“Really Enjoyed it.”

Ranked #12 of 456 Restaurants in Ipswich
Price range: US$ 24 - US$ 63
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Within easy walking distance of the town centre, Ipswich's most original restaurant, Mariners, is an antique Dutch customs gunboat, moored along Neptune Quay. You can relax in its wonderful atmosphere and its polished brass ambience. From a quick snack for lunch on the upper deck to a romantic dinner on the lower deck, it is the perfect place for an evening on the sea front.
Reviewed 23 October 2017

My first visit to Ipswich. The Mariners Restaurant was a short walk from our hotel so it was booked.
I had Fish Soup as a starter which was unusual for a French Restaurant in its spicing and flavours. I really liked it, a light brownish fish boullion.
I then had Mussels , which were plump and fresh.
The wine list is excellent, I went for an Alsace Pinot Blanc, which was great.
Service was attentive and friendly.

5  Thank AlexWembley

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

My partner and I were invited to a wedding. The after wedding meal was held here.

What can I say. The setting, the staff and the ambiance were top class.

After the party arrived we all sat down and baskets
Of bread were brought to the tables. As well as a glass of Buck’s Fizz. I declined this as to be honest I can’t stand it and asked for a glass of peroni instead.

We had a starter which was a bit of toasted bread with parsnip purée. Slices of parsnip with mushroom and some pieces of Parma ham. The flavours were gorgeous.

The main was pork loin nicely cut with dauphinois potato and a variety
Of veg. It was delicious. That was nicely polished off.

The desert was apple pie with a kind of treacle sauce on top with ice cream.

This was a fantastic place to eat. Everything was excellent. Obviously we did not pay for the meal so can’t give a guide to prices but will give this a ten out of ten for service, setting and food. Very highly recommend if in Ipswich

1  Thank John S
Reviewed 15 October 2017

We turned up at Mariners last evening without a booking on the off chance that we could get a table. We were lucky and they were able to accommodated us.We had a fantactic meal which we could not fault. The atmosphere in the restaurant was amazing and the staff were equally as impressive. We would like to thank everyone involved for fitting us in and making our evening so enjoyable, not forgetting the chef and their staff. We would thoroughly recommend this restaurant and we will definately be returning. Thank you.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

Arrived late in Ipswich and checked out trip advisor for somewhere to eat. We found this place which had mixed reviews. We arrived 40 minutes too early but decided to see if there was a bar where we could get a drink. The waiter seated us at our table (which was ready) but then told us we wouldn't be able to order any food till 8.30 which the time of our booking! We thought that rather strange but went along with it but someone else came over and took our order and served us anyway. I ordered a Bellini but was brought a Buck's Fizz. When I pointed that out, I was brought a pear Bellini - but was too embarrassed to ask for a proper Bellini.
Overall we had a good meal. The portions were generous and well presented. My husband had the lamb which he says was excellent. My tofu stir fry and mash potato were far too salty. The restaurant's called Mariners and I expected it to be a specialist fish restaurant but the fish dishes on the menu sounded mediocre and uninspiring as was my fish dish.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We have visited many times over the years. But I am afraid thks was probably our last.
They are trying to modernise things. Although the plastic plate mats don't do it for me, we loved the traditional fine dining experience it used to be.
The seasonal set menu is limited in choice. Also the a'la carte is also lacking in choice. There used to be quite a selection of dishes, but we struggled to choose. Nothing stood out that would make you want to order.
The food was as usual tasty and well presented. Very tiny portion of Veg for 2, with only one piece of broccoli to share.
There are a lot of restaurants now in Ipswich to choose from, so things need to be top notch to make me visit again.

1  Thank Keith H