“Dissapointing”

Ranked #8 of 448 Restaurants in Ipswich
Price range: US$ 23 - US$ 60
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Within easy walking distance of the town centre, Ipswich's most original restaurant, Mariners, is an antique Dutch customs gunboat, moored along Neptune Quay. You can relax in its wonderful atmosphere and its polished brass ambience. From a quick snack for lunch on the upper deck to a romantic dinner on the lower deck, it is the perfect place for an evening on the sea front.
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

We were invited to Ipswich to visit family and friends and were recommended Mariners as one of the best restaurants in Ipswich. We had a table for 4 booked for 8pm. We arrived promptly and were seated. We had a drinks order taken, one bottle of red and a bottle of Prosecco. The wine waiter came to the table with a bottle of brut sparkling, not Prosecco, this had to be pointed out to him before it was rectified. We then waited half an hour before our order was taken, we went straight for main courses as we were eager to be served. We then waited over 40 minutes for our main courses. I noted that guests who came in after us were served there hot starters before this. I was slightly confused. If guests don’t want starters then the mains should be cooked immediately upon the order hitting the kitchen.
Once the food arrived it was clear why there was a delay, my halibut was woefully over cooked, such a shame as it is the best eating fish and ordered as a treat. The risotto was also complete devoid of seasoning. You should not need to season your own food at a restaurant like this.
When raising these issues with the person who said he was the manager we were met with contempt and told it was not unreasonable to wait that long for food, despite not ordering starters and that I should of raised my issue with the food earlier.
Throughout the whole evening the service was inept and incompetent. Nobody seemed to know what they were doing and nobody had any overall control of the dining room. Essential in running a smooth service in what markets itself as a high end restaurant.
Overall I was incredibly disappointed with the experience. We don’t get to visit the friends and family often and when we do we enjoy a nice meal out. I certainly won’t be keen to return here.

1  Thank MrHirst

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We have eaten at Mariners many times, this is my most favourite restaurant in Ipswich. However, we had not been there for a while & I didn’t like the changes!
On a Saturday evening I would expect a romantic candle lit meal, instead there were bright light, no candles & no real atmosphere. No music in the background. Plastic table mats.
The food was lovely but we waited over an hour for our main course. They were very apologetic & gave us a glass of wine each on the house.
It just seems to have lost the sparkle it once had. Not the fine dining experience we had in the past, such a shame but could be easily fixed.

1  Thank 674victoriab77
Reviewed 23 October 2017

My first visit to Ipswich. The Mariners Restaurant was a short walk from our hotel so it was booked.
I had Fish Soup as a starter which was unusual for a French Restaurant in its spicing and flavours. I really liked it, a light brownish fish boullion.
I then had Mussels , which were plump and fresh.
The wine list is excellent, I went for an Alsace Pinot Blanc, which was great.
Service was attentive and friendly.

5  Thank AlexWembley
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

My partner and I were invited to a wedding. The after wedding meal was held here.

What can I say. The setting, the staff and the ambiance were top class.

After the party arrived we all sat down and baskets
Of bread were brought to the tables. As well as a glass of Buck’s Fizz. I declined this as to be honest I can’t stand it and asked for a glass of peroni instead.

We had a starter which was a bit of toasted bread with parsnip purée. Slices of parsnip with mushroom and some pieces of Parma ham. The flavours were gorgeous.

The main was pork loin nicely cut with dauphinois potato and a variety
Of veg. It was delicious. That was nicely polished off.

The desert was apple pie with a kind of treacle sauce on top with ice cream.

This was a fantastic place to eat. Everything was excellent. Obviously we did not pay for the meal so can’t give a guide to prices but will give this a ten out of ten for service, setting and food. Very highly recommend if in Ipswich

1  Thank John S
Reviewed 15 October 2017

We turned up at Mariners last evening without a booking on the off chance that we could get a table. We were lucky and they were able to accommodated us.We had a fantactic meal which we could not fault. The atmosphere in the restaurant was amazing and the staff were equally as impressive. We would like to thank everyone involved for fitting us in and making our evening so enjoyable, not forgetting the chef and their staff. We would thoroughly recommend this restaurant and we will definately be returning. Thank you.