“Fantastic location but food was mediocre.”

Mariners Restaurant of Ipswich
Ranked #8 of 448 Restaurants in Ipswich
Price range: US$ 23 - US$ 60
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Within easy walking distance of the town centre, Ipswich's most original restaurant, Mariners, is an antique Dutch customs gunboat, moored along Neptune Quay. You can relax in its wonderful atmosphere and its polished brass ambience. From a quick snack for lunch on the upper deck to a romantic dinner on the lower deck, it is the perfect place for an evening on the sea front.
Reviewed 15 October 2017

Arrived late in Ipswich and checked out trip advisor for somewhere to eat. We found this place which had mixed reviews. We arrived 40 minutes too early but decided to see if there was a bar where we could get a drink. The waiter seated us at our table (which was ready) but then told us we wouldn't be able to order any food till 8.30 which the time of our booking! We thought that rather strange but went along with it but someone else came over and took our order and served us anyway. I ordered a Bellini but was brought a Buck's Fizz. When I pointed that out, I was brought a pear Bellini - but was too embarrassed to ask for a proper Bellini.
Overall we had a good meal. The portions were generous and well presented. My husband had the lamb which he says was excellent. My tofu stir fry and mash potato were far too salty. The restaurant's called Mariners and I expected it to be a specialist fish restaurant but the fish dishes on the menu sounded mediocre and uninspiring as was my fish dish.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We have visited many times over the years. But I am afraid thks was probably our last.
They are trying to modernise things. Although the plastic plate mats don't do it for me, we loved the traditional fine dining experience it used to be.
The seasonal set menu is limited in choice. Also the a'la carte is also lacking in choice. There used to be quite a selection of dishes, but we struggled to choose. Nothing stood out that would make you want to order.
The food was as usual tasty and well presented. Very tiny portion of Veg for 2, with only one piece of broccoli to share.
There are a lot of restaurants now in Ipswich to choose from, so things need to be top notch to make me visit again.

1  Thank Keith H
Reviewed 2 October 2017

This restaurant always manages to get it right! Excellent food and wine and competent and attentive staff . A restaurant not to be missed.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Me and my partner were here for a cream tea and we were both very well impressed with it and the staff are very friendly and helpful as well and it was only £6.95 for the both of us.

1  Thank glynn a
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely quirky place in Ipswich if you fancy somewhere a bit different. The food is incredible and they do a great selection of french wines