“Weekend away”
Review of The Antelope Hotel

The Antelope Hotel
Ranked #40 of 49 Poole B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 September 2017

Our second visit to this hotel once again friendly staff . Our room and bath room were lovely and clean the bed was so so comfortable and the duvet light and warm.Breakfast was a good selection and the cooked was cooked to order. Only criticism the breakfast room is very dark can,t read the newspaper.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

This is the letter written to the management , still no reply
My husband and I stayed at The Antelope for one night (17th August 2017). This was a stop-over on our way to a family wedding. On our arrival we were greeted by helpful, friendly staff (Emma being one) who pointed out the parking facilities and then showed us to our room (Room 6)

This was where our disappointment began! After having travelled for three hours I was keen to use the bathroom, only to find that the toilet had not been cleaned after the previous occupants (skid marks in the toilet bowl!!) We reported this to reception who got onto it straight away while we had a complimentary coffee.
After about 20 minutes we were able to occupy our room. The room was tired, in need of decorating and bringing up to date, but at least the toilet was now clean! The door to our room had holes in it that were plugged with tissue paper! The ceiling looked as though it had been patched up (perhaps after a leak?) The shower left a lot to be desired! It was not a room that you would want to spend any amount of time in, so we went out to explore Poole and had a lovely afternoon and evening.

Upon retuning to our room the disappointment continued. Firstly the main light didn’t work so we had to rely upon the bedside lights. Secondly there was an awful smell of drains that emanated from the bathroom in waves. I don’t know what triggered this, but when it emerged it was extremely offensive!

We paid £100 for the privilege of staying in this room!

Upon checking out, we were asked if everything was alright with our stay. I believe in being honest, so highlighted all of the above. It was explained that the inn is a listed building so restrictions are placed on what can be done. While I understand that you have to seek permission for any major works, surely maintaining a reasonable standard for your rooms should be a basic requirement in light of the way that your rooms are advertised?

"The Antelope's rooms are of the highest standard, all having mod cons."

"comfortable bedrooms, making it the perfect place to get a great night’s sleep after a busy day"

I am only glad that we were just spending one night there! I would certainly not stay there again, nor would I recommend it to others. It is a shame because the hotel is well situated and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast too was good. However if you are not prepared to spend the money and get the basics right this totally spoils the experience. I hope that you will take this review on board and that future occupants of room 6 have a more pleasant stay.

Don't go

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

I came to Poole looking for a nice stopover before heading to Jersey and Guernsey. The inn is very centrally located. When I checked in I had to wait several minutes to be greeted. Once greeted the staff was very friendly. I decided to have dinner and left after waiting 20 minutes to order.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2017

As reviews go this is awful. Avoid this place like the plague . I do hope the below either gets the operator of the hotel to do something or gives prospective tenants the want to look elsewhere .
As with the previous reviewer, this place is a dump . Far too expensive and in desperate need of some TLC and decent management .
Pictures attached show the state of the bathrooms . My missus asked me to go to reception and ask for bleach before using the bath . The mould is every where .
The rooms are very small , the TV didn't work in the room , the state of repairs is DIY at the best , the car parking awful , the reception stank of a mixture of stale beer ( from the bar ) and damp off the leaking roofs . Yep there were buckets collecting water with slippery surface signs !!
There are no good points with this hotel .
What would be reasonable time for a full breakfast to be served .. 15 minutes ? Would you have walked out of breakfast after 30 ... we did ... needless to say we didn't have breakfast at day 2 .
Paying the bill .... despite being told twice they had deducted breakfast costs for two days .....what appears on the bill ... yep you got it 4 breakfasts ...
With 23 rooms how many car parking spaces would you consider reasonable .. 15 , 20 ... try 10 . And woe betide you if you park in the wrong spot of the pot holed , none lit dump of a car park . The car park is remote from the hotel , across the road down a non lit alley across a pot holed , road stone chalked finish with signs everywhere saying do not park here or you will be clamped , towed away without warning . When you do find those parking spaces marked Antelope they are up a corner , crammed in like sardines and certainly not the sort of place to leave valuables in your car .
You can't get a drink at the bar , the staff are all usually outside having a fag . The cutlery in the breakfast area is filthy ( someone needs to sort the dishwasher out . ) .
The DIY door alterations were the best I have ever seen . All were the same with white tape over the original key barrels . See pics .
The hot water is suppose to ( under ACOP L8 RA . ) exit the tap in 30 seconds of opening at operating temperature of between 55 and 60 C ( unless blended ) . Wait on . Again some needs to look at the HWS return pump and fix it .

Had this been a budget priced hotel one could put up with the odd problem but at near £150 per night they are having a laugh .

Never ever again .

Room Tip: Go elsewhere .
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Enmark2017
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend have just come back from our stay at the antelope and we were extremely disappointed for the following reasons ....
1.BATHROOM
The bathroom looked like it had not been updated in about 25 years. Every time I sat on the toilet seat it wobbled. As well the bathroom had zero ventilation which caused it to smell.
2. BREAKFAST
Breakfast was included in our stay and unfortunately it was terrible. The English breakfast was not freshly done, you could tell it had been left under a light or been re-heated. Additionally because the hotel had no "kitchen management" they had "ran out" of yogurt, fresh fruit and croissants!
3.ROOM SERVICE
We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and our room was only serviced 2 out of 3 days. On the second day we were still in our room when the cleaners wanted to sort it out (which was around 11am). Instead of them waiting for us to leave to sort it out they literally just threw in some tea and coffee supplies, we had to ask for fresh towels before they ran off!!
4. CLEANLINESS
The cleanliness of the hotel was disgusting. When we sat down for breakfast our cutlery was covered in dust (hate the think how long it had been sat there for!) as well the table was covered in dust!!! So much so I could actually write the word "dirty" on the table!!!! Wish I had took a picture now!!
5. CHECKING OUT
When it was time to check out I was caused unnecessary stress by the receptionist. The receptionist was adamant I had not paid when in fact I paid months ago. It took her about 15 mins to get my record of payment up on the computer. Although I do understand I should had printed some sort of proof of payment for my record.

If your thinking of booking this hotel then PLEASE DONT!! Highly advise AGAINST everyone staying here after my recent experience.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple