1,532 results
All reviews copper bath sail loft marina room the penthouse salt house sister hotel scallops lovely hotel suffolk breakfast in bury st edmunds car park afternoon tea front facing small balcony boutique hotel huge bed breakfast in bed
Reviewed 23 September 2015 via mobile

We enjoyed an excellent stay in this dog friendly hotel. The staff could not have been more attentive and helpful. Small touches made a big difference...a spacious room, car taken away at reception to be parked on arrival, even dogs bowls provided! Food in the Eaterie was good, especially breakfast which included many local ingredients and products. We will look forward to a future visit.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wellesian
LynnCowan, General Manager at Salthouse Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2015

Dear Wellsian

Thank you so much for your kind words and I am delighted you and the dogs enjoyed your stay.

You are all very welcome to come again - there is an excellent Dog Day at Helmingham Hall every year you might want to attend?

Lynne Cowan

Reviewed 22 September 2015

Very welcoming, got a free room upgrade which was a nice surprise, great view of the harbor! Felt like I was in Monaco! Vey helpful staff even phoned the room to see if I needed anything, great breakfast, highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank mamaof22015
LynnCowan, General Manager at Salthouse Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2015

Dear Mamaof22015

That's brilliant to hear - so glad you had a great stay.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 22 September 2015

This is potentially a good hotel, but there are a number of underlying problems, making it seven out of ten.
Firstly the location is great if you like boats and the lively waterfront scene. Also the valet parking, which is essential. Then there is the staff who are polite and the food which is good, but portions are small. After that it's all downhill I'm afraid.
The very good rating is generous because this hotel is aiming high. Our room was large but tired and in need of decorating, and there was a constant background noise from perhaps a boiler flue.
We eat in the hotel which is expensive and had arranged to meet my sister in the hotel bar, but there isn't one?! Instead there was a lounge area, but that was inadequate in size and most tables reserved?! Reserved not for eating, but for sitting down at to have a pre dinner drink! We were invited to move on and ushered into the dining room early because other people were arriving who had priority.
In the restaurant the staff were polite but, on three occasions we had to remind them of our requests. Once I had to leave the table to do this. It seemed that a request for another glass of wine for instance was passed on from the waiter to the barman, but then the waiter took no further interest.
Service was slow and as previously mentioned portions were small. Items like bread for the table was an extra and was not offered.
After our inadequate expensive meal we retired to the lounge, where having learnt the form, we had RESERVED a table. From there the poor service continued. Just how long do you wait for a drink? We considered 15 minutes long enough and asked again.
I wouldn't recommend the place and am reluctant to award it a very good rating, but average would be unfair because it's mainly a lack of organisation regards who does what with the service issues. BUT it needs more public space, and that really is a problem at busy times.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the harbour
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank addlethorpe

Dear Addlethorpe

Many thanks for your considered feedback. I will certainly take your points on board and we will look at ensuring service standards remain at a very high standard throughout our guest's stay.

Reviewed 21 September 2015

A high quality and slightly quirky hotel on the marina. Splendid rooms, comfortable and spacious, opening windows and no air con (hurrah), together with some of the most accommodating and friendly and non corporate staff. Excellent fine dining in a restaurant which is a little noisy but with great atmosphere. I would cheerfully return.

Worst I can report is that bathroom taps that need instructions are the wrong taps.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank John S
LynnCowan, Manager at Salthouse Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2015

Dear John S

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write this review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit and that our staff made you feel welcome.

We will also take into consideration your comments regarding the bathroom taps!

My team and I look foward to your return to us.

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 September 2015

First of all "Star Points": Wonderful, quirky, arty boutique hotel; Very friendly and helpful staff; great views over the harbour and river Orwell; Clean and very comfortable, especially the bed: Food, and to round it off an excellent, eclectic and well priced Wine List ( try the Champagne Ruinart Rose-it's delicious) So what's not to like: nothing really. We arrived on a quietish Thursday but by Saturday the place was rocking. Lots of people having lots of fun. That said we slept like babies, there was no outside noise whatsoever. My wife loved it and thought the place very " theatrical". Do pay the extra for a harbour view ( if available) it is well worth it. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: Pay for harbour view
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
LynnCowan, Manager at Salthouse Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2015

Dear DomaineFaverot

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Salthouse Harbour Hotel, and for taking the time to write this fantastic review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and that you will continue to recommend us to your family and friends.

My team and I look forward to your return to the Salthouse.

Kind regards