Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Fabulous

Beautiful old theatre. With a great atmosphere. . Ive seen various shows here and enjoyed everyone... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
helenr888
Wakefield, United Kingdom
via mobile
Jamie raven show

Excellent venue for shows whether it be a comedian or a Christmas pantomime. Great for all ages... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Debra B
via mobile

All reviews upper circle frank matcham front of house london palladium second half full monty tribute band coffee bar staff were very helpful added bonus an ice cream car parking panto stage cast production interval
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

If visiting the area well worth watching the theatre here. Lovely interior. Regular productions. Reasonably priced. Rarely disappointed by what we see

Reviewed 19 July 2017

My girlfriend & I went to see Giovanni Pernice at this venue last night.
I didn't know who Giovanni was but he turned out to be a decent sort and, apparently, a stalwart of the Strictly Come Dancing TV series, something I strictly miss when it's on TV.
He gave a good show, along with his supporting dancers, and was quite funny and witty, to boot- he won over the crowd as a good pie would win over John Prescott.
As to the venue, well, we didn't have time for the bar as I'd rushed home from work, and Transpennine, who must have heard of my upcoming soujourn, decided to make things interesting by delaying my train- slight snowfall in Paraguay, or something.
Anyway, we got there and took to our (upper circle) seats which provided good leg-room but a slightly blocked view of the stage, as we were right at the end of a row.
The building is really tasteful and, apparently dates back to 1894, albeit I'm told it was refurbished sometime in the not too distant past.
It's a nice place to while away a couple of hours.
The staff are knowlegable and dead friendly.
At the interval you can purchase small tubs of ice cream which are expensive, at £2:50 each (and they are small).
The audience in the upper circle area consisted of women (who were mostly up dancing and, yes, screaming) with the exception of me and two other blokes, all of whom got into the spirit of things by staying awake, and breathing in when our host, Giovanni, took off his top and got his abs out...to be honest, apart from his looks, physique, agility and personality, it has to be said that Giovanni was no different from us three!
Overall, then, a good night in a nice venue, in my humble opinion.

TRWMarketing_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Theatre Royal Wakefield, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Thank you for your lovely comments. Please come back soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

An atmospheric retelling of the classic, keeping close to the story itself. The theatre it sufficiently intimate to feel involved as part of the audience. The production communicated the emotions and the events of the dark tale superbly. The gloom was lifted by some quality ice cream, though. Great evening.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

What a beautiful little theatre! Started the evening with a drink at Unity Hall across the road then straight in to the theatre. Staff were very helpful and welcoming. The theatre is small but very comfortable, plenty of leg room. The show Hairspray was fabulous, the music,costumes, acting and the "ad libs" brilliant. We paid 12.50 for our tickets and well worth every penny! Car parking straight across the road (added bonus) 4.00
I would definitely recommend this show for all.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

First time at Wakefield Theatre since it was revamped and what a pleasant surprise. Having a wheelchair in our party, we found the staff to be very friendly, courteous and helpful. Bar prices a bit high but that's the same for most theatres. Seats were comfortable with enough leg room. All in all a very pleasant evening.