Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Theatre magic

Lovely little theatre, haven’t been for some time due to illness but just like the place as it is... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Blondie16170
Wakefield, United Kingdom
via mobile
Very good panto, go every year love it

Go to the theatre often would highly recommend it. The new drinks room is very nice, much better... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
suzie0
Wakefield, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews beauty and the beast john godber front of house front row london palladium second half tribute band many occasions panto cast stage production interval cinderella dame audience play
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Great shows not over priced friendly staff in a area of town to hav3 a nice drink before or after the show

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

If visiting the area well worth watching the theatre here. Lovely interior. Regular productions. Reasonably priced. Rarely disappointed by what we see

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 19 July 2017

My girlfriend & I went to see Giovanni Pernice at this venue last night.
I didn't know who Giovanni was but he turned out to be a decent sort and, apparently, a stalwart of the Strictly Come Dancing TV series, something I strictly miss when it's on TV.
He gave a good show, along with his supporting dancers, and was quite funny and witty, to boot- he won over the crowd as a good pie would win over John Prescott.
As to the venue, well, we didn't have time for the bar as I'd rushed home from work, and Transpennine, who must have heard of my upcoming soujourn, decided to make things interesting by delaying my train- slight snowfall in Paraguay, or something.
Anyway, we got there and took to our (upper circle) seats which provided good leg-room but a slightly blocked view of the stage, as we were right at the end of a row.
The building is really tasteful and, apparently dates back to 1894, albeit I'm told it was refurbished sometime in the not too distant past.
It's a nice place to while away a couple of hours.
The staff are knowlegable and dead friendly.
At the interval you can purchase small tubs of ice cream which are expensive, at £2:50 each (and they are small).
The audience in the upper circle area consisted of women (who were mostly up dancing and, yes, screaming) with the exception of me and two other blokes, all of whom got into the spirit of things by staying awake, and breathing in when our host, Giovanni, took off his top and got his abs out...to be honest, apart from his looks, physique, agility and personality, it has to be said that Giovanni was no different from us three!
Overall, then, a good night in a nice venue, in my humble opinion.

Date of experience: July 2017
TRWMarketing_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Theatre Royal Wakefield, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Thank you for your lovely comments. Please come back soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

An atmospheric retelling of the classic, keeping close to the story itself. The theatre it sufficiently intimate to feel involved as part of the audience. The production communicated the emotions and the events of the dark tale superbly. The gloom was lifted by some quality ice cream, though. Great evening.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 25 May 2017

What a beautiful little theatre! Started the evening with a drink at Unity Hall across the road then straight in to the theatre. Staff were very helpful and welcoming. The theatre is small but very comfortable, plenty of leg room. The show Hairspray was fabulous, the music,costumes, acting and the "ad libs" brilliant. We paid 12.50 for our tickets and well worth every penny! Car parking straight across the road (added bonus) 4.00
I would definitely recommend this show for all.

Date of experience: May 2017