“Favourite cafe ”

Add it.
Cafe Valente
Ranked #199 of 297 Restaurants in Darlington
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I've been coming to this restaurant every week for over 5 years!! Friendly welcoming service. Food excellent and always a great selection. Would definitely recommend

1  Thank Steph S

Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

I knew something wasn't right when the food hygiene scores on the doors sticker wasn't displayed, since found its only 3 stars! Second clue was it was empty!
Popped in for breakfast with friends, cutlery, crockery and tea pot were dirty.
fried egg not quite cooked, bacon just cooked, sad excuse for a sausage, plate filled with beans to hide the lack of anything else.
Woman on checkout angry and not interested in feedback.

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

Just sat in cafe now having eaten the full English which was cold and served on a plate that a tea cup would not look out of place on.
The 1 sausuage was the non descript 50 for 10p variety, the yolk was broken and hard, the bacon was tasteless, No tomatoes or black pudding.
The coffee was nice though and the place was clean.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

A very friendly cafe/restaurant serving not posh nosh at reasonable prices.

My sister and two friends all enjoyed our meal, with my lasagne being voted the dish of the day! It was packed with lean meat, wonderfully tangy with fresh tomatoes and topped with creamy cheese. Delicious.

I was asked if I'd like a bowl of salad with it (I did) and it was excellent.
Super-fresh, it comprised a good portion of potato salad, along with tomatoes, beetroot, grated carrot & sultanas, peppers, cucumber and lettuce. It was a meal in itself.

I'm unsure whether this was a standard accompaniment or if it is served and charged as an additional side dish. Either way I'm happy, as it was far superior to the average limp offering elsewhere.

It's a pity the only salad dressing available was mayo. A simple, light dressing would have topped it off perfectly.

My companions' pork sandwiches and carrot & coriander soup were satisfying and tasty. However, the frozen chips let down an otherwise splendid homemade spread.

One further small criticism/suggestion: The laminated menus felt rather greasy and grubby. This didn't give a nice first impression, and while our visit overall was lovely, the tactile memory of this has lingered.

This point is easily rectified I'm sure.

We'll all be doing the 'touch test' on our next visit! ; )

1  Thank Annette J
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Popped in for lunch with my partner and mother to order 3 "HOT roast pork, stuffing and gravy rolls". They were all served cold, and sent back only to be microwaved and come back out crisp and solid. Only positives were how this was all dealt with by the staff on duty who offered a replacement and removed them from the bill.