“Riding High At Bashford Lodge”
Review of Quantock Trekking

Quantock Trekking
Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Taunton
Reviewed 8 March 2018

Stayed with a group of six adults in Bashford Lodge, a first-class three bedroom, three bathroom venue - adjacent to the riding stables - with stunning views and sunsets across the Quantocks and beyond.
Gill and Dave were fabulous hosts with plenty of recommendations of places to visit and had cleared the recent significant snowfall only the morning of our - delayed by the weather - arrival. All mod-cons, really comfy beds, nice log burner and most of all that vista via the bi-fold doors, out on to the balcony.
We didn't ride but the ladies loved watching and 'talking to ' the horses and even if your interest in all things equestrian doesn't stretch past checking out the odds on the Grand National, this is a marvellous venue for visiting the stunning surrounding areas, with the added benefit of a great local pub - Rising Sun - within a few steps.
Recommended.

"an experienced rider"
"country lanes"
"fantastic birthday"

Reviewed 5 March 2018

This was our second stay at the fantastic Bashford lodge for my 13year old goddaughter Jessica to fulfil her dream of a 3 day riding holiday.
The hacks were amazing and we were made to feel so welcome.
It is highly recommended for any horses lovers and not to be missed!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 22 February 2018

My husband discovered that I had wanted to learn to ride since I was a child. He rang up Gill and explained. Between them, they organised the perfect treat: two hours of initial training and then, next day (if all went well) two hours of trecking.
It did go well. TJ was very well-behaved and Gill very quickly taught me to walk and to trot. The whole rising trot thing was easier than it looks, and I finished teh morning buzzing with delight.
The next day we trecked along country lanes and through woodland, just like I'd always imagined... Bonnie did exactly as I asked her, and then, when my friendly and competent instructor asked if I wanted to try a canter, I leapt at the chance. It was utterly wonderful!

The horses are responsive and patient and gentle; the instructors are encouraging and challenging without being overbearing. The hills are beautiful. It was a perfect experience.

Thank you, Quantock, for fulfilling this dream. I will definitely be riding again, as often as I can.

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank Carol H
Reviewed 21 January 2018

My daughter and I are experienced but fairly "rusty" riders, not having ridden during the past few years. The staff at Quantock Trekking went to great lengths to give us the most suitable (lovely) horses and we had a wonderful personalised two-hour trek amongst stunning scenery. Our guide, Claire, watched carefully to see how we coped and we had an fantastic, exhilarating ride which really restored our confidence. We will definitely be returning! Many thanks to everyone.

Date of experience: January 2018