All reviewsbay roomspiral staircasehotel dogsmaple cottagehatch beauchampduck eggcosy barquiet villagefresh milkrear gardenblack puddinglog firecontinental breakfasthome grownsmall hotelupgraded roomthis lovely hotel
Reviewed 3 December 2017

I chose the Farthings to take my friend as a treat, as the last time I ate their it was Faultless. Unfortunately that was not the case last night. Firstly I have to stay that the barman who also seemed to double up as a waiter was excellent, attentive and helpful. However the food was disappointing. I ordered scallops as a starter and thought that 2 scallops was a bit measly, a little bland and would of been better with maybe some sort of puree. The moment we had finished our starter they were whisked away and immediately replaced with the main course. By this point we were the only 2 people in the restaurant and we got the distinct feeling that the staff wanted to go home. My friends pork dish was lovely but a little sparse with the vegetables. Unfortunately my green beans were totally raw , these were taken back to the kitchen and returned still rock hard. I like my veg Al Dente but not raw. When the waitress came to clear the plates i mentioned about the beans and my concerns that the chicken I left, was a little pink, she was very dismissive, however she did begrudgingly apologise, but stated that the chef had since gone home. One dessert menu was left in a manner, that indicated that she wanted to go home as well. From this point on the barman continued the service, and he was first class. We decided against a dessert as the chef had gone home and after relaying this to the waiter he seemed surprised that we had been told this. I must reiterate the excellent service from the barman, however our experience was marred by the mediocre food and dismissive attitude by the waitress, who perhaps is lacking in customer care skills.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank babychops
FarthingsHotel, Manager at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Dear babychops,

Many thanks for your review and the comments you made on the night which were passed on and have been taken on board. I’d like to firstly apologies that you feel we fell short this time round and thank you for your kind words towards the waiter who served you. He’ll be pleased to hear he came across as you described.

Having read your review and after talking to staff on duty that evening I feel your review is fair in some areas and not so in others.

The two great big fat king scallops are simple yes but some of the best things are, we let the flavour of the scallops with the crisp Parma ham do the talking and wouldn’t want this to be interrupted by a sauce or puree that may overpower it, this is the way chef intended it to be and has been received very well by our guests.

The little pinkness in the piece of chicken you left was simply a small piece connecting to the humerus bone of the supreme which you do sometimes get, the breast itself would have been completely cooked through which we can be sure of as chef slices the breast for presentation reasons.

We did look at the French beans and I spoke to the waiter who tasted the ones you sent back, if I’m honest we found them to be slightly stringy definitely not raw or rock hard and I’m sure the people reading this review will know they were cooked. Chef agrees with our observations and thinks they have come to the end of the season so has removed them from our menu. Many thanks for drawing this to our attention.

I think there was some confusion between you and the waitress on duty, by the time it came to desserts it was around quarter to ten, she was right in saying the chef had gone home because he had. However he doesn’t do desserts the assistant chef does and he was in the kitchen still in case you wanted anything. In her defence she is new with us and is coming on well but still getting to grips with the role as we all do at the start but has a good attitude towards work and her guests. All I can say is you got the wrong impression of her.

Regards,

Daniel

Reviewed 28 November 2017

My wife and I met our friends at this hotel for an evening re-union.

Adequate parking was supplied, right outside the door.

Our room was very nice (great bathroom), with extremely comfortable big bed.

The bar was comfortable for pre-dinner drinks (fantastic log fire) and the staff excellent (friendly and efficient). Our pre-booked table in the dining room was waiting for us, where we were served an excellent meal & drinks.

Drinks in the bar and with dinner were very reasonably priced.

Breakfast was excellent (we chose the continental option) and it was great to sit in the window and watch the peacocks in the garden.

A great old world hotel - what is there not to like?

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

A charming old hotel which makes a lovely change from the sterile modern chain hotels! Our room was very quiet and very clean. The bed was so comfortable, one of the best I've slept in. The shower pressure wasn't great and the toilet seat wobbled a bit but it didn't put us off. Would stay here again!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2017

Lovely twin room with quality bed linen and towels and very clean. We booked an inclusive deal with dinner. Our order for 2 rib eye steak arrived but had been battered thinly and looked more like a very th8n frying steak. We sent it back and ordered lamb which was equally disappointing and looked like it had been souveed. No one came to ask how we enjoyed our food nor did they bother to offer us the dessert menu. I felt like a. nuisance not a guest. Will not be returning here.

Stayed: November 2017
2  Thank Doreen M
FarthingsHotel, Manager at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Dear Doreen M,

I’d like to explain what your actual problem with the steak was because I feel your review is very misleading and unfair. When your steak came to the table you refused to believe it was a rib eye steak. You said you knew your meats and thought the steak you had in front of you was not a rib eye. You then decided to make a scene at the table to the extent you even said you would speak to our supplier. Just to clarify you clearly don’t know your meats and to clarify without a doubt the steak you were served was a rib eye. You are more than welcome to speak to our supplier who will confirm this.

You weren’t polite enough to try even our food and I’m sure if you had you would have enjoyed it. Instead you continued to tell the waiter the steaks had been battered. I can assure you we would never dream of battering a rib eye steak. What chef in their right mind would do that? Regardless of this and the fact there was nothing wrong with your meals the waiter kindly offered to take the untouched steaks back to the kitchen and show you the menu to make a second choice.

It was clear from that point on you were looking for fault and anything we served wouldn’t have been good enough for your high standards and yes from that point on you were being a nuisance.

Your second choice was the lamb. You say you think it had been souveed, At this point I think someone’s been watching too many cookery programs. The lamb dish we served to you as it reads on the menu is pan roasted rump of lamb which is delicious in the way it’s simply done. The cooking method I think you are trying to refer to is “sous vide” which offers more consistency and is a slower way of cooking which would make the lamb very tender and equally delicious. But no, not sous vide it was pan roasted. (Were not that posh!)

When you finished eating you were politely asked if you enjoyed your meal and you answered yes which was evident with the clear plates. So It was a surprise to read your comments about how you found it disappointing? We didn’t offer you dessert menus because the second your mains were finished you disappeared back to your room and short of chasing you upstairs with the menu we decided it was clear you were finished.

I do wish when people write theses reviews they would be completely honest and fair rather than using it as a method to either bully or punish restaurants and hotels.

Regards,

Daniel

Reviewed 3 November 2017

We stayed at the Farthings for two nights using a Buyagift voucher we received from friends for our birthdays which included dinner on the first night. The hotel is cosy and comfortable with traditional decor and friendly staff. The food in the restaurant was good but the menu is somewhat limited for vegetarians with a lot of meat based dishes and only one unimaginative veggie option on the mains menu. Also the hotel keeps geese and chickens for meat which might be a bit difficult for vegetarians to see. Prior to our stay I had received a telephone call from a stranger who had tried to book at the Farthings but received all of my personal details (address, telephone number etc) including my credit card details on a booking form by mistake rather than a blank booking form. I phoned the hotel immediately to let them know of their mistake and ask that my sensitive data be protected. They said they would clean their system and apologised for the mistake but I didn't receive information about how many people my data had been sent to or any form of compensation for this breach of data security. When we checked in I mentioned it again but the staff member on duty didn't know anything about it. As we had dinner and drinks on the second night and had to pay an uplift for cooked breakfasts and teas and coffees, it would have been decent of them to give us a discount on the extra £100 we spent there following this mistake. Cleanliness was not a strong point with cobwebs, hair and dead flies in the bathroom and around the ceiling in the bedroom. I did report a nest of ladybirds which looked to be hibernating above the curtain pole but some of them were moving about the room so I requested for them to be gotten rid of but my request wasn't actioned during our stay so i mentioned it again when we checked out.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple