for the spa and afternoon tea package. While the afternoon tea was very nice, the spa was pretty poor and the overall service not great. I paid extra for the 25 minute back massage at 1:15, it was 1:25 before I was actually called in and I was back in the changing room by 1:40 so I think my actual massage time was only 10 minutes max. I’ve also had a very stiff and painful neck since. While my friend received nearer the 25 minutes massage, she had to endure a pushy sales pitch about expensive oils. The spa area is very small so if there are more than half a dozen guests expect to have to wait to use the sauna and steam room and certainly don’t expect a lounger to sit on (there are only 4). It was also rather unfortunate that ladies had to use the men’s changing rooms which included the delight of really smelly urinals and only one toilet. We generally found the staff lazy and unhelpful. Directions from the spa to the afternoon tea room were pretty brief and when we got there, there were no staff. After waiting almost 10 minutes a member of staff walked past and just said that someone will probably be along in a minute! I can not fault the food at the afternoon tea - it was delicious. But we only had one small pot of tea between 3 of us. The offer of a refill might have been nice but again, pretty poor service. I visit a lot of spas but will definitely not be returning to this one.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to our spa. If you can please contact me direct on jsquire@handpicked.co.uk, we would like to investigate this further with you.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

We attended a wedding and as guests we wouldn't comment on the very strange cylindrical beef dish that was served to us or the missing horseradish in the mashed potatoes. There were no printed menus available.
The following morning at the self-help breakfast we were some of the first to arrive. The plates, the hash browns, mushrooms and bacon were all stone cold, the sausages, black pudding and scrambled egg were at best tepid, I never had any baked beans or tomatoes. Having selected my meal, I went to get some toast; by the time it was ready my meal was totally cold.
Surely it is not beyond the bounds of human endeavour to light the gas under these arcane silverware water baths some minutes earlier and also for the prices being charged they should be able to afford a decent toaster.
We had no issues with the staff who served us.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms with the view of the garden wall are less expensive?
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ivan C
Jonathan S, General Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your comments and please accept my apologies.I will review all your comments with the team here and where changes or re training is required this will be done. Thank you for your kind words about the team.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

This hotel is a great venue for a conference. We attended an event located in a marquee within the grounds with all necessary facilities, including a bar andtoilets inside. The grounds are superb, the hotel has loads of character and the marquee was superb.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Jonathan S, General Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your conference with us and thank you for all your kind words.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

My friend and I booked a spa day here on a Monday we had off. We had a deal for a back massage and afternoon tea for about £73. But we ended up getting more than we bargained for... as the hotel were having their drive re-paved, we were told if we got there before 9am and left after 5pm, we could have breakfast for free and 50% off any other spa treatments (so we got a shellac manicure/pedicure each for around £20). Our first impressions of the hotel were of just how stunning it was - a beautiful listed building with a moat round it and gorgeous grounds. Then the breakfast was massive with loads of options - I had eggs royale and my friend had a veggie english breakfast, but we also helped ourselves to pastries, cereals, fruit salad and more. The spa was in a small outbuilding but also very nice - we pretty much had the pool, jacuzzi, steamroom and sauna to ourselves for most of the day. The lady who did our treatments was also really friendly (along with the guy on the spa reception) and she was very chatty when we were having our nails done (and my shellac ones lasted a month!). I've only had a few massages, but this is the best one I've had so far - I was almost asleep by the end - and she did my legs and arms as well as my back and shoulders. The only downside to the day was there was a bit of confusion over the tea - there'd been some mix up between the spa and the restaurant, partly due to the driveway work I think, so we got a prosecco cream tea (excellent scones and fizz) rather than an afternoon tea as no cakes had been baked fresh that day. We were super hungry as by now it was 4pm ish and we'd last eaten at 9, so we ended up paying a bit extra to order some massive sandwiches off the bar menu! Ultimately, a lovely day, and I would recommend this place to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your spa day and thank you for your understanding during our driveway repairs.Thank you for all your kind words about your treatments , I have passed on your comments to the spa team and I am sure they will be delighted.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.