See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Dexter, a gorgeous, thick-set, powerfully built bulldog, was excellent company when I stayed at the Ashgrove guesthouse in Copdock, near Ipswich. So was Colin, his master (although sometimes I couldn’t really tell who was in charge). He set me up for the day with a terrific breakfast, starting with honey and yogurt (a great combination), closely observed by Dexter. Colin spent the first 15 years of his life in Kenya. His dad worked for Tusker brewers in Nairobi. Colin had an antique Kenyan instrument like a small marimba that made beautiful sounds. It’s a lovely house, nicely decorated, quiet, in the countryside. They let one small suite of rooms to up to four people. It was £35 which wasn’t bad. I rang about 20 B&Bs before I found this one, cross-referencing to Trip Advisor.

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We were looking for a base to explore Ipswich and Suffolk.Along with myself I was travelling with my wife and 14 year old son,this b&b had two rooms, so we tried it out.The owners [Colin and Jan] were so friendly that we felt that we were visiting relatives.
The accommodation itself was spacious and very comfortable and the breakfast was superb quality and cooked perfectly.We sat in the beautiful garden and later,
enjoyed some games of snooker as we listened to a wonderful duke box and were encouraged to feel at home by the hosts. Highly recommended.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have just returned from a brilliant weekend exploring Suffolk, and stayed at Ashgrove Guesthouse. What a delight. Your own self contained 'suite' of Lounge, two bedrooms and bathroom (actually a 'wetroom'.) Colin & Jan are superb hosts and as others have said, treat you more as friends. Nothing is too much trouble, local knowledge of places to visit is in abundance and their home and garden are lovely. The food is delicious and Colin's Full Breakfast just has to be experienced, and Dexter the Bulldog is a real character. If your looking for the perfect base to explore Suffolk, this is it. We'll definitely be returning !

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and I, both bus pass holders, were so impressed by the overall standard of welcome, accommodation and food I have decided for the very first time to add a comment on Tripadvisor. In short if you wish to stay in a beautiful home in a superb setting with a genial host with a handsome Bulldog then stay at the Ashgrove. Thank you Colin for Thursday night (8 Aug) and a breakfast that could not be faulted. Next trip for the relatives will include you. Thanks again. Nev and Coral.

Date of stay: August 2013
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

What a find - excellent value for money, beautiful guest suite (two bedrooms, lounge and bathroom, totally self contained) together with a wonderful breakfast each morning. Perfect! Colin & Jan welcome visitors into their lovely home and make them feel like friends. Use of their games room was an added bonus, as was the presence of Dexter the bulldog, who made friends with all of us ( but was never allowed near the guest accommodation, for those who are not so keen on dogs). The lounge was a big plus for us as a family of four (specially catered for as the suite is really for three) as we could all be together to talk or watch a film and have a bedtime drink together, something we struggle with in hotels when we are in two bedrooms. Would recommend to anyone visiting the area. Oh, and the beds are super comfy and the area very quiet so slept like proverbial logs.

• Trip type: Travelled with family